OtherkinPhenomena: Forum

Full Version: The evils of Catholicism (and other Judeo-Christian fun)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Archer Wrote:
WhiteFox Wrote:I feel the same way. Especially in America, that's where you have mostly Protestant denominations running the field. You don't see the same kinds of social issues going on in mostly Catholic Europe now do you? Granted, there are different countries all together in one area, so each country has their own issues, but with major things like abortion and homosexuals, they're pretty much resolved in their own way in each place. Overall it's a lot quieter than here, from what I hear from friends in those areas.

This is pretty funny. Do you know that in the Republic of Ireland, people can be ARRESTED and sent to jail for handing out leaflets telling people how to get an abortion in the UK (where it is for the most part legal)? That's right - in that one Catholic country (I couldn't say for sure about others) not only is it illegal to get an abortion, but you can go to jail for telling people they can get abortions in other countries.

Those issues might be "resolved" quietly and without fuss, but careful not to object to the Church, otherwise your ass could be in jail.

Ahhh just like like old times...
OBEY THE MOTHERHUMPIN CHURCH!

I swear I feel thats like the motto of the catholic church, Obey the clegry or go to hell.

That's not what I meant. For example, Spain doesn't accept abortion and everyone knows that. But that's also the accepted policy, there's not all those rallies for pro-choice and constant fights against any clinics like there are in the US. Or in England, abortion is legal there, and people pretty much accept it as that. No huge movements or fights like in the US either. Ireland I can't say since I don't know anyone who lives there. I was thinking of mainland Europe and England anyway since I'm more familiar with them, and they're more prominent in the news.

There's no need to get pissy at me, we don't even know each other. As I said, the information I received were from people who live there, so I would assume them to be accurate.
Archer Wrote:This is pretty funny. Do you know that in the Republic of Ireland, people can be ARRESTED and sent to jail for handing out leaflets telling people how to get an abortion in the UK (where it is for the most part legal)? That's right - in that one Catholic country (I couldn't say for sure about others) not only is it illegal to get an abortion, but you can go to jail for telling people they can get abortions in other countries.

Those issues might be "resolved" quietly and without fuss, but careful not to object to the Church, otherwise your ass could be in jail.

I'm sorry, but those arent laws enforced by the Catholic church by any means. That is Ireland completely...and Ireland has ALOT of issues. You shouldn't try to make it sound as if the Vatican controls the goverments of some countries-or as if the Catholic Church sends around inquisitors.
WhiteFox Wrote:That's not what I meant. For example, Spain doesn't accept abortion and everyone knows that. But that's also the accepted policy, there's not all those rallies for pro-choice and constant fights against any clinics like there are in the US. Or in England, abortion is legal there, and people pretty much accept it as that. No huge movements or fights like in the US either.

"Not having fights" is a bad thing when there is blatant injustice. When there is injustice, fights about it are GOOD. Civil unrest in an unjust situation is a sign that things are working properly.
Myenia Wrote:I'm sorry, but those arent laws enforced by the Catholic church by any means. That is Ireland completely...and Ireland has ALOT of issues. You shouldn't try to make it sound as if the Vatican controls the goverments of some countries-or as if the Catholic Church sends around inquisitors.

Those laws are not enforced by "the Catholic Church" however they are enforced by a country which has those policies based PURELY on what the teaching of the Catholic Church is. Does the Vatican control countries of governments in which the governments and people are almost entirely composed of devout Catholics who as a matter of conscience believe the head of the Vatican is infallable and appointed by God Himself?

Does the Vatican even need to send around inquisitors when the majority of a people will willingly follow its ideals?

No, the Vatican does not directly control the governments of Catholic countries - but it does set policies which those Catholic countries follow as they believe that, according to Vatican doctrine, everything that comes from their glorious leader is directly the will of God (with a Capital G).

I don't get bent out of shape about "Muslim countries", but I am unfortunate enough to live nearby a state bound up with extremist religion, and as such I find it deeply sinister.
Well, I think the difference is its the political leaders. Its not the Catholic Churches fault that they do it (it was theirs a long time ago, however). Kind of like what many people argue about Jesus and Christianity...its not Jesus' fault that some of his followers do some dumb stuff in his name.
Myenia Wrote:Well, I think the difference is its the political leaders. Its not the Catholic Churches fault that they do it (it was theirs a long time ago, however). Kind of like what many people argue about Jesus and Christianity...its not Jesus' fault that some of his followers do some dumb stuff in his name.

Well we can agree to disagree on that, but when someone stands atop a mountain and says "I am God's representative, my word cannot fail, do as I say or your soul will burn forever in hell!" . . . and that someone's organisation does everything it can to present the idea that it is the One True Way and work its way into everyone's everyday life . . . and people then believe it and follow it . . . "fault" might not be the right word, but it is exactly the intent.

If I post a website saying "Here is the name, address, and photo of a child molester - go kill him!" and a mob burns him out, those individuals chose to follow my orders but my orders were given with the straightforward hope that people would obey. Shouting "FIRE!" in a theatre, and such.
Am I the only one that finds 2 Americans talking about the politics of Ireland a bit weird?
Kreyas Wrote:Am I the only one that finds 2 Americans talking about the politics of Ireland a bit weird?

Who other than Myenia was discussing the politics of the Republic of Ireland?

I don't find it particularly weird though, I mean most Europeans have long since given up on the RoI (oooh look, current affairs reference! Hilarity!).
Archer Wrote:
Kreyas Wrote:Am I the only one that finds 2 Americans talking about the politics of Ireland a bit weird?

Who other than Myenia was discussing the politics of the Republic of Ireland?

I don't find it particularly weird though, I mean most Europeans have long since given up on the RoI (oooh look, current affairs reference! Hilarity!).

I think Kreyas mistook you for being an American.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Reference URL's