Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trauma?
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Trauma?
Some multiples are so as the result of trauma (often childhood abuse). As I understand these cases, typically a singleton responds to extreme trauma by splitting into multiple system-members.

Some multiples are the opposite - rather than one person splitting into many, several people have prior, independant existences and become merged, living in one body.

In general, non-otherkin multiple groups tend to have more of the first (splitters), while otherkin multiple groups tend to have more of the second (joiners).

So, here's the question. Do differences of origin - a person splitting vs people combining - mean that the two kinds are different enough that it's not helpful to describe them under one label, or are they essentially the same despite differing origins?

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2010-01-09 3:47
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Trauma?
I'm not sure if it would be helpful necessarily, to completely separate the two catagories. Probably, one would need to do significant research before one could eliminate the possibility that the two are related. I think it would be beneficial to study the mechanism by which both of these occur, or to determine whether and/or how they are different. The majority of us are not mental health experts, which puts us at a distinct disadvantage when speculating about a poorly understood psychological phenomenon.
The question should be asked from a "metaphysical" (for lack of a better term) standpoint, in my opinion, as well, as there would appear to be other even more mysterious causes.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2010-01-09 7:03
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Archer Wrote:In general, non-otherkin multiple groups tend to have more of the first (splitters), while otherkin multiple groups tend to have more of the second (joiners).

We hadn't observed that, but then we don't go around asking about the origins of the people on our plural communities...

Archer Wrote:So, here's the question. Do differences of origin - a person splitting vs people combining - mean that the two kinds are different enough that it's not helpful to describe them under one label, or are they essentially the same despite differing origins?

If they're functioning and mentally healthy, a lot of the same things apply. If they're dysfunctional, it can be different; we haven't run across joiners who have the kind of memory issues that are required for a DID diagnosis.

-Shainin

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2010-01-11 3:50
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

A lot of the same things apply to otherkin elves and dragons, but they are still different enough that having different labels for them makes sense.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2010-01-11 18:57
Find
Give Thanks
Starwind
Nightmare fuel station attendant
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I...am not entirely sure I was always in this body from the time it was born, though I have full control over it now, and have for quite some time, and have access to the normal amounts of childhood memories. Kind of like a fully furnished rental unit, and an existence that came with a tutorial mode and HUD interface before the previous tenant took off and left me here on my own, but we were never really *separate* in that one doesn't know what the other is doing or thinking, or can argue with it.

Not enough childhood trauma for a standard split, though I have my doubts about how stable the resulting being would have been by this time had nobody else come along (or bubbled up from inside and made themelves known, whichever it may have been).

I haven't done much research on other walk-ins, I'm still contemplating myself/selves. There's only one being that controls this body at the time, and I can't sort out if memory fragments that do not belong to the body are all mine, or if some are someone else's. So I'm going to say an unusually large value of one, for number present. I don't know if this helps anyone, or if you were just looking for standard named and numbered multiples.

"I" often refers to unusually large values of 1...
[Image: sort-python3.gif]
2010-01-22 20:57
Find
Give Thanks
Natani
Disabled, medically discharged from 1st recon USMC Unit echo 4
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Molested as a kid by the teachers aid guy broke my collar bone to I created mental others who could take over and all that a few were split from spirit but mostly as I re-evaluated my self I found most to be constructed for a kind of security blanket. Natani for instance was one such mental construct and since it was making me more insane I had to get rid of the mental crap and get back to spirit.

[Image: lunarwolf.png]
2012-08-03 14:07
Find
Give Thanks