Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Term: Theriomythic
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Term: Theriomythic
Theriomythic = animalistic Otherkin or Otherkin who experience therianthropic tendencies, but their kin-type is a non-human, non-Earth based creature.

(It's a loose definition and people will add in other words so it suits them more.)

Why the Term

There are people with experiences that are neither wholly Otherkin nor wholly Therian and people who don't feel at home in either community because their experiences are animalistic/therianthropic in nature, but their kin-type is of a non-Earth based animal. However, they don't necessarily fit in with the wider Otherkin community that has a tendency to put an emphasis on "higher thinking" creatures, past lives, etc. Nor do they necessarily fit in with the Therian community since many of the communities feel that you have to be an Earth-based creature to be able to fit in and some even believe that Otherkin can't have animalistic tendencies.

The Question

What do you think of the term theriomythic?
___

Personally, I don't mind it because of when it's broken down:

Therio = animal; beast

Mythic = having qualities suitable to myth (Merriam-Webster)

For me, I take "mythic" to mean any non-Earth based creature such as dragons, demons, fae, entities that don't have names to their species that have qualities that aren't seen on this planet, etc. But that's just how my mind rolls. So, I have no problem with the term being used to describe me.

I have a kin-type that is animalistic in nature, but I don't necessarily fit in with the wider Otherkin community nature because I have experiences that are vastly different than what I've seen on different sites.

~ Arawn

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2013-06-03 16:53
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Term: Theriomythic
I like it and think it describes my experiences fairly well (with minor tweaking).

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2013-06-03 17:14
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

I like it. I feel like the greater otherkin community should just stop being so ridiculous about the terminology and what does and doesn't 'count' as something...but I like the term.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2013-06-04 4:04
Find
Give Thanks
Arethinn
Grump
Kintype: Sidhe/Fae, Dragon
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution:

I rather like it. It seems to fairly succinctly describe that conjoined area of mythical or "alien" animals who may be members of either or both communities, both conceptually and in social terms.

Formerly known as Eshari.
arethinn @ tumblr and Dreamwidth | shyfoxling @ DeviantArt
2013-06-05 19:52
Find
Give Thanks