Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Various Prevention Definitions
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Various Prevention Definitions
How would you define the terms: "ward", "binding", and "seal"? Are they different? Are they not? Are they just different names for a single all-powerful definitive word? Are there other things that can go into this group? Other related questions are welcome.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-02-26 23:59
Find
Give Thanks
BlissfulIsis
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: Various Prevention Definitions
To me they all mean different things:

Ward - protective shield
binding - containing or tying something to an object
Seal - close

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
2008-02-27 3:37
Find
Give Thanks
Ges
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

*nods* Largely the same as BlissfulIsis.

A Ward refers to either a shield, or a point of emanation for a protective field. So a Ward can refer to a shield itself, or to an icon or energy source that aggravates/repels something.

Binding refers to two things, depending on tradition. The way of constraining something into an object, the first thing that comes to mind is Binding a spirit into the Brass Vessel. The other way I've seen Binding used, is to refer to the constraints put upon a person, binding them to prevent them from leaving their body, or working magick, etc.

Seal is totally different, as a Seal refers to a symbol of power. The two most common examples are Spirit Seals, like those of the Goetia, which is essentially a symbol that is a Spirit's telephone number. The other is something like the Hexagram, Pentagram, or Seal of Solomon, which are more protective symbols, and are all good examples of a Ward as well.

[Image: neverforgetm.png]

When we first begin all things simply are.
As we grow all things are external.
As we learn all things are internal.
As we understand all things are not.
2008-02-27 5:21
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Hm. For some reason, I have a completely different idea of wards. Wards, for me, are spells of discouragement. For example, if you want people to stay away from an area, you put a ward over it. If a person's intent enough on going there, there's nothing that can stop them, but the average person will find some excuse not to go there. Personal wards work the same way. If someone has a ward against working magic, the idea of working magic will make them uncomfortable, and various parts of themselves may even rebel when violating the ward.

For binding, I have to agree with the attachment definition.

Seals I see as the same as bindings, except that they use some kind of symbol of power to work.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-02-27 12:50
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I'm with Ges on this one.

Ward = A thing you place on something or someone for the sake of safeguarding it. (This is how it can work for you Deros. Ward a site against unwanted people... )

Bindings have been defined enough already.

Seal = Symbol of power.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-02-27 14:22
Find
Give Thanks
Taiaka
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

My definitions lie within the range of responses I think:

A ward is an energy(ies) placed on a person, place or thing, and used as a catalyst for various purposes depending on the intention and method of the caster.

A bind is any combination of energy set on a person, place or thing for the purpose of strengthening individual energies. Like, you can bind wards. The proverbial Djinn in a bottle is a binding.

A seal is any combination of binds, wards or energy(ies) used to fetter, break, or prevent other energies from disapating, charging or discharging. Like, you can seal a ward....or you can seal a bind...rhombus/square kinda interchangability if you know what I mean.

Tai

"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

[Image: smokersigwt8.jpg]
2008-03-10 22:45
Find
Give Thanks
lemur
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I think they are definitely different, though of course they all serve the basic purpose of prevention/protection against something.

ward = sort of a shield (as in, "ward of mosquitoes", in this case "ward off negative energies", etc etc)
bind = tie two things together, I suppose. As in, making one have to be tied to the other and maybe sometimes vice-versa.
seal = closing something in some cases, though I can also see the meaning of "seal" as in a symbol of power.
2008-04-18 9:25
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I tried my hand at defining some of these. When you guys come up with explanations that see rather agreeable to the rest, let me know here:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://otherkinphenomena.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=73">viewtopic.php?f=27&t=73</a><!-- l -->

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-04-18 9:45
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

The traditional defenitions are those that Ges posted.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-04-18 16:57
Find
Give Thanks