Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Definitions of Words Thread
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

The Definitions of Words Thread
Just cause I'm sick of seeing threads derailed. Bring it here.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-08-24 18:32
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: The Definitions of Words Thread
Norm: 1. Anyone who believes that 'normal' is a compliment. (If it's a compliment then how can it be derogatory?)
2. The guy at the bar in Cheers.

"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-08-24 18:33
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Norm-

1. derogatory title for non-kin
synonyms: mundane (equally derogatory), non-kin

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-08-24 19:04
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Not everything is about kin. 'Mundane' is also used by members of the SCA to describe people who don't dress up as knights and wenches on the weekends.

2008-08-24 19:08
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

...and is still derogatory. It sounds negative to begin with, and is used to specifically separate out a certain group of people. In this context, the otherkin one, it makes us come off as denying our own humanity.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-08-24 19:43
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Derail:
1. To cause to run off of predesigned tracks.
2. To bring to a halt.
3. (In forum terms) To cause a thread to leave the topic and any related topics and become bogged down in anything other than the original subject of discussion.

If pointing out the use of offensive terms, or pointing out what one considers the defenition of the subject of the discussion is "derailing" then what is off topic rants, personal insults and random outbursts?
_

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-08-24 20:01
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Entertainment to break up the monotony.

If the chaos thread had stayed on topic you might have known that.

Edit: Sorry Mods, but I did tell Archer I would find something else to play with and possibly break eventually.

2008-08-24 20:26
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

There is a subforum meant for entertainment to break up the monotomy, it's the humor section.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-08-24 20:42
Find
Give Thanks
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I have to agree that a "norm" may be derogatory in some uses, however I don't see it in this case being used to Human bash. I believe it was in reference to the stereotypical individual who does not believe or perhaps has never even heard of anything outside a Catholic mass.

I think it is enough just to speak of others as others, as friends, as trusted people or family members. Anymore just starts treading towards things you don't actually want to convey.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2008-08-24 21:22
Find
Give Thanks
Spanky
Currently job-hunting
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

YAY!
Quote:Pronunciation:
\ˈnȯr-məl\
Function:
adjective

1: perpendicular; especially : perpendicular to a tangent at a point of tangency
2 a: according with, constituting, or not deviating from a norm, rule, or principle b: conforming to a type, standard, or regular pattern
3: occurring naturally <normal immunity>
4 a: of, relating to, or characterized by average intelligence or development b: free from mental disorder : sane

(begin opinions)
Otherkin - One who believes some internal, important part of them is inhuman, subhuman, or superhuman. This could be the "soul", the mind, the "spirit", the metaphorical heart, or any combination thereof.

Soul - What's left over after you remove all physical and psychological components.

Fluff - a phase every single otherkin goes through when they are first awakening. This phase lasts longer for some than for others. Basically, it is the phase during which you absorb all information and question none of it.

Flufff*ck - A term I coined and copyrighted to refer to those who have been in their fluffy phase for too long and are holding onto their silly, incredible ideas a little too hard, to the point where they actually delude themselves.
2008-08-25 1:42
Find
Give Thanks