Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
totem-kin?
Myenia
music student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

totem-kin?
Has anyone ever heard of this? I mean, a spirit that was a totem being incarnated...couldn't that be very possible? What do you think would be the characteristics determining the difference between, say, a wolf therian and a wolf totem kin?
2008-03-31 4:08
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: totem-kin?
Isn't there already marked differences between wolf spirits and actual wolves? The most notable that I remember is the difference in social need- wolf spirits are the "lone wolves" and actual wolves travel in packs.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-03-31 11:30
Find
Give Thanks
Selcar
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: totem-kin?
I think this mostly depends on how one defines, or believes a totem works - but most of the possibilities that I can reason out seem to be fairly improbable. I'm sure there have been claims of it within the community, but I do not recall any specific occasions off hand. It is an interesting idea though. But I see the individual and personal totem of a person to either be an aspect of the self manifesting in an external manner, or an aspect of an archetype being invoked/envoked by the person (archetype in this manner being something akin to a "god form" of that symbol, a collection of all the belief/energy that has been directed to a particular symbol over time). It is unlikely that either of these would incarnate, unless the host in the former idea was "broken" and incarnated in various aspects of their former self. The other meaning of totem is an energetic being that protects or guides a group of people, clan, race, area, etc. Which I would think just as unlikely to incarnate as either of the two former, since it is a protector of multiple people, it's role and job is to watch over them - when that role is removed, it may be possible that the totem dies and then reincarnates, but that would depend on one's particular view on when an entity (particularly a created one) becomes subject to the reincarnation cycle. The last is the energetic creature to guide an individual person, which I think most of the reasoning of the group totem applies, I also think this situation would be the most rare occurrences in terms of totems.

"Justice, like lightning, should appear, to few men's ruin but to all men's fear."

[Image: Selcar.jpg]
2008-04-03 20:53
Find
Give Thanks