Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ring my bell
Raven Nightshadow
Fast food
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Ring my bell
I've been looking into the association and correspondence of bells and was hoping to get your thoughts and ideas.

From what I found on my futile Google search is that the bell is feminine, used for purification and healing purposes, and to ward off evil spirits.

I have found a possible otherworld/underworld connection but the site did not give much more than it could be connected. Any thoughts on the other/underworld connection?

I could not get find an affermation on whether it is a water or air association, any thoughts?

"Fate may lay down the road of life, but it up to us to choose which path to take." ~Raven Nightshadow
2012-01-11 20:54
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Ring my bell
Masculine and feminine imagery is the easiest to distinguish when it comes to symbols. if it sticks out physically more then it curves in vaginally, its masculine and vice versa. I can see how an other/underworld connotation can be tired into that based on gender roles and stereotypes considering different cultures. For example in Wicca that femininity of the bell can be seen as typing into the Goddess or air elemental worship. What in particular are you after in regarding the bell's symbolic place for people? There are the comparatively more modern connotation in regards to the Liberty bell, and of course Christians have their own regard to the symbol as well that you briefly touched on. Buddhism has metal bowl that can sound like a bell that's used for meditation purposes. I'm a biased fan of the healthcare swing of it myself. In particular the Mental Health Bell (<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nmha.org/go/bell">http://www.nmha.org/go/bell</a><!-- m -->)

Can't blame so many groups for latching onto such a versatile symbol. Especially with the verity of sounds it's capable of making, most of which having that defining triumphant ring. While not relaxing in most cases, is definitely uplifting. Or shrill and painful, so I'm sure there are groups that take a negative twist on the otherwise positive symbol. And now i have the idea stuck in my head that the bell is the cheep whore of the symbolic world with all this multitasking it's pulling off everywhere.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2012-02-01 0:25
Find
Give Thanks