Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring-heeled Jack
HannaTrinity
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Spring-heeled Jack
I am wondering something. I do not know how many of you have heard of the legend of Spring-heeled Jack but for those that have not go to http://theshadowlands.net/jack.htm. The thing I want to know is if you think Jack might have been kin. Look forward to the replies.

[Image: hannabanner2.png]
^Made by Elinox^
2009-05-15 7:48
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Re: Spring-heeled Jack
Why would Anyone think this man was kin?
There's nothing "special" about otherkin than their beliefs.
We're all human, none of us are able to breathe fire or change shape, or leap like the human frog even.

I think this is all exaggerated, and may have begun as a prank which escalated into a host of "fraudulent" sightings (people claiming he assaulted them so they don't have to tell the truth, or people claiming he assaulted them to get a bit of the limelight) which were much easier to fake in the time before proper forensic science.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-05-15 15:36
Find
Give Thanks
RDrac
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Of course it was exaggerated- it's a myth. But there's no reason that the person who inspired it wasn't kin. I don't see any indication they necessarily where, thoguh.

Also, I didn't read thoroughly enough- but the reason he's called "spring-heeled" and could leap like a frog is because he literally had powerful springs in his heels. It wouldn't surprise me if everything else was from some similar trick, too.

My Intro if you're curious.
2009-05-15 23:38
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Correction: eyewitness reports describe someone who could leap to great heights, however there is no evidence strongly suggesting how he was able to do this (and eyewitness reports are notoriously unreliable anyway).

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-05-16 3:41
Find
Give Thanks
HannaTrinity
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

There is one account where a sentry had shot him at close range and he lept over the sentry post which was eight feet high. Could it have been exaggerated? Yes they might have been. Could others have made up being attacked to get some of the limelight? It is certainly possible and almost a certainty. I doubt the sentry was seeking the limelight though.

So how do you explain Spring-heeled Jack? The leaps could be explained with powerful springs in his boots but then he would always be leaping would he not? I don't buy the fire eater explanation since fire eaters don't hold the fire in their mouths for more than a few seconds. Also he had spoken or laughed before spitting the fire which was blue.

I see three possibilites here. One is that Spring-heeled Jack never existed. Second is he was a brilliant inventor or magician. Third is that he was kin and had physical traits of his kin type. With the last I would say dragon would have been his kin type. Anyone else have anything to add?

[Image: hannabanner2.png]
^Made by Elinox^
2009-05-16 4:55
Find
Give Thanks
RDrac
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I figure a combo of the two- maybe using the kin type to further his invention, to feel closer to it and then realized he could use it for that.

My Intro if you're curious.
2009-05-16 9:57
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Only the first option seems "reasonable" at all to me.
No, he never existed.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-05-16 17:26
Find
Give Thanks
freelanceangel
customer service *facepalm*
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Maybe my book of useless information isn't as useless as I thought it'd be. *grin*

Kay, Spring-Heeled Jack was first sighted in 1837 (London) and last reported in 1986 (Houston, Texas.) He/It has been described in a number of ways, including the features:
*clawed hands
*black cloak
*'Devil-like'
*red eyes
*wearing a helm
*tall and thin
*a 'gentleman-like' appearance

The first sighting was October 1837, when a servant girl was attacked by what they figured was a would-be rapist who had long claws. He fled the scene with 'inhuman leaps.' The next day, the same creature jumped in front of a carriage, causing the coachman to lose control of the horses. A businessman claimed to have seen a muscular man with 'devilish' features leap over a cemetary gate with a single jump. Letters from around London were sent to the mayor, complaining of similar pranks. Contrary to usual, as the legend of Spring-Heeled Jack grew, the reported sightings decreased. He later became a popular penny dreadful character.
The last sighting was reported on June 18, 1986 in Houston, Texas. No one knows exactly what Spring-Heeled Jack was/is supposed to be, but a lot of people have claimed him to be a demon. There's a similar creature by the name of Perak, the Spring Man of Prague.

[Image: frelanceangelbanner.png]
Banner/Avatar done by the GLORIOUS Elinox: THANK YOU!
2009-10-04 7:10
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

HannaTrinity Wrote:I am wondering something. I do not know how many of you have heard of the legend of Spring-heeled Jack but for those that have not go to http://theshadowlands.net/jack.htm. The thing I want to know is if you think Jack might have been kin. Look forward to the replies.

website Wrote:Usually he would rip their clothes with the claws on his hands,

and breathe flames into the victims' faces.

I totally read that as "He would rip their faces with the claws on his hands and breathe flames into the victims' clothes."

Just saying. That scared me much more.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2009-10-04 9:53
Find
Give Thanks
JDRage
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Jack was a mystery …

It happens , I mean lets face facts , even here , with the whole range of subjects being discussed , at the end of it all , we’ve only hit the very tip of the iceberg.
2009-10-07 1:52
Find
Give Thanks