Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tentacles!
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Tentacles!
Motley Wrote:One of my best net friends is a gender switched psi succubus dark elf with tentacles. He doesn't claim demon, but well, the tentacles make you wonder. Maybe he just likes hentai too much.

Ha! Rhun's got tentacles too, and we have to watch the hentai jokes around him, else we get his Death Glare.

*starts pondering the evolutionary usefulness of tentacles on a humanoid, given what she knows...*

-Svanni

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2008-12-21 4:31
Find
Give Thanks
Twilight
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: The Company You Keep
House Hesson Wrote:
Motley Wrote:One of my best net friends is a gender switched psi succubus dark elf with tentacles. He doesn't claim demon, but well, the tentacles make you wonder. Maybe he just likes hentai too much.

Ha! Rhun's got tentacles too, and we have to watch the hentai jokes around him, else we get his Death Glare.

*starts pondering the evolutionary usefulness of tentacles on a humanoid, given what she knows...*

-Svanni

I picture some sort of kung fu octopus at this point.

[Image: twilightbanner.png]
I dare an agnostic to prove he or she exists.
2008-12-21 4:54
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Tentacles!
Split because I'm seeing potential for an alternate direction of discussion here. (We tend to do that, and yes I'm amused by the multiple system that causes a need for many splits.)

Who-all here has tentacles? What are they good for?

My people generally keep energy tentacles out as a matter of habit; we're used to touching each other energetically on a constant basis. (Val has surmised that being in a multiple system is probably the most comfortable way for us to be in a species that doesn't have this constant contact. She's probably right.) This is a big part of why we tend to be xenophobic. Anyone outside the tentacle group hug doesn't seem like a target for empathy because, in our native form, we're used to "empathy" being intravenously fed to us by our tentacles. We still hurt each other, sure, but there's usually a limit to that and the more group-huggy we get with a person, the more likely we are to fall into groupthink.

We think it's also why we as a system have the shared energetic body anatomy that we do; it's been described as being like a giant robot in which we each have our own little bubbles of self. The need to touch in that way seems to mesh logically with the idea that we collectively put together this shield/shell to contain us all.

As for physical tentacles, Rhun was more shapeshifter-y than the rest of us seem to have been - something our people believed was a result of either outbreeding with more polymorphic races or traces of older, wilder blood. The latter has to do with an origin story that's pretty high on the woo meter, and we recognize that, but Rhun remembers having lived during that time, so we tentatively embrace the woo.

Aside from flexing 'em for the sake of flexing 'em, the way that he wraps them around people he cares about - and is therefore protective of - seems to just be a showier version of the displays we'd make in order to show where our connections lay, who we were allied with. But aside from that, Twilight got where I was going with my earlier ponderings. Kung fu Cthulhu's tentacle grip from all directions seems like a great move for a stealth fighter, which Rhun was for part of the life that he remembers in most detail, and which Shainin preferred while she was shifted to crab spider - she didn't have the tentacles, so she had to become something with extra limbs to do it. (And, as I'm now remembering, she also does the thing with enveloping others...when she thinks it's safe; our sweetie is afraid of spiders...)

-Svanni

2008-12-21 6:09
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Well, from a biological standpoint, increased surface area means the organism can absorb more nutrients. Perhaps tentacles function along the same principle only with capturing energy.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-12-21 6:33
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

The shinoar themselves did not have tentacles.... but my aura/energy field/whathaveyou acts rather like fog in this lifetime so when I reach for things I create tentacles. Yay for amorphousness!
2008-12-21 18:18
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

That social connection thing makes a lot of sense. My people don't have tentacles. They just sort of overlap in a cloudy aura sort of way. (At least my original unshaped people do.) I think my angelic type people did something similar with channeling over a distance. In a vision, I saw, and felt, that the thunderbirds sort of zap each other with energy that contains their essence and ideas.

So tentacle hugs make total sense to me. And I suppose any of those methods could be turned into a weapon if needed. Any time you touch someone, you can also mess with them. Or heal them.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-12-21 18:28
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Tentacles are used pretty often by Krae and Yri when a limb is needed, because of their versatility. That's pretty much the full reason, I think.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-12-22 0:14
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I can use energetic tentacles, both for feeding and "feeling".
When I come across another energy being, it's normal etiquette to lightly touch tentacles in order to identify one another because telling one another apart by sight is not effective and making a more complete form of contact with one who is not distinctly a friend can be unpleasant.
When psi-feeding from a donor, I usually wrap my tentacles around key points on that person's body, rather than physically touch hir.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-12-22 1:14
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Are tentacles more common among vampires? Who here has tentacles who is not a vampire? Just curious.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-12-22 2:52
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Motley Wrote:Are tentacles more common among vampires?

Not sure.

Motley Wrote:Who here has tentacles who is not a vampire? Just curious.

We're questioning at this point. We seemed to be, then our cravings ramped down after our depression was treated. We've lost certainty as to whether the remainder is vampirism, or residual effects of the depression and the inappropriate coping mechanisms we developed to deal with it.

-Shainin

2008-12-22 3:12
Find
Give Thanks