Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walk-In, Walk-Out
Lacrimosa
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Walk-In, Walk-Out
What would happen if a Walk-In stepped in to a body, and the being originally occupying that body just went away without much word of protest, and then after some time the Walk-in decided to leave the body?
Let's note that being that originally occupied the body just left and is not coming back to it.

So what would happen to that body? Die? Go into a coma?
Thought it would be interesting question to ask, as it bugs me lately.
2010-05-16 13:21
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Re: Walk-In, Walk-Out
No idea. We've wondered too, and wondered whether a sole occupant can walk out at all. We've never heard of any cases like this...but then, we haven't put a lot of effort into looking.

-Shaynin

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2010-05-16 16:14
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatonia</a><!-- m -->

Some kind of catatonia, I imagine. Assuming a body could survive without a mind powering it.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2010-05-17 0:54
Find
Give Thanks
Lacrimosa
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Ha I thought about it too, kinda...
It reminds me of K-PAX tho. Then again it's that kind of a movie I guess...
Scary. Body without any being inside. Just a shell. *shiver*
2010-05-17 18:30
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Archer Wrote:Assuming a body could survive without a mind powering it.

"Mind" is the operation of the brain. It's the activity of a meat computer. If souls exist, they're still not necessary for a human or any other Earth animal to sense, think, and feel.

Under my system's theory of what souls are and what they're like, actually, what I'd most expect is that a partial or even full copy, having all of the same body-based attributes - memory, instincts, sensory limitations - would have to remain inside. We consider a soul to be the accumulation of such attributes, shedding biologically-impacted ones like instincts and gaining new ones from new experiences as it ages and outlasts any corporeal bodies it's attached to.

But I don't think anyone here can make an authoritative case for whether souls exist and, if they do, what they're like.

-Shaynin

2010-05-18 1:22
Find
Give Thanks
thetwins
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Our best guess is if you are the last one in the body your options for 'leaving' are going to be much the same as if you were the only one to begin with. Which means walking out probably isn't going to happen at that stage of the game. Would more likely be a 'turn out the lights, lock the door and hit the self-destruct button on the way out'. Not going to claim we really understand the connections between one's sense of self and all that comes with that and the physical wetware that is the brain. But somewhere and somehow there are connections. And we just can't see those connections being something you can turn off with a thought alone if you are the only one there.

Wolf & Raven

[Image: thetwinsbanner.png]
2010-05-18 1:57
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

House Hesson Wrote:
Archer Wrote:Assuming a body could survive without a mind powering it.

"Mind" is the operation of the brain. It's the activity of a meat computer. If souls exist, they're still not necessary for a human or any other Earth animal to sense, think, and feel.

Under my system's theory of what souls are and what they're like, actually, what I'd most expect is that a partial or even full copy, having all of the same body-based attributes - memory, instincts, sensory limitations - would have to remain inside. We consider a soul to be the accumulation of such attributes, shedding biologically-impacted ones like instincts and gaining new ones from new experiences as it ages and outlasts any corporeal bodies it's attached to.

But I don't think anyone here can make an authoritative case for whether souls exist and, if they do, what they're like.

-Shaynin

I don't believe in "soul" as an attribute of itself, as in the popular idea of an extra ingredient or part of an individual. To me "soul" is simply shorthand for those attributes of mind and consciousness that make an individual unique. As such, I believe that if an entity is sensing, thinking, feeling - then by definition it has "soul". On the other hand, then an entity without soul is necessarily one without consciousness/sapience/sentience - and as such, catatonic.

To think of mind as the activity of a meat computer, to me, contradicts my experiences as being an energy being who was conscious and aware even at times that I lacked connection to a physical body. It seems that other non-physical entities communicate and behave in ways that imply consciousness and will. This says to me one of two things:

1 - "mind" is not a function of "meat computer", for any reasonable definition/understanding of "mind"
or
2 - non-physical entities that appear to have will and be communicative are in fact very convincing, but mindless, simulcra

The first option seems more plausable to me. "Mind" appears to be an attribute associated with brains, but also with non-physical entities. As such I'd say it's an emergent property of certain complex systems, whether brain or not.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

2010-05-20 1:57
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I neglected to define my scope as being humans living on this planet. In that case, I am fairly well convinced by the scientific evidence that "mind" is the functioning of "brain". Brain activity accounts for all of the functions and perceptions attributed to human mind. Any other species differs, at minimum by having a different kind of brain.

-Shaynin

2010-05-21 0:51
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

If by "mind" we're simply referring to the properties of consciousness/awareness/sapience/memory that seem to be the result of brain activity (whether from a "meat machine" or "energy machine" or something else entirely, hell for all I know Google is aware) then that sounds exactly like "soul" to me anyway.

Given my general dislike of the S-word, despite my lack of explanatory and reminder notes, I'm pretty sure that's what I meant when referring to a body sans mind.

I am reluctant to say that comatose or catatonic people are lacking a mind/soul, given that such people can recover - and most especially, recent developments in using brain scans to communicate with people who seemed to be vegetative.* In that situation, the mind/soul isn't gone - it just can't easily access body functions and/or process some thought.

*Coolest research ever. An fMRI can be used to show changes in the content of some thoughts. Specifically, "picture your house" looks like one thing on the scanner, and "imagine you're playing tennis" looks like another. Comatose, unresponsive patients were asked to visualise playing tennis while being scanned, in a "think about tennis for yes, or your house for no" kind of way. And some were able to communicate.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

2010-05-21 1:38
Find
Give Thanks