Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unique Kintypes
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Unique Kintypes
When someone first spoke the word "Otherkin" to me and explained what it meant, I felt a peculiar sensation. I felt at once cynical, mocking actually, hopeful that, perhaps, someone had seen through my artificial walls for once, and extremely defensive. My response was incredulity, but my curiosity had been piqued. I found Otherkin.net and soon began consuming all the available information about kintypes and their details.
Initially, I despaired. There was nothing "like me" to be found, though I was hardly certain as to what I was like to begin with. All I knew is that I wasn't whatever all of the other 'Kin were.
The concept, however, that I could be Otherkin, would plague me for years, though any details beyond that would remain elusive.

In eight years, I have discovered the following details about myself.
I am not like any commonly accepted kintype.
I feel phantom sensations and extreme incongruity with my body.
I have vampiric tendencies.

That's it. I have had a number of "revelations" regarding kintype, multiplicity, and other such things but have eventually admitted to myself, and to others, that all of them were untrue, mostly based on a passing interest with whatever species or anything else.

I've been lurking rather than posting for a while now, more or less decided that I'll just never know what I am, or if I'm Otherkin at all. However, recently, the idea of unique kintypes has presented itself again and again. I've felt encouraged by the idea that I may not find a profile already laid out of what I am and what that means for me. I may have to write my own.
As a result of this discovery, I plan to delve again in search of valuable nuggets of information and I encourage you all to do the same. Know thyself. I'll use this thread to post additional insights on this topic, and I hope that someone will comment, especially those who do have unique kintypes, about awakening and the "phases" of knowing and not knowing. Feel free, even, to post a description of your kintype so that others in the future might find helpful clues.

I'm posting this here because I feel that I ought to contribute something to the continually slowing and fluff-ridden forums that I belong to. Unfortunately, at the moment, it is all that I have to contribute.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-07-24 17:01
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Unique Kintypes
Odo ital = unknown sample = no thing = nothing

I'm not sure I spelled Odo's name right. It's been ages since I watched Deep Space 9. That sad little story just stuck in my head for some reason.

It's admirable that you don't hold on to the things that don't fit.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-07-24 17:54
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

I've already posted a thread about my kintype over in the celestials thread. I'm complicated, I identify as a celestial, I am a Balancer, and thus polymorphic. While I identify celestial as my kin type I also have tiger and gargoyle aspects.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-07-24 18:04
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Hot damn, your lucky for being especially unique (good to see your still about, by the way). Here I am, a yankee stereotype of a dragon, and the more soul searching I do the more I fit too well into that typecast.

Since exploring my draconic nature, I have researched even the most obscures draconic legends, myths, poems, stories, and artwork. The more I learn about the diversity and beauty that lies within how versatile and unlimited dragons can be in what they are, the more I recognize myself as the default option.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that. It’s just on the boring side compared to the fanatical stories I hear from other draconic otherkin which seem so much more creative while mine’s right out of a King Arthur tale.

Not that this deters me from continuing researching and questioning. It’s just disappointing to see how well I fit into the packages of first assumptions and monotony my kinship falls into.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-07-25 9:59
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Question for the original poster - if you don't know what you are but think you're potentially otherkin, then all you're saying is that you think you aren't human. Why is that? What's your evidence - and I include even hunches and feelings as evidence - ?

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-07-25 23:09
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Well, bodily incongruence/dismorphia has been a big clue. The rest is general feelings, a lack of ability to empathize with people around me, phantom limbs. The fact that I'm drawn to the idea so strongly doesn't really feel like a significant indicator.

2008-07-26 0:16
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Don't take this the wrong way...but those traits/feelings basically make you human...they don't point straight to otherkin-ness.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-07-26 0:25
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'm very aware of that. =]

2008-07-26 0:36
Find
Give Thanks
flarablaze
Deciding which way I want to go
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I find the more "unique" kintypes to be ones that haven't ever been heard of in human myths. Beings like, for example, simim. Even myself could be considered a sort of typical kin... after a fashion of course.

I find that beings whose origins and appearances are so far beyond the scope of human recognition, to the point where they must be drawn or described to be the most "unique".

Is that what you meant?
2008-07-26 0:56
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Malakoi Wrote:Well, bodily incongruence/dismorphia has been a big clue. The rest is general feelings, a lack of ability to empathize with people around me, phantom limbs. The fact that I'm drawn to the idea so strongly doesn't really feel like a significant indicator.

Not being able to empathise with people is such a vague and common thing that Idon't think it's useful in diagnosis.

Which leaves you wit hthe body dismorphia and phantom limbs.

IMO, the question should not be "Am I otherkin?" or "What kind of otherkin am I?" - it should just be "What could cause my sensations of phantom limbs?"

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-07-26 2:15
Find
Give Thanks