Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been brought up here yet. Some friends at my new college forced the first book upon me so i figured i might as well give it a try. I was quite surprised to find that so far i am relay enjoying it. I'm only about halfway threw and to the shock of said friends have not fallen hopelessly in love with Edward (they keep saying i will, but so far I'm not convinced). Instead my heart belongs to Bella's car:
[Image: cars_bella.jpg]
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight_cullencars.html">http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight_cullencars.html</a><!-- m -->

So yeah, it's not a completely typical vampire romance novel (like s many before it's time) and the writing style is fun. Though the stereotypical war between vamps and werewolves dose seem to be a theme (*sigh*).

But yeah, overall I'm enjoying it and guess i would recommend it to you guys.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-09-23 18:34
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
I <3 the Twilight Saga...just saddens me a little that it's written for 13-16 year olds and thus is devoid of naked descriptions, sex scenes, and all that good smut.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-09-23 18:49
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I heard that that's what the fourth book is for

2008-09-23 18:56
Find
Give Thanks
freelanceangel
customer service *facepalm*
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Ah, yes. The Twilight series. ^_^ My adopted-ish oni-chan (long story) basically threw them in my lap (the first three, anyway) and said "read them." I, trusting his judgement in most cases, did so.

Edward? *eye-twitch* Bella? *eye-twitch* Jacob? *purr*

Seriously. It's like Anita Blake and Co. in high school. I did enjoy the books as light weekend reading, but overall, I wouldn't buy them. I do see where their appeal comes from, but...*twitch* perhaps I just can't handle women like Bella who fall apart if someone leaves them. (I say this, point in fact, having completed my 160 page story about Jonas Foster who goes freakin' nuts after Diamanta Rothwell dies. *cuddles my city* So emo! And yeah, I've called Jonas many names for going nuts.) Jacob I adore. He's neither self-centered nor emotastic. I lufs him greatly.

[Image: frelanceangelbanner.png]
Banner/Avatar done by the GLORIOUS Elinox: THANK YOU!
2008-09-24 14:45
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

chaitea Wrote:I heard that that's what the fourth book is for

Alas, it's still written for an under 18 audience...*was sorely disappointed* I was expecting a 5 page description of Edward naked and a steamy sex scene >.<

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-09-24 16:40
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

*sigh* we sort of--grudgingly--like it because it's decently written and descriptive. Though, we do wish the vampires did kill humans instead of animals--eating animals just seems wrong. PLUS, vampires are supposed to be our population control, lol.

We did enjoy Jacob, but we also like James.

--Shang

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-11-05 22:14
Find
Give Thanks
Rauthiss
None ATM - High School Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

It was okay in my book. From a writer's standpoint, I couldn't stand it; Meyer seems to love the classic bait-and-switch. (Oh, Bella, I can't love you... But I guess I can.) She also uses a lot of deus ex machinii(?) in her books, it seems. A lot of the series seemed forced in my eyes. From a reader's standpoint, I was pretty unimpressed. A lot of the story is very cliche (vampire romance? with a vampire werewolf war?) but it reads nice and fast.

I hate hate hate Bella, though. Too whiney and prissy for my taste. (Oh, Jacob, Edward has abandoned me! I'll be your best friend and possible romantic interest... JUST KIDDING! I STILL LOVE EDWARD THE SECOND HE REAPPEARS)

All in all, It's a decent read in my eyes. There's always better stuff, but there's always worse stuff.

(On another note, my opinions may be biased as I'm the primary Twilight "Devil's Advocate" in my friend circle, meaning I play the part of being totally against it.)

((SPOILERS, BTW))

abrupt end. (which isn't actually that abrupt. DSmile

[Image: OKASig5.png]
2008-11-05 23:43
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Rauthiss Wrote:It was okay in my book. From a writer's standpoint, I couldn't stand it; Meyer seems to love the classic bait-and-switch. (Oh, Bella, I can't love you... But I guess I can.) She also uses a lot of deus ex machinii(?) in her books, it seems. A lot of the series seemed forced in my eyes. From a reader's standpoint, I was pretty unimpressed. A lot of the story is very cliche (vampire romance? with a vampire werewolf war?) but it reads nice and fast.

I hate hate hate Bella, though. Too whiney and prissy for my taste. (Oh, Jacob, Edward has abandoned me! I'll be your best friend and possible romantic interest... JUST KIDDING! I STILL LOVE EDWARD THE SECOND HE REAPPEARS)

All in all, It's a decent read in my eyes. There's always better stuff, but there's always worse stuff.

(On another note, my opinions may be biased as I'm the primary Twilight "Devil's Advocate" in my friend circle, meaning I play the part of being totally against it.)

((SPOILERS, BTW))

abrupt end. (which isn't actually that abrupt. DSmile

We haven't read "Breaking Dawn" and the only reason we want to is because once we start a series we have to finish it.

I get the writer's stand-point; I look at that way as well. It really is cliche, especially with the love aspects. we're also the only ones with a dislike for it despite that fact we sort of like it, as stated before, lol. But that's mostly because we like vampires and werewolves and the werewolves really aren't too bad in it.

--Shang

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-11-06 0:29
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'm at the part in the third book just before the big fight goes down and currently i can't stand any of the main charecters

Edward always bothered me cause he was a gooey pansy they was to clingy and stalker-esk
Bella's freaking out about everyone getting hurt and not realizing they can more then take care of themselves
And now it seems to be Jacobs turn to act like a whiny spoiled brat (and here i thought that was Edwards role)

i know they all get batter eventually (aside from Ed) but damn it gets annoying after three books. At least before this they usaly took turns pissing me off, but now it apparently has to be all at once now

2008-11-06 0:51
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Eh. It was a FAST read. I finished all 4 books in 2 days.

I regret buying the 4th one. I had borrowed the first 3 off a friend, and I bought the 4th one solely to satiate finishing the series.

And it sucked. Anything that involves popping out babies immediately loses my interest. There is nothing special or awesome or even remotely romantic to me about being a mommy, especially one of a parasitic, psychic one, that conveniently has a deus ex machina-loophole to keep her from dying.

I wanted smut, and this had none. Not even the sex scene, or what you could call of it, had any. I know it's an 18 and under book, but that was the only thing that would have kept my hopes up and it failed.

No smut, plus babies, plus stereotypical vamps vs. weres, plus airhead protagonist and Gary Sue lover, plus angsty lover-on-side = brainwashing the world.

Wayyyy too predictable. I'll stick with recommending Harry Potter. At least they knew when to pop their kids out: after it was over.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-11-10 20:57
Find
Give Thanks