Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Those people who make an impact on you ...
momo
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Those people who make an impact on you ...
... the first ever time you meet them.

Of course, we all have people close to us who impact us and who we really connect with. However, friends and close family tend to spend a lot of time with you; you share many discussions and feelings, and the connection grows stronger with each meeting and new thing we learn about the other.

Have you ever met someone - either family, or a stranger - who made an impact on you the first time you met them, properly?

I'm asking this, because a memory from last year just popped into my head. We were planning to go to Cardiff, my mother, stepfather, grandmother and I, to visit my late Grandad's sister. I'd never met my great-aunty and uncle before, but they'd mentioned how they'd love me to come along too. I remember the mild temperature in the air - a bit of a chill, but it was pleasant. I'd got into the car and we drove for three hours.

When speaking to my great-auntie, sitting outside in their garden, I was reminded more and more of my grandfather. Just her speech, and her gentle nature. If you held two photos up of my grandfather and my great-aunt, you'd definitely be able to tell they were siblings, too. We had a lovely afternoon, and I sat in the car on the way back feeling very content, and relaxed. I felt very proud to be her great-niece.

Last summer, I travelled to Scotland with my dad, and met my godmother for the first time since my christening. She retrieved a few photos and memories of our family, and we spent the day looking through them with her. There were several of me as a baby, and even some letters I'd written as a child and that my cousins had written. There was even a cassette tape (like a spoken letter) and I'm speaking on it - I was only a two-year-old kid. She'd also spoken to me about how my dad really does love me, even though sometimes he might not make it obvious. Like my maternal great-aunt, she's a very gentle, loving person. After we'd taken photos - one of me with my godmother, and one of Dad with her - we left, and I felt ... a little sad. I really wish I did live closer to both of these relatives, they're amazing people.

So, what about you guys? Have you ever met somebody - either distant family, or even strangers - and found they've left an impact on you?

Thanks to Elinox for the banner!
[Image: momobanner2ok0.png]
Fear the Lishie, Blake and Rizumu.
2008-01-26 22:21
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Those people who make an impact on you ...
Yeah, it's happened to me once. A guy on the bus started talking to me, telling me about his past (it was pretty horrible, that's all I can remember), but at that point he was getting ready to go to college. He was...charismatic, you could say. He impressed on me the importance of going to college and making a life for myself. I doubt I'll ever see that guy again, but I don't think I'll forget him, either. Which is more than can be said for most people I meet.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-01-26 22:31
Find
Give Thanks
BlissfulIsis
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I haven't in quite some time. A few years a go I had connections like that with 2 different people I met that I connected with instantly like we were together in a different place and time. They didn't even need to tell me anything about themselves because it was like I already knew everything.

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
2008-01-26 23:53
Find
Give Thanks
Ashaiel
student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The first and only time I met the man who manipulated me into giving him my virginity, I was fourteen, and he was thirty-one. Since then, he has had a bigger impact on my life than even some of my closest family members.

Before any of you say, "I'm so sorry that happened to you," I'm going to tell you that I, for one, am not sorry it happened. He was the catalyst for a lot of negative things -- such as my development of what I call "the Lolita complex", which has been the guide for almost everything I've done in my life concerning sex and a variety of other things for the past three and a half years. However, he was the catalyst for far more good things than bad.

For instance, it was he who forced me to grow up at a faster rate than most people my age. Some would call that a tragedy; I call it a jumpstart to my growth as a person. Because of his reckless actions -- he knew I was underage; and he didn't bother to use any kind of protection, therefore potentially exposing me to all sorts of STDs from all the other females he has seduced, as well as potentially impregnating me -- I learned that my parents really are not out to get me, and in fact love me and will go to great lengths to help me; they fought in court for justice on my behalf for a very long time. My relationships with them strengthened, as well as many other relationships I've had over the course of my life with various people. I learned how to better relate to other people, especially those who have gone through sexual abuse as I have. I have become a more compassionate person, a stronger person, and an overall better person. I met my therapist, who has not only helped me with issues related to my molestation, but also with my whole life; without the molestation happening, I would not have been able to open up about all the other things going on in my life, and therefore couldn't get those things worked out.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of things, but you get the idea.

What the man did was horrendous, and I hope he gets all that comes to him; but in some ways, it was the best thing that has ever happened to me . . . and I've only ever met him once.

~ Ashaiel

Magnificat anima mea Dominum!
2008-01-27 0:36
Find
Give Thanks
SfasmTawSbasa
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

At a summer school thing, I met one of my current great friends. From the first time I met them, I knew that they would be someone I'd love to befriend, and amazingly, it was she who introduced me to Otherkin and truly helped me learn a lot more about myself and the world around me. It kind of feels like fate and that we were meant to become friends. It's annoying that she lives so far away from me though, but yeah, we're still friends and basically talk every day. ^_^
2008-01-27 0:40
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Only once, and a guy that I saw around and spoke to for some time after but couldn't even call my friend for several years.

Without getting into details, he's very charismatic, very outgoing, but has had a very tough life that most people don't know any of the details of. He absolutely stinks of shadow and certain things he's done and said very strongly imply to me that he is on some level aware of me being a shadow too.

Haven't seen him in years - might never see him again, in fact. But to this day, even looking at him or having him look at me is like an electric shock to my chest. Boom.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-01-27 1:52
Find
Give Thanks
lemur
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I know a lot of people on here seem to really dislike people, but I find everybody rather fascinating. One of my favourite pasttimes when I'm in some sort of public transportation or just hanging around somewhere, is watch people. Most of them really are interesting and you can almost imagine whole stories for them, you can also "read" in a few movements, behaviour, etc how their life is.
That said, I really enjoy meeting new people. While I was on holiday last year I met a few really nice people, although in a lot of cases we ended up not engaging in conversation, they made me want to know more about them. I get curious easily... I also have been getting closer to a few people that are in my new class; and all I can say is that some are truly nice.
Who else... there was this guy I had a crush on for the biggest time, not a HUGE crush but I thought he was really really cute. (He seemed to like me back, though recently he figured he's more into boys).
There once was this lady who owned this shop with lots of occult-related stuff, I had never seen her around but once I did -- and she was really nice.
2008-01-27 15:51
Find
Give Thanks