Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things that override "Common Sense,"
Ausse
Artist, Student, Cook
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Things that override "Common Sense,"
As with any case of Multiplism, there is more than one being in the body. My question is, why are some able to override things that other headmates may do? Things like suicide, doing something stupid, or things of that sort. Is there like some manual override button when common sense becomes uncommon, or what?
What's your take on this?
-Ausse
2010-06-23 5:33
Find
Give Thanks
Estelore
piano instructor, university student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Things that override "Common Sense,"
At least in my case, the two headmates hold a monopoly on my sensory-motor nerves. I can use those nerves because I am allowed to do so; if an action I intend to take would cause direct or collateral damage to the body, then I simply can't perform that action. If the action is innocuous, then the neural connection is uninhibited, and I perform the action as intended. For things that require reflexive swift action, they do it without my input.

[Image: Full%2Bsystem%2Brearranged.png]
--Total--Rosie--Gale--Ax------Es-Asher-Chunes--Lor-Cade-Ruby--Leo--Crow-Kirke-Teia-
2010-06-23 5:57
Find
Give Thanks
thetwins
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Why some headmates are able to override the actions of others will vary from system to system. And there may not even be an override, or fully functional overrides in all systems. It depends on the inner relationships and the roles the various parties have. We would suspect that how much awareness the various parties have of what the body is doing would also play a role in this. While it is possible to interfere with the actions of another by happenstance without knowing what they are doing, it is is much easier done if you know what they are doing. Note, this does not mean the impacted headmate will always know the source of the interference.

Personally we are trying to move away from interfereing with each other's activities. So if we had an override button we would be working to dismantle it. What might seem common sense to one might not always appear to be so to another, and if the underlying belief structure differs what one views to be right and proper may also not mesh well with another. And if that side of things is handled poorly that could be a free set up for a ton of in skull drama.

Sha'de

[Image: thetwinsbanner.png]
2010-06-26 3:29
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

In my mini-system we act by a kind of consensus - act, think, and exist. I don't really think there's an issue of one person overriding the other any more than in a normal singleton.

To explain . . . a normal singleton might be at a great party despite needing to get up early the next day for work. There are two conflicting desires: stay at the party, or go home and sleep. It's not necessary for that singleton to have a method for overriding desicisions that are unwelcome, or arbitrating disputes. Ultimately, whatever gets decided is what's more important to the person at that time.

If a multiple system involved group members with extreme and fundamental differences in desire and motivation, I can see that that could cause massive problems (of course that kind of conflict can also exist, and cause problems, for a singleton). Perhaps a certain amount of compatability between thoughts and desires from one system to another is necessary for high level integration and co-consciousness. Or if not necessary, perhaps helpful.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2010-07-02 0:04
Find
Give Thanks