Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To be, or not to be
Taiaka
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

To be, or not to be
Quote:I believe one of the biggest drives otherkin have is to discover the purpose of being incarnated as a human.

Vercingetoral (If I spelled your name wrong I apologize) wrote that in Feral's Lucifer thread and I wanted to expand it into a question posed to the whole community. I'm not interested in the 'how', only the 'why'.

Personally, I believe the purpose of being human is, very simply, to be human. I think its flawed logic to long for anything else when one can be anything whilst being human. Human's created the gods, created every philosophy all because of one very commonly overlooked ability that only the human animal possesses: Language. Now I'm sure someone wants to scream, "Hey, we don't know if animals have language." But we do. We know how animals communicate whether through odor, body language or vocalizations. This is very different than the unlimited combinations of utterances that have formed the various languages (no matter spoken, written or even signed). But my point is that the essence of human intellectual and cultural heritage is made possible through the core medium of human language. Broca's Area is solely found in the human brain (Please research "Tan Tan" if you don't know about Paul Broca's research in aphasia because it is evidentary knowledge and changes my post from 'this is what I think' to 'think is what science has prooved'.)

So I guess, if I had to sum up my own beliefs, I would say that the sole purpose of being human is to be human and experience a life that only a human animal can life. Through song, through writing, through art and thought...Because we're the only creatures on earth than can.

What do you think the purpose of being incarnated as a human is?

"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

[Image: smokersigwt8.jpg]
2008-03-29 14:57
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: To be, or not to be
To simply live the life we were given. Same as if we'd incarnated as anything else. I'm primarily here through a hiccough in the reincarnation cycle I think, but even those previous lifetimes had no deep and meaningful "purpose". Thus, I choose my *own* purpose, and that is to be a healer in some way, shape, or form.
2008-03-29 17:16
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

For me, I think it's a learning experience....to understand what it's like to be so limited in a human body and to learn to function in a social society that's less than perfect. Being human is a way to learn more about yourself given what being human comes with *nod*.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-03-29 17:54
Find
Give Thanks
niku
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

My purpose here is I believe for the experience of being human. And so far, I am quite enjoying the experience, despite the society clashing with my OCD-need for organization and equal order.

- Noah
2008-03-29 18:00
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I don't believe in purposes really beyond simply being. Every experience is something to learn and grow from. Every experience is an insight. Who can truly know pleasure if they had never truly learned to know pain?
Why wouldn anyone "Need" a purpose beyond that?

Me, I'm here because everything that is has to be somewhere. That's my why.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-03-29 18:26
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

To be or not to be. Hmm.

Honestly, I don't believe in reincarnation. However, if I did, I would say that there needn't be any rhyme or reason as to why one would be human or antelope or anything else. I am a human. Why? 1) I don't know 2) I don't care 3) Why not?

From my perspective, the human race is not necessarily the focal point of its limited environment. It may be. I believe in a pantheon of gods whom I believe have created me and other humans and perhaps they have a purpose in doing so. However, I do not assume that there is a purpose or that a purpose is necessary. I might be here as part of a whimsical cosmic game, as a keystone to unlocking the secrets of the universe or anything else and no matter what that reality is, I don't know or care. My existence, standing alone, is unaffected.

I have always maintained the idea that attempting to interpret the meaning, will, thought, or nature of Divinity is impossible and pointless.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-03-29 18:33
Find
Give Thanks
Qarael
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Far as I understand, I need to have the human experience to get stop being a lowly grunt and graduate to being a big-boy angel. So in a way, you're still right... I'm just here to be human.

[Image: qbanner.jpg]
2008-03-30 1:03
Find
Give Thanks
Ges
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

When I'm not being philosophical, about the overarching, and people's dharma, I sum up the purpose of being human (and I guess anything else really) simply; There is no purpose, there is no goal, there is only what you decide. We have no purpose other than to give ourselves one.

[Image: neverforgetm.png]

When we first begin all things simply are.
As we grow all things are external.
As we learn all things are internal.
As we understand all things are not.
2008-03-30 3:10
Find
Give Thanks
Elvanos
Deatdealing, reaping... the usuall...
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Gesigewigus Wrote:When I'm not being philosophical, about the overarching, and people's dharma, I sum up the purpose of being human (and I guess anything else really) simply; There is no purpose, there is no goal, there is only what you decide. We have no purpose other than to give ourselves one.

Agreed.
2008-03-30 8:54
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Elvanos Wrote:
Gesigewigus Wrote:When I'm not being philosophical, about the overarching, and people's dharma, I sum up the purpose of being human (and I guess anything else really) simply; There is no purpose, there is no goal, there is only what you decide. We have no purpose other than to give ourselves one.

Agreed.
*nod* Can get a little depressing, though, knowing that the only reason for your existence is because you happen to be one person born among billions.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-03-30 14:21
Find
Give Thanks