Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Asian sphere
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

The Asian sphere
So having thought for a while today ("Larry, Moe, when I think, nothing happens and my head hurts!") I realized that I have for along time been interested in knowing a lot more about the mythical beings in Asian culture and really had no knowledge or learning of anything except the Oriental Dragons (courtesy of Chai ranting at length of course).

So I'd like to know about the Asian myths and legends, about the nature spirits and deities of Shintoism, about the Oni Demons, about everything and anything that anyone can offer.

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2008-07-08 2:43
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: The Asian sphere
I could puke out boatloads of info in regards to the Asian fox people if you wish (the real ones, not the anime ones). Just tell me how short or long of a summary you want, because I tend to get REALLY detailed and excited on the topic, thanks to all the books out there now on the subject.
2008-07-08 6:09
Give Thanks
flarablaze
Deciding which way I want to go
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Sorry I don't know much details but I thought there was a japanese or chinese (or somewhere in asia.. sorry T_T don't hate me, it's been about 4 years) there is an asian version of a unicorn? I always thought they looked cooler. I thought the name was Kyrnn but I'm not sure.... I'll have to look it up now. It's like a unicorn if you added a lot of earth to it. A mix of unicorn and forest spirit I believe.. or at least thats how the picture I saw worked. As for Oni Demons, the only thing i know about them is they are in Guild Wars: Factions, Guild Wars has 3 main worlds. Factions is the equivalent to Asia. There was also a krynn... kyrnn.. I wish I knew the word correctly. Anyway there was one in there as well (But I knew of them before playing Guild Wars)

Otherwise I'm not entirely sure.
2008-07-08 7:53
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I think ki lin is the unicorn.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-07-08 17:11
Find
Give Thanks
flarablaze
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Motley Wrote:I think ki lin is the unicorn.
oh, maybe that was it. All I remember was a K, an i sound, and an n sound >_>;;; It's been several years and I only saw it once. I think it was a picture on deviantart.
2008-07-08 17:25
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

the first few sections are quite interesting. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.east-asian-history.net/textbooks/172/ch8.htm">http://www.east-asian-history.net/textbooks/172/ch8.htm</a><!-- m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/GLOSSARY/KAMI.HTM">http://www.wsu.edu/~dee/GLOSSARY/KAMI.HTM</a><!-- m -->

tons of information about shinto. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://jinja.jp/english/s-4c.html">http://jinja.jp/english/s-4c.html</a><!-- m -->
2008-07-08 18:18
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Good intro to Chinese mythology here:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mythology">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mythology</a><!-- m -->

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-07-08 19:49
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I checked the info on kitsune in wikipedia (fox people) and it's accurate, according to the books. It basically regurgitated the same info from "The Fox and the Jewel". But that's just the Japanese perspective, Chinese stories were slightly different (and I only read one story from Mongolia that had a fox, and nothing from Korea yet). But in general they were trickster spirits, like the coyote. They could be heroes or villains, helpful or harmful, playful or malicious, and for many, neutral. They followed their own code, only working with human ones temporarily, and usually for some personal motive. They actually ARE foxes, vulpes vulpes, etc; the difference is that the Asians had a different world view than the Europeans. While to Europeans they are just "soulless animals" and had no more meaning than being fur pelts, the Asians placed higher intelligence and meaning to these creatures (and others), which is why their intelligence is much higher in their stories (which is why they're able to transcend the physical realm to enlightenment like a human might, because they're able to get the knowledge and ability to do so). It's basically on par with a human's general intelligence, and in some cases, higher.

And kirin (qilin, etc) aren't really unicorns in the sense that they were like the European ones. Their purposes were different, and made of very different animals (one kind looks more like a lion/ox thing than a horse!). The only thing "unicorn" about them were the single horn (antler in some pictures/stories) on their head. Otherwise they're not the same creature (though modern art on DA of course suggests otherwise).
2008-07-09 0:25
Give Thanks
flarablaze
Kintype:
Otherkin:

WhiteFox Wrote:I checked the info on kitsune in wikipedia (fox people) and it's accurate, according to the books. It basically regurgitated the same info from "The Fox and the Jewel". But that's just the Japanese perspective, Chinese stories were slightly different (and I only read one story from Mongolia that had a fox, and nothing from Korea yet).

And kirin (qilin) aren't really unicorns in the sense that they were like the European ones. Their purposes were different, and made of very different animals (one kind looks more like a lion/ox thing than a horse!). The only thing "unicorn" about them were the single horn (antler in some pictures) on their head. Otherwise they're not the same creature.
I was just about to actually post that (kirin) because I remembered it.

The picture I saw it looked exactly like a really furry long haired brown unicorn... *edit* there was no story attached, that's why I thought so
2008-07-09 0:29
Find
Give Thanks