Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Divine Council
Acta non Verba
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

The Divine Council
This is a very interesting paper on the existence of a divine council in Hebrew scriptures and their parallels in other systems.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/HeiserIVPDC.pdf">http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/HeiserIVPDC.pdf</a><!-- m -->

It also makes an interesting claim that the Ben ha elohim and angels are not the same thing.
2010-06-26 20:04
Find
Give Thanks
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: The Divine Council
Well being that pre-monotheist hebrews(inhabitants of israel) were polytheist before the "covenant" with ia/yhwh, the old testament likely contains remnants of that. The "Prophets" even discuss how their own people and the Canaanites were continuing those practices. at that time. I read something that theorized that the stricter monotheistic version of hebrew religion came about when the hebrews were influenced by Plato's philosophies, but I'd have to go dig it out. As for the "angels" not being the Elohim, dunno..probably since as I understand it the Elohim weren't subordinate to each other, more like aristocracy, lords of different lands. Ia was apprently the patron of israel proper.

“A considerable percentage of the people we meet on the street are people who are empty inside, that is, they are actually already dead. It is fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff
2010-06-28 21:57
Find
Give Thanks
Acta non Verba
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'd doubt the influence of Plato's philosophies. I'm not sure the dating game would support that one.

With Angels running around doing whatever I'm not surprised at polytheism. However I can't conclude that the existence of polytheism rules out there being one supreme dude that was believed in.
2010-07-02 20:02
Find
Give Thanks
Varkadevi
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Believe what ya want. But I believe the old texts before speculation. The evidence shows a gradual shift towards monotheistic structures from a polytheistic and even earlier animistic base. There are several examples of the Chief male deity(and in some cases, female[India]) being elevated from Patron deity of a city to supreme deity of all things, as was the case with Israel and Assyria. Additionally in many cultures the god of the sky was usually viewed as male, OR the chief male deity was affiliated with the sky somehow.(Anu,Zeus,Chinese Heaven Worship which is actually kinda vague and inconsistent. My reasoning, it's easier to lead people under one god then under fifty..also Patriarchy. The "Covenant" with Ia really only makes sense in a polytheistic context, I think. It's only natural however, that one of different leanings would read the same text differently when things aren't entirely clear. We see what we want to see in such a case.

“A considerable percentage of the people we meet on the street are people who are empty inside, that is, they are actually already dead. It is fortunate for us that we do not see and do not know it.”
- G.I. Gurdjieff
2010-07-02 22:59
Find
Give Thanks
Acta non Verba
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Sure we can sometimes see said gradual shift. I just think it is a logical leap to decide the gradual shift disproves one portion or another is all.
2010-07-04 7:38
Find
Give Thanks