Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The legalization of Marijuana
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

The legalization of Marijuana
Cause who doesn’t love controversial debates?

I think it smells terrible, makes people do stupid things and (in some cases) act like complete idiots and/or jerks. But I’m for it being legalized. Might as well get or tax dollars coming or of the pockets of junkies then my hard earned paychecks.

Side notes:
1. I find it irrelevant if people mention that they are users of the stuff or not for the purpose of this debate. This is a fairly public forum and I don’t want anyone getting screwed over for anything they post for whatever reason.
2. Behave terro.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-05-17 23:29
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: The legalization of Marijuana
I think it should be legal just to see who's dumb enough to ruin their lives with it. *shrugs*

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-05-18 0:40
Find
Give Thanks
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I'm torn on this issue. I personally believe that all the illegal substances, from Marijuana up through heroine, crystal meth and whatever else the kids are playing with these days, are a greater threat and have done more damage to this country than any war, any terrorist attack, and tax and the Bush administration combined.

I believe that the punishment for drug use should be extraordinary (I'm also a steadfast supporter of capital punishment).

On the other hand, legalization of Marijuana guarantees FDA's hands in making sure it is quality, it will drop the price and contribute profits in the form of taxes to the American government to offset the cost of the war on drugs. I also believe a portion of marijuana users do it as a form of rebellion. I am not so foolish as to say it is a commanding majority, a lot percentage who would move up to more dangerous substances. It also provides imports from legitimate countries and corporations. Domestic individuals who grow in mass amounts and sell in mass amounts will be practically out of business, you don't get a much smaller business and we have seen how efficient chains like Wal-Mart are at eliminating small competitors.

Less crime is always good, but the question is whether it is worth the budging on one more substance. 50 years down the line would we be arguing the legalization of Cocaine, Heroine a century later?

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2008-05-18 1:07
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Deros Wrote:I think it should be legal just to see who's dumb enough to ruin their lives with it. *shrugs*

That's an entirely subjective statement.

If it were legal, most pot users wouldn't be ruining their lives at all. The main reason people's lives are ruined by using marijuana now is because it IS illegal and they end up in jail.

It takes over 40 times your body weight in pot to OD on it.
And most pot users have ongoing jobs and lives and aren't "addicted" to it.

In other words, most weed users are still functional in society.

Therefore, I don't see why it shouldn't be legal. The only reason we criminalized pot in the US anyway and started the "war on drugs" is so we could cover up the Vietnam war, right?

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-05-18 2:12
Find
Give Thanks
zimmerchild
Medical Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

i convinced my mum while she was in college to write a paper on the legalization of marijuana...it's amazing some of the facts that come out of that. like what it was made illegal in the first place. i've seen people argue that it was the paper and cotton industry, but what my mum and i found was it was acctualy the beer companies. that's right liver killers made it illegal...why? cause you can't kill your liver if you not drinking....lol.

i personally see no reason why it is illegal other then some competitors might and probably will go out of buisness. it's far less harmfull then some legal substances. as for people ruining their lives, you don't need to make drugs legal for that, they just have to go to the liquor store.

~Zola.

[Image: zimmerchildsig.png]
2008-05-18 5:49
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:

i fully agree with zimmerchild. as long as alcohol is legal, i don't see why marijuana should be illegal. to stop people from consuming it? no, no. it's so easy to get that whoever wants to try it will try it. at least they don't get aggressive from it, look at how many families were destroyed by alcohol. mine, for instance.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-05-18 11:27
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I see no benefit whatsoever to cannabis remaining illegal, and would love someone to explain it to me.

I nean, look how fucked up the Netherlands are . . . oh wait.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-05-18 12:48
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Terro Wrote:but the question is whether it is worth the budging on one more substance. 50 years down the line would we be arguing the legalization of Cocaine, Heroine a century later?

I think that is one of the flimsiest type’s arguments. It’s completely subjective, has no grounds, and for some reason people keep trying to use it.

“If you give ‘em an inch, they’ll try to take a foot” kind of thinking.

‘Don’t let the gays marry, because pedophiles wanting to marry 10 year olds will be next, closely followed by sheep herders and their flocks’

Lines can be drawn, people.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-05-18 20:30
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The real question is: why do lines need to be drawn, when it comes to drugs?

If people want to take drugs, let them. It is not my job, nor the government's, to be your mommy.

People should be free to be informed about the pros and cons of taking any and all drugs, and choose for themselves.

If little Timmy wants to be a crack addict, well, by golly, Timmy can be a crack addict. No one has to give him a job, and he can still be arrested if he does anything stupid.

Let people make their own decisions.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-05-18 21:10
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

simim23 Wrote:Let people make their own decisions.

The problem is some decisions will almost inevitably cause material harm to other people.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-05-18 22:13
Find
Give Thanks