Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of the Term "Vampire"
Chimera
Wild Librarian
Kintype: Large mixed-origin multiple system
Otherkin: No
Contribution: tick tick 

Use of the Term "Vampire"
I've always had misgivings with how the word vampire has come to be used due to the unfortunate implications that can arise with differentiating between people who have a need and people who have an identity. Phrasing like “people who identify as vampires are not vampires,” “if you don’t have a need you’re not a vampire,” “real vampires have a need,” and so on.

The meaning behind the phrase is simply that vampirekin do not have to be sanguinarians or pranavores, however, the use of the word “vampire” and phrasing like the above also implies that people who identify as vampires aren't really vampires, they just think they are.

Being vampirekin I continue to find this weird and a bit unnerving. Imagine if, in an alternative timeline, there was a community for people who experience shifting to a wolf and called themselves werewolves but there was another group who didn't shift but simply identified as a werewolf, and the former said things like “If you don’t shift, your not a werewolf” or "people who identify as werewolves are not werewolves." Its just leads to unfortunate implications in my mind. Like my otherkinity is less because people who have a blood/energy need came along and took use of the word some years ago.

- Arron
2014-05-17 15:35
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Use of the Term "Vampire"
It bothers us greatly when people say that. In our minds, vampirekin have more of a right to use the term than people in the Vampire Community due to vampires having, historically, been a mythological creature and not just someone who feels that they have an energetic need. It also makes more sense, to us, for someone who's vampirekin to use the term.

- Arawn/Lestat

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2014-05-18 0:34
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Chimera Wrote:Like my otherkinity is less because people who have a blood/energy need came along and took use of the word some years ago.

This, in my mind, is just another example of people acting like their version of being 'kin is better than other peoples just because their experiences differ a bit. And that's just plain stupid and immature.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2014-05-18 1:11
Find
Give Thanks
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Switch out "vampire" with "goth" and we have that whole late 90's early 2000's debate again.

The trick is, what do we define as "vampire"

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2014-08-31 0:09
Find
Give Thanks
Sonne
vampiric mongoose-cat
Kintype: cat, horse, mongoose, theropod, vampirekin
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution:

RE: Use of the Term "Vampire"
Yeah, I've experienced frustration before regarding the use of vampire by psi/sangs and how that makes it so much more difficult to find other vampirekin, more particularly annoying when psi/sang vampyrism is treated like it, itself, falls under otherkin (rather than, for example, alterhumanity in general) and actual vampirekin get basically erased. I've come to accept that they are the much more numerous users of the term vampire compared to vampirekin and they have their own reasons for using that terminology, so it's really the erasure or denial of vampirekin that gets on my nerves.
You'd think it would be a more common 'kintype than the seemingly few it appears to be, but maybe a lot of vampirekin don't realize they are such, possibly also being psi/sang or thinking they might be so they go to that community instead, and/or they are basically erased or lost among the mass amount of vampire (in any sense) related stuff. It's really unfortunate. However, I've made it a point to make my vampirekin experiences and writings on such more accessible for those who do happen to have a vampirekin identity; it's the best thing I can do to help out other vampirekin so hopefully they won't feel so alone.

My therianthropy and spiritual writings: [Image: 07sanctuary_sig.gif]
Poly'kin of: mongoose, domestic cat, domestic horse, winged theropod (erdenvogel), and vampire'kin (blutpir) [not a pranic nor sang kind of vampire]
(This post was last modified: 2021-04-27 3:21 by Sonne.)
2021-04-27 3:16
Find
Give Thanks