Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woman suffers stroke, now has phantom THIRD ARM
Svaenohr
Professional weirdo
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Woman suffers stroke, now has phantom THIRD ARM
A stroke victim has developed a phantom third arm which she uses 'just like a real-life limb'.

Tests have proven that, not only does the woman's brain 'move' the arm as if it was real, but also the rest of her body responds when it is 'touched' by the phantom hand.

Read the rest:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.html?Woman_with_%91a_phantom_third_arm%92&in_article_id=613271&in_page_id=2">http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/article.ht ... _page_id=2</a><!-- m -->

Ich bin ein Diener des Lebens.

Pi = An irrational number.
2009-04-09 3:04
Find
Give Thanks
Granamyr
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Woman suffers stroke, now has phantom THIRD ARM
Phantom limbs have been known about for quite sometime but studies like this are interesting because it shows people aren't making it up. It also shows that our brains can create the experience of phantom limbs and no appeal to being Otherkin or supernatural things need be made.
2009-04-09 3:55
Find
Give Thanks
Svaenohr
Professional weirdo
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Granamyr Wrote:Phantom limbs have been known about for quite sometime but studies like this are interesting because it shows people aren't making it up. It also shows that our brains can create the experience of phantom limbs and no appeal to being Otherkin or supernatural things need be made.

Indeed. I felt the same way.

---Pi

Ich bin ein Diener des Lebens.

Pi = An irrational number.
2009-04-09 6:43
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

And it is also credible evidence that phantom limbs should probably NOT be used as diagnostic of kin type.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-04-09 15:33
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I didn't really get my 'wings' until after I decided I wasn't entirely human, not before, and they don't stay fixed. So I don't really use them as an indication myself. I could probably end up with any phantom limb I wanted if I thought about it long enough.

I'm edging closer to the idea that otherkin is a perfectly natural thing for some humans to be. It's not one or the other. It's both.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-04-09 17:59
Find
Give Thanks
Rain
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Motley Wrote:I didn't really get my 'wings' until after I decided I wasn't entirely human, not before, and they don't stay fixed. So I don't really use them as an indication myself. I could probably end up with any phantom limb I wanted if I thought about it long enough.

I'm edging closer to the idea that otherkin is a perfectly natural thing for some humans to be. It's not one or the other. It's both.

Mm? I didn't know that people thought being an otherkin was unnatural... it seems rather normal.

~~~
2009-04-09 19:57
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Motley Wrote:I'm edging closer to the idea that otherkin is a perfectly natural thing for some humans to be. It's not one or the other. It's both.
Isn't it obviously natural?

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-04-09 23:30
Find
Give Thanks