OtherkinPhenomena: Forum

Full Version: When I talk about faeries, I mean...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is it fifth? I don't know the count off the top of my head. They were the ones said to have come from the Four Cities in the north of the world, and/or can be conceived of as in the sky; though modern conceptions often place them in the esoteric east, south, west, and north of this world rather than of the east, south, west, and north of some other specific land/realm. The People of Dana/Danu or also called the People of Skill.

From my limited experience with Tuathan otherkin, they are not humans and not elves either, but can resemble either or both; they may also be Sidhe, but not all Sidhe, in turn, are necessarily TdD.

I really hesitate to use the word "faery" for them, and I don't recall any of the Tuatha I've met describing themselves that way, though there were times in the past (of the otherkin community I mean) where some folks would talk about coming from Faery lands or other similar otherworldly places ("the Tir", I expect referring to Tir na nOg, and other various "Tirs" were sometimes mentioned) in the same breath as calling themselves both Sidhe-meaning-TdD and Elves.
It depends on one's definition of faerie. From the versions of the myths I've read, the Tuatha de Danann were considered deities, but one of the theories on where faeries come from I've heard is that they are old gods. There are also things that get lost in translation and I haven't read any Irish mythology in several years.
It also depends on etymology. One of the definitions of "elf" is faerie. The word faerie/fairy/whatever other spelling comes from the French "fée" which I'm guessing was brought to England by the Normans.
Come to think of it, what exactly does the word "faerie" encompass anyway? What is the definition of "faerie.?"
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's