Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tumblr
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Tumblr
So I recently started looking at tumblr, because I am well behind the internet times.

I happened to search Otherkin as an interest.

What in the name of all that we have worked for happened!?

It is as though the Otherkin Community and its face has degraded back to the myspace days. This is horrifying.

Anybody want to speed me up to date or direct me to something not terrible in terms of the current Otherkin community?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2015-02-02 2:27
Find
Give Thanks
Rein
Nuisance
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: Tumblr
Hahaaaaa, tumblr.

Long story short: Tumblr's toxic 'Social Justice' scene tried to link itself into the sect of the 'kin community that had migrated there (or vice-versa, not sure which way it went exactly) some years back. There was a fad period in which a certain (loud) niche group of 'kin tried to be a voice for otherkin "acceptance" (I'm looking at you Swanblood), which they ended up doing very wrong. They offended the transgender community, among others, non-kin started looking at the tag and saw all the fluffsters, and since then the tag has dissolved into a clusterfuck of trolls trolling trolls and kids being misled into thinking 'bunny' is a gender. It's a real mess.

Folks like RogueSareth and Seraphyna have blogs on there and try to fight it best they can, along with some other folks, but it's....yeah.

That place really needs more sane kin to drown out the noise, but the site itself is not conducive to that purpose. Personally I'm often on the verge of leaving it myself. I really only stay to follow webcomic/scenery/art blogs and a few other things. Waiting patiently for Inkstand to launch to see if that's any better.
2015-02-02 3:14
Find
Give Thanks
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

That's what it appeared to be.

Mainly my concern is that, while there are a ton of trolls and cynical folks playing jokes at it, the volume or support for so called "fictionkin" or folks with new kintypes every 36 hours (or everytime they discover a new hobby).

Can you give me a timeline? I cannot for the life of me figure out how to determine the age of posts on Tumblr.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2015-02-02 4:36
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Welcome to Tumblr, where you're an elitist gatekeeping bitch for trying to uphold the integrity of a community and the definition of words older than most of these morons...

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2015-02-02 13:50
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Tumblr is...a giant waste of anyone's time. The style of posting/sharing/linking is stupid and really disorganized and the overall feeling is simply "I'm always right no matter what bullshit I dish out and you're wrong, so I hate you! whinewhinewhine"

Which is the entire reason I stay as far away from there as possible. If someone goes to Tumblr and is serious about their 'kin identity, they will eventually find their way to a forum where discussions work better.

It's just the new social media that's the latest fad but it's stupid. I'm hoping it dies out in favor of forums soon!

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2015-02-02 14:31
Find
Give Thanks
Arethinn
Grump
Kintype: Sidhe/Fae, Dragon
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution:

#otherkin on tumblr is a cesspool. Occasionally people try to come up with "hidden" tags, but as far as I know they have always failed due to cross-contamination with the standard #otherkin tag and the fact that tumblr has no privacy controls (unless you want to make an entire account private). I gave up on it after my ignore list got to over 2600 people (not a typo; I mean two thousand six hundred) mostly from blocking trolls and hate in that tag.

Not-terrible is pretty much boards like this (see also Embracing Mystery, Otherkin Community), the few lists that still have any traffic at all (namely, Elfinkind Digest and Elven-realities), and the otherkin communities on LJ and DW, both of which are also very low traffic. I don't touch Facebook otherkin groups with a ninety-foot pole (actually, I barely touch Facebook at all with that).

BTW, I'm silveth on tumblr if anyone cares to follow me, though I post a rather eclectic mix of stuff and am not solely focused on otherkin.

Formerly known as Eshari.
arethinn @ tumblr and Dreamwidth | shyfoxling @ DeviantArt
2015-02-02 20:32
Find
Give Thanks
skorpio
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

From my limited experience of Tumblr, it appears to be something routinely exploited by people desperate for attention by trying to convince people that everything they say is the truth. Words that barely exist (cisgender, headcanon, obesogenic) are extracted from obscure academic papers or just made up on the spot. Variants of feminism appear that are so radically detached from its actual definition that they should not considered to be credible in any way. I tend to lurk a lot more than actually post (on this forum, the only one I've bothered to properly participate in), but a lot of what I find in relation to otherkin is incomprehensible and wildly out of context with whatever loosely established definitions or ideas have been used for the past twenty years ago simply as labels to make communication easier, as if none of this ever happened. Although published several years ago, the articles on Gawker (http://gawker.com/5940947/from-otherkin-...y-politics) and Totally Dublin (http://totallydublin.ie/more/entry-level-otherkin/) are mortifying, if obviously exaggerated for effect, any avenues for serious discussion have been partially closed off due to initial impressions formed by reading these, even if they don't quite reach the level of cancer found in the original material.
2015-02-09 0:31
Find
Give Thanks