Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do you define a dragon
farlane
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

how do you define a dragon
it is my opinion that most of us have a different definition of a dragon, as there are a lot of them out there, so my question is, how do you define a dragon ?

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
2008-02-17 21:04
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: how do you define a dragon
I have found one, and only one definition that I've felt is both specific enough and vague enough to define dragons as a whole.

Quote:"So how do you define a dragon?" I was asked.

"Uh, er. Um." I did not answer. I didnt even attempt to answer, and swung the conversation elsewhere until such time as I could answer. Thats actually a question no ones ever asked me before. Unbelievable, I know. When conversation headed back in that direction I still didnt have an answer, but now I do.

"A dragon," I would have said, "is large and awesome and encompassing, so large it fits into the spaces between things and often is not noticed at all. It is dangerous, and aggressive. It breaths fire. It eats people. But it does not do this all or most of the time; it dwells on the potential of courses of action and that is, usually, enough.

Dragons know the truth about things. They frighten people. They frighten people by knowing the truth about things, and by not caring. Or by saying the truth you didnt want to hear, speaking fire at you and burning away the old things. You aren't afraid the dragon will eat you; you're afraid the dragon will notice you, judge you, and find you unworthy of their time. You're afraid the dragon will notice you at all.

The dragon's afraid you'll notice them. Often they would prefer not to be notice or bothered, but left alone so they may observe things from afar. They study things with a detached interest, often reluctant to interfere. They study things and detach them from the value system in a way that can be upsetting, for they do not place more inherent importance in people in preference to crickets. They sometimes fail to view themselves in the larger picture through a desire to be apart and alone and left alone, to be the impassive observer, in the scene but not an active element most of teh time. Unless a catalyst strikes. Actions may seem capricious, but often spring without apprarent warning from a firm base of prolonged thought. They are old. Very old, but they dont care much about this. Its years, things pass and change, but mostly stay the same within patterns.

Dragons know who they are and are so comfortable in this that they may seem arrogant, when really, they just know who and what they are and don't feel a need to seek external confirmation and reinforcement. They often operate outside the standard and accepted parameters of things because theyve judged the system and don't find it useful. Unuseful things (and people) are not respected, no matter how potent. This is part of a values-free philosophy...or rather, the nod to the idea that one should probably value their values rather than getting them as hand-me-downs.

Dragons are their own system. They are thus on the whole neither good nor evil, helpful nor uncaring, friendly or introverted. They are islands.

Dragons are small, medium, or large animals with a reptilian or mammalian or saurian or avian cast, who may or may not have wings, may or may not eat people, may or many not have an intrinsic alignment along an axis of good and evil, may or may not have an elemental affiliation, may or may not like knitting. Sometimes, dragons are lonely because of the people they successfully discourage, by being too honest about themselves and others, by never actually seeking contact, by being too big and arrogant and eating the neighbors dog.

Dragons are not aloof for the sake of being aloof; they are aloof for the sake of not stepping on people, but secretly, because theyre quite afraid of being stepped on. They want people to be without being interrupted, and want the same for themselves. Although...it is easier to observe and not be known. Not everyone can hurt them, but the right people can. The right an accurate people can hurt something big and intense because dragons are not perfect.

They are an archetype and a powerful one, but real dragons know that nothing is above the need to learn, nothing is above mistakes, and nothing is above the ability to be hurt. Dragons walk softly because of this. To hurt someone else is to possibly hurt yourself in the long-run. Consider it enlightened self-interest at the very least. Some of them are loud. Generally, dragons are not seen unless they wish to be seen. Some wish it more than others. Dragons like stuff. Some of them have manners; they always have manners but often tilted toward getting to the root of things and being honest. If they respect you. If not, all bets are off.

Dragons are prone to retreating into their own mental worlds, but this is not good for them. Dragons need friends too. They need new experiences, they need things to wake them up. They need people banging on gongs and reminding them to send the rain. Dragons are fierce and loyal and endless and eternal, and they are large, if not in shape than otherwise. Dragons are graceful and reachable and part of a mythos. Dragons are distant and cold and unreachable, for they encompass each a shard of the unknown, even to themselves.

Dragons all have something in common with other dragons, but they cannot say what it is. They dont know. They'll try to discuss it anyway, because they like to ponder, but they know that the thing they have in common with each other is visible only in small shared moments, and not visible in an attempt at a larger concept. Dragons have presence and inspire awe and fear and they have the ability to have no presence at all. They often walk silently. If you ask them to speak, they will. If you invite them, they will accept if they feel like it. And you might not like it, because they speak for the sake of whats being said, and may answer questions and take up offers that the host was unaware of making. If you ask them if they are godlike and perfect, the smart ones will say no, and the hearts of the unsmart ones will say no as well even if their minds say yes.

Dragons are a class of things, each unrelated to the next, but obviously part of a cohesive and sensible whole.

Dragons are about opposites and the containment thereof. They contain opposites by embodying dualities. They hold opposites within themselves comfortably, as part of themselves, and yet they exist. Perhaps this makes them grumpy at times, to balance so many things, to see that there may not be a one right answer but to understand the rightness of all the smaller answers.

Dragons understand two things: that change is necessary, and that preservation is necessary, and that nothing really ever changes.

Dragons challenge people. They dont eat them if they fail, but the feel sad and angry sometimes when too many of their challenges go unmet and unanswered. Asking questions is one modality of interacting with the world. They dont want to hurt people, even if their challenges and healing seem radical and aggressive and frightening. They want to share the one thing any dragon really treasures, which is information and ideas. They want to share it so that it might propagate, so that it will last and change and eventually come back to them. They want to watch the process but are sometimes afraid to be drawn into it. They sometimes are the process, at least by power of will, and do not exclude you from it but you would never think of sharing that space with them.

Dragons are vital and alive and grounded and ethereal and dualistic and whole and utterly touchable and enigmatic and frighteningly violent and gentle and perfect and flawed and aloof and arrogant and loving and charmingly shy and in need of friends.

That is what dragons are."

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-02-17 21:16
Find
Give Thanks
Silyon
HS student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I think I can just copy and paste my FAQ from another site here, rather than re-writing the whole thing again.

Quote:A dragon is generally depicted as a rather large, scaly, winged lizard. That's following strictly according to myths and dictionary definition, however. As I'm sure most people will realize, myths get distorted with time and dictionaries rarely cover a topic in full.

In actuality, The term "Dragon" covers a rather large, loosely connected group of creatures with very few related characteristics. Generally speaking, as one must when discussing the dragon community as a whole, Most portray themselves as European in body type (That is to say, Large, six-limbed lizards), though a dragon may just as easily be more snakelike in form, or even bird-like.

Mentality holds most of what defines a dragon. European myths depict them as mindless monsters bent on destruction, while Asian mythes hold them as important guardians or even gods. Of the two, the guardian mentality seems to fit most dragons.

It's worth mentioning that a large number of dragons may or may not be more aware of energetic happenings, and have a general drawing to more occult practices. Many tend to move away of commonly held beliefs, in favor of following what makes sense to them on an individual basis.

In short, Dragons are individuals. Nothing more or less.

That should cover it. Cheers.
2008-02-17 21:16
Find
Give Thanks
farlane
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I forgot to put this in before.

to me a dragon is anything that would fall under the title dragon , dragons, drakes ,wyverns, see serpents, wurms, lung ,ect.

it is a generic term like monkey.

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
2008-02-18 19:40
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I have always found it easier to define what a dragon *isn't*, rather than what it is. But what I consider to be not-a-dragon differs from others. *shrugs*
2008-02-19 20:35
Find
Give Thanks
sparky
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I've always had a hard time defining dragons, specifically because so many people/dragons use the term as a sort of catch-all when they can't determine what else the creature should be. This makes for a bit of a conundrum for me, since I view dragons as being much more specific; like the term wolf or dog rather than canine, or worse, mammal. In reference to the monkey comment, the term dragon does seem to be used like the word monkey, if by monkey you mean monkey, ape, and gorilla - as well as a whole ton of other creatures that don't seem to quite belong in the group but don't seem to belong anywhere else either. It's as if the terms canine, wolf, dog, fox, etc. didn't exist and someone saw a fox. Most likely they would classify it as a feline, if they had to put it somewhere since that would likely be the closest thing. Obviously though, there are enough differences between the fox and all the other felines that it needs it's own category. Similarly, I believe that many things that aren't quite similar enough to dragons (western), oriental dragons, drakes, wyverns, and wryms have been called dragon simply for lack of anything else to call them. And I wish there was a category for these other creatures just as I wish there was a better distinction between dragons the species (western dragons in my mind) and dragons the category. If we had these distinctions, it would be much easier to tell what was a dragon and what wasn't; and thus define what a dragon is.

However, despite that, I do like the description Deros found. I've read that before though. And although I'm not certain I am dragon kin, I find a lot of myself quoted within that description.
2008-04-28 20:59
Find
Give Thanks
Granamyr
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I think culture could play a major role in the definition of Dragon. What is a dragon in one culture may be considered a minor serpent in another. Medieval Europeans, with their very Western idea of dragonkind, would have a hard time seeing the Eastern dragons as true dragons, prolly labeling them as giant fish or sea serpents.

For myself, I wonder if dragons are spirits that have manifested to human beings throughout our history. Why they manifested in such diverse forms I know not. What they are in their essence...I can only wonder.
2008-05-03 22:23
Find
Give Thanks
farlane
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

that is very interesting granamry, i do believe that culture plays a very big part in the definition of a dragon is and that is one of reasons that everyone has a different definition

2008-08-13 17:47
Find
Give Thanks