Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The evils of Catholicism (and other Judeo-Christian fun)
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

The evils of Catholicism (and other Judeo-Christian fun)
On near every otherkin forum I’ve visited (not even counting chatrooms), at least 5 members on various occasions have spoken out against Christianity and the evils of both the church and bible.

Now, I must confess to having been of a similar mindset, especially during my rebelliously blasphemous mid teen’s. I’ve greatly calmed down since, yet still do carry some resentments (mostly due to being forced into the faith for selfish reasons by my mother).

So let’s get it all out now cause i know it'll pop up somewhere here (if it has't already),
Why (if you do) do you take issue with this particular religion?

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-01-13 0:00
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: The evils of Catholicism (and other Judeo-Christian fun)
For me, it's just watching mass. Makes me think of sheep, to tell the truth. Everything's just so...boring. And no one else seems to notice. They just go along with the boredom.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-01-13 0:08
Find
Give Thanks
Sahra
College Student, Bartender
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

For me, it's not the religion. It's the fanatical followers (which are such a minority, but because they're loud and they're jerks, they get all the media attention) that piss me off. If they just did their own thing, I wouldn't mind, but their obsession with "spreading the word" and offering to pray for me is both irritating and insulting.

However, fanatics of any stripe drive me insane - and that includes frothy-mouthed religious fundamentalists from any denomination/belief system as well as die-hard atheists. Maybe if they didn't waste so much of their time trying to change other people's minds, they could be changing the world - and making it better - instead.

I'm sorry, but to me, anyone who spends abundant amount of time trying to convince other people that their opinion is the ONE TRUE OPINION . . . really isn't that convinced that their opinion is right. Among my friends, those with the deepest conviction are often the most quiet about it.

"Someday after we have mastered the winds, the waves, and gravity, we will harness for God the energies of love; and then for a second time in the history of the world, human beings will have discovered fire." - Teilhard de Chardin
2008-01-13 0:56
Find
Give Thanks
Rauthiss
None ATM - High School Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Sahra Wrote:For me, it's not the religion. It's the fanatical followers (which are such a minority, but because they're loud and they're jerks, they get all the media attention) that piss me off. If they just did their own thing, I wouldn't mind, but they're obsession with "spreading the word" and offering to pray for me is both irritating and insulting.

However, fanatics of any stripe drive me insane - and that includes frothy-mouthed religious fundamentalists from any denomination/belief system as well as die-hard atheists. Maybe if they didn't waste so much of their time trying to change other people's minds, they could be changing the world - and making it better - instead.

I'm sorry, but to me, anyone who spends abundant amount of time trying to convince other people that their opinion is the ONE TRUE OPINION . . . really isn't that convinced that their opinion is right. Among my friends, those with the deepest conviction are often the most quiet about it.

I'd hug you if I wasn't so unaware of vant's reaction to PDAs on his girlfriend. (lover? Mate? DSmile

[Image: OKASig5.png]
2008-01-13 1:15
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I don't have a problem with God... just his fan club.

The dude made a great book. And then everyone had to go write fanfiction for it.

But, generally speaking, I don't have any more or less problem with Catholicism over any other denomination of Christianity.

My MAJOR problem, actually, lies with most Protestant branches. They're too damn concerned over the state of MY mortal soul(which is neither mortal nor a soul, ironically), and frankly, they need to drop it and worry more about other souls who might care.

Other problems I have with Christianity: The Spanish Inquisition, The Salem Witch Trials, the Holy Crusades....

Although, all of these happened centuries ago, so it's not of the biggest concern to me now.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-01-13 2:09
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I have issues with churches - especially the Catholic one - spending insane amounts of wealth on physical trappings like nice buildings, expensive robes, etc etc etc, when their own people go poor. I have issues with Catholic doctrines on such things as contraception and abortion.

However, I have even more issues with teenaged idiotkin who are all "OHMYGOD Christians are teh suxxors"

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-01-13 2:13
Find
Give Thanks
Micah
College slacker majoring in the cutting open of dead bodies.
Kintype:
Otherkin:

chaitea Wrote:Why (if you do) do you take issue with this particular religion?
It's personal for me. Being a fallen angel in the Judeo-Christian sense and all. And I do tend to rant about this all the time like the way old men rant about what's wrong with today's youth.

I don't consider myself a Christian, or Catholic, or any related thing. To me, accepting that God exists is different than believing in God. Because I know I sure as hell don't put my faith in that pompous maniac. Now, this is MY own little interpretation of the story, mind you.

First and foremost, God created angels. Before humans, the angels were His children and He was kind and caring to them. Then He did the whole thing with the evolution of earth and humans and such. For some reason that I'll just never understand, God decided that the humans were now His favourite creations. Angels were reduced to mere messengers to convey things between God and His people. He gave humans the power of choice. Angels didn't have that choice, they either bowed down and did whatever God said or they would be kicked out of Heaven immediately.

I didn't find this perfectly okay at all. It's almost like parents who have a second child and decide that they prefer that child more. I really felt like that first child. I was never really a fan of God to begin with, or Heaven. Just too boring and orderly for me. The thing is, not only did He toss the angels aside like that, but to the humans that He claimed to love... He pretty much withheld all sorts of things from them that would make their lives better, and treated them like pets.

Now I was a Watcher, one of the angels that hangs out and watches over the humans. So after all this time watching them, you begin to notice things that just aren't right. And you think "Wow, if God would just tell them about so-and-so, they wouldn't have to put up with that..." and such. I remember vaguely some of the others decided to go down there and help them out a bit (some of them just went to go meet up with some ladies they'd been watching over or something, but I wasn't really a part of any of this, so don't quote me on what exactly they all went down there for.)

So I watched them go down there, a few of my friends went down as well (I remember Arakiel the most, but vaguely). They taught people all kinds of nifty crap, like how to smelt metals and further knowledge of the moon and earth and such. Of course, in the religious texts it talks about how horrible it was of the angels to teach humans to make weapons and such! But really, people were killing each other long before giant swords of doom were created, and the angels taught them a lot more than just that. More peaceful things that would make their lives easier and such, but those are only mentioned in passing for obvious reasons.

God went absolutely crazy when He found out those guys departed that knowledge to His people. Those angels weren't allowed back into Heaven. And God, in some strange fit of rage, decided to flood the earth, kill everyone, and start anew. (The off-the-wall story about the giant flood with the ark and stuff is just a big metaphor actually, but the original idea behind it still stood.)

Those angels fell because of what they did, but Lucifer was the first to actually stand up and call God out on His madness. And I know that I respect him greatly for fearlessly getting up in God's face about that.
Lucifer: Nuh-uh girlfriend! *snap snap*
God: Oh NO you just did-an't!

I left of my own accord. If I stayed any longer, I would've been kicked out anyway, but oh well. So in my opinion, Catholicism is the weirdest thing I've come across and God needs serious anger management therapy. Christians, however, can generally be very nice people. Some may be close-minded, but a lot of them can be nice. I hate it when people assume that because they have a certain opinion on a religion, that it automatically means they should have that opinion on it's followers. Tsk.

...see, I told you I tend to rant about this.
2008-01-13 2:50
Find
Give Thanks
niku
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Sahra Wrote:However, fanatics of any stripe drive me insane - and that includes frothy-mouthed religious fundamentalists from any denomination/belief system as well as die-hard atheists. Maybe if they didn't waste so much of their time trying to change other people's minds, they could be changing the world - and making it better - instead.

I agree with this completely! It's only that the fanatic Christians are usually the ones who are constantly thumping me with their abridged bibles and poking me with their "soul-saving" sticks. I fortunately have met some wonderful Christians in my short time here, who never forced their beliefs down my throat, and without them, I'd probably still be one of those silly/annoying Christian-haters.
2008-01-13 5:16
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

"One man's religion is another man's belly laugh"
-Robert A. Heinlein

Every religion is silly in its own way (including my own and atheism). I get irked at people who can't realize this and are so worried about their beliefs being factually correct.

Seriously, why should I care about the proof that says your religion is correct? I think a lot of fluffdom/fundamentalism/people making crap up comes from everyone trying to prove their religion as being more correct (or at least better) than some other dude's religion. If you leave things in the realm of "this is why I believe, you don't need to believe it and your lack of belief does not diminish the strength of my belief" - things tend to run smoother in heterogeneous groups.

Also, stop yelling at a group because someone with the same label who was long dead before either of you were alive did something bad. Same goes for excessive paranoia. I hate all this "Never Again the Burning Times!" or "We're 75% of the population, but we're so persecuted!!!"

Seriously, everyone just needs to chill. Sure, fighting for the right to not be persecuted is a good thing, but don't fight for the right to oppress the freedoms of others.

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2008-01-13 20:58
Find
Give Thanks
daemonstryke
Gas station cashier; novelist; alien
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Micah Wrote:Lucifer: Nuh-uh girlfriend! *snap snap*
God: Oh NO you just did-an't!

Micah....I love you XD

But as for my own issues with christianity.....I have quite the deep deep DEEEEP rooted rage/hatred against this religion that I am not quite sure where it originates from. I look to the christians around me, I look to their churches and I watch them go off on there little "missionary" trips to go save the widdle bitte natives from such and such developing nation from their "horrible superstitions" and want to scream until blood pours from my mouth. It irritates me so much to see these..........people.......*tries very hard not to use the words she REAAALLY wants to* go to places around the world where people are struggling to survive and build schools and stuff to "help" the natives when all they really want to do is spread their.......*bites lip* religion.

If they really gave two craps about these people they would just go there to build schools to help these people better their lives and NOT NOT NOT have their .............faith plastered all over the place.

okay, I need to let this topic go before I really start flipping out. I know a lot of that probably didn't make any rational sense but I tend to get quite irrational the more incredibly pissed off I get.

Lets just leave it to this: I really do not like christianity for a wide variety of reasons, some of which I do not fully understand. If I offend some of the christian members on this board, I apologize.

*evil grin* wouldn't you like to know

[Image: 120px-300-seinfeld.gif]
2008-01-14 0:32
Find
Give Thanks