Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wild or Mild
Gryff
Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Wild or Mild
Forgive the somewhat self-serving nature of this topic, but I think it's something worth discussing. Centaurs are hard to pin down, because there are so many different recent interpretations. In D&D, they are proud and territorial. In Harry Potter, they're still proud and territorial, but also they're into astronomy (seriously, WTF?) But to me, the real centaur is that of classical Greek mythology. To me, centaurs are really wild animals with a human guise. That is, we look partly human, and we can talk and act like humans, but in the end we're just wild and crazy pleasure-seekers. Seriously, some of the related stuff in Greek mythology is...not for the faint of heart. It doesn't make us look good.

The thing is, we are not alone here. Mythology is introduces a number of similar creatures, such as minotaurs and satyrs. The latter, in particular, are quite similar to centaurs. Minotaurs..I'm not really sure. In any case, this idea of a guise of humanity interests me greatly. A centaur is neither a human nor a horse, yet when you see a centaur, you see a horse-man. A wild animal that looks like a human. It makes me wonder what living that way would be like.

A crazy centaur with too much to say
2012-06-05 4:22
Find
Give Thanks
Chimera
Wild Librarian
Kintype: Large mixed-origin multiple system
Otherkin: No
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Wild or Mild
That is how it is in mythology for adlet. Human body from the upper half but literal dog legs from the waist down. There isn’t a lot of information on them outside of that were wild and hunted like any other predator and the Inuit feared them. Course, anymore do to how they were seen by the Inuit tribes and their appearance they’ve gotten lumped in with werewolves sometimes.

Of course the guise of being humanoid but still not being human is something I’ve always found interesting (and annoying if other otherkin consider that because my kintype is more human-like, then likewise my kin identity is somehow not as strong as those ho are fully bestial). A number of ways these various creatures appear to be part human and part another animal but that doesn’t mean they literally only act like a mix of the too and that is their otherkin identity.

- Lunatani
2012-06-05 11:47
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

I've always seen centaurs more as hybrids rather than strictly wild animals (besides that, horses were domesticated after all). But the same is true in my opinion of critters like harpies, satyrs, mermaids, etc. I guess it's due to the fact that they physically resemble humans, or actually have human parts, and thus must have some sort of 'humanity' whereas a wild horse, etc. would not.

Wild horses have their own social network and hierarchy that they follow which is sort of like 'animal culture'. Therefore, a centaur would be a mix of the two since they are a physical mix of human and horse. Same holds true for the other hybrids I've mentioned. They're neither just human nor just 'animal', but rather an equal mix of both. Therefore I'd think as a culture, they'd have their own sets of customs using a combination of their wild 'animal' parts and human parts.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2012-06-05 13:31
Find
Give Thanks
Gryff
Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Perhaps. I still see it more as a disguise, though. The question is, what do we mean by human culture? Mix or wild, a centaur culture would certainly not have the same morals and social rules. Again, centaurs can talk and act like humans, but to me, the core basis of the culture would stem from the animal side. At the epicenter of most human cultures I know of, there is (in theory) a core set of social rules. We are taught to respect each other, to work hard, etc. I really don't see that basis being the same for a centaur community.

A crazy centaur with too much to say
2012-06-05 19:34
Find
Give Thanks