Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Surrogate Dreaming?
Luinbariel
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Surrogate Dreaming?
This has been posted several places, so please forgive me if you're seeing double!

This has been on my mind for awhile. It was probably just some weird coincidence, but I would like your opinions on this.

Awhile back, a friend of mine was going through a tough time. Her brother had died, and she was having a tough time dealing with the stress of the circumstances under which he died, and was being plagued with bad dreams/sleepless nights.

I offered, sort of jokingly, sort of not, that I would dream her bad dreams for her that night so that she could get some rest. I have never met her in person, and knew next to nothing about her family or their appearance; we were online friends, nothing more.

That night I did have a strange dream, full of people I didn't recognize. One of them called me by her brother's name, and I assumed I was "him" in this dream. Upon meeting another person in the dream, a woman, I felt such utter sadness mixed in with a sort of... elation. I didn't understand it, but this woman cared for the me in the dream, and that made me so sad and yet happy.

When I woke up I sent her an e-mail about what had happened, describing everything I saw, and to my surprise, she recognized the person I was as her brother, and the woman as her mother who had died when she was very young. The house I was at was their old family house, and other details matched up. She had never talked about them to me, EVER. I knew nothing of her mom, because I'd always been afraid to ask for some reason, and I knew nothing of their previous family home.

She said it had seemed to her that her mother and brother had been united once more wherever they were. I don't know, it sure felt like they were, in a sense.

What do you think, is surrogate dreaming possible?

[Image: eigthheavenaffiliate-1.jpg]
2008-02-16 6:38
Find
Give Thanks
Silyon
HS student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Surrogate Dreaming?
Firstly, I don't really see how that particular dream could be a bad one, but I'll just chalk that up to a lack of empathy.

Secondly, I'm not entirely sure how you could take someone else's dream. Change it into something else, maybe, but take something that's happening and unfolding on spur-of-the-moment would be difficult enough to require conscious effort, if possible at all. Depending on how much detail you could recall and relate to her, it more likely could have been caused by you're dwelling on it that particular night, and just so happening to have a number of more general ideas match up. At most I'd wager a guess at a shared dream, perhaps from two different points of view.

In short, I don't think you can take something someone's dreaming from someone and put it in someone else. In all actuality, it would kinda require slight but direct control of a future event, which I'm reasonably certain that no one here is able to do.
2008-02-16 17:12
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Yeah, I too don't think that it's possible to dream something "for" someone.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-02-16 17:31
Find
Give Thanks
Luinbariel
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Silyon Wrote:Firstly, I don't really see how that particular dream could be a bad one, but I'll just chalk that up to a lack of empathy.

No, it wasn't a bad dream, actually. Strange for me, but not bad.

2008-02-16 18:00
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

okay, thoughts a bit more organized....

A dream is a pile of symbols that pore out into your mind from the subconscious. To dream "for" someone would mean that you would have to be able to access their subconscious mind, and perceive it, the same way as the original dreamer, in order to have "their" dream.
You would also have to be able to prevent their access to the subconscious.

"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-02-16 18:14
Find
Give Thanks
Luinbariel
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Freetha Wrote:okay, thoughts a bit more organized....

A dream is a pile of symbols that pore out into your mind from the subconscious. To dream "for" someone would mean that you would have to be able to access their subconscious mind, and perceive it, the same way as the original dreamer, in order to have "their" dream.
You would also have to be able to prevent their access to the subconscious.

There are those who claim to be able to dream-walk, for varying reasons, and I wondered if it were not similar to this somehow. I don't think it was so much TAKING her dream as one would take an item, as it was perhaps requesting to try and work one out for her, somehow. To just let her rest and I would manage her office while she was out.

2008-02-16 18:19
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Dreamwalking usually refers to sharing the dream. Which involves the minds' interactions moreso than that of the subconscious.
Even if there might be a theoretical possibility that you could intersect the dream on it's route from the subconscious to the conscious and divert it, it's highly doubtful that anyone would be able to do that without actually practicing and directly causing it to happen. Not something that just "happens".
Dreamwalking too is a skill that need be honed before it can be proper used.

2008-02-16 18:29
Find
Give Thanks
Luinbariel
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Hm.

Well, there was some conscious effort on my part, certainly.

I'm not claiming that this is certainly what happened, either. Just seemed a curious coincidence to me.

Thanks for the input!

2008-02-16 18:33
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Curious: while you had that dream did she experience a similar one to it, or did she not dream at all?

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-02-18 22:48
Find
Give Thanks
Luinbariel
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

She said that she did not dream at all that night, that she just got a restful sleep.

2008-02-19 1:10
Find
Give Thanks