Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Responsibility
Selana
Feral Classicist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Responsibility
Since I've returned online, I have been registering at different OK forums. Some of these forums appear to welcome critical discussion, while others have questionable posts that go unquestioned (trying to put things diplomatically here). When I was online before this was also the situation, so it was common to find forums where users would post a tick list for a kin type (you are an elf if you meet these ten criteria) and similarly dubious things. Back then, I could barely be bothered to post in communities where such behaviour was rampant (and sometimes encourgaed). I just stuck to my own forum. Now, however, I feel more of a need to speak up and challenge these sorts of posts, because I think its damaging for newly awakening kin.

What I am wondering is: do you feel a responsibility to join and speak up in these communities and, if so, why?
2009-02-26 14:09
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Responsibility
I do mainly because I've met a ton of people who have been negatively affected by forums I deem fluffy and come to a serious forum (like this one) thinking they're whatever because some admin told them they are or something equally dubious.

I also enjoy playing with fluffballs :X

I guess I have some kind of hope in the back of my mind that if enough people explain what's off with the information that the people who believe it will at least see another view point and that people who are new to the community, and/or the concept of otherkin in general, won't just see the one bit of information and be mislead by it.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2009-02-26 14:46
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

no, i usually leave those communities or don't even join in the first place. you cannot change the minds of really stubborn leaders (and the types of forums you mentioned usually have them), it's only a waste of energy and bits. also, you cannot forcefully take those places down. you can only hope more people will leave and the forums will eventually starve to death.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2009-02-26 14:53
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I'm just glad that forums like these exist, and I direct people here, and to TFW when I think it's appropriate. The other forums I visited in the past were all about 'name that kin type' and 'really strange memories that we all seem to share.' I used to think that was all there was to the community so I didn't see any reason to get involved previously. Then some kind person directed me over here and I discovered discussion! Yay!

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-02-26 15:14
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

If someone's got a blatantly wrong fact that they're spouting off about, I tend to try and correct them. As nicely and professionally as possible of course. However, for the most part I avoid doing so as 1. they wouldn't listen to me anyways, 2. technically it's none of my business what someone believes or calls themself 3. I don't want to start more drama and 4. it's not worth my time as there's always going to be fluffbunnies and it's not my place to cull them all. I'm a member of communities for my own benefit, not to play other people's mommy.

Online forums that are like this I simply avoid to save myself the headache.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-02-26 15:45
Find
Give Thanks
Selcar
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Nope. Too tired at yelling at brick walls to bother anymore.

"Justice, like lightning, should appear, to few men's ruin but to all men's fear."

[Image: Selcar.jpg]
2009-02-26 18:15
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Selana Wrote:Since I've returned online, I have been registering at different OK forums. Some of these forums appear to welcome critical discussion, while others have questionable posts that go unquestioned (trying to put things diplomatically here). When I was online before this was also the situation, so it was common to find forums where users would post a tick list for a kin type (you are an elf if you meet these ten criteria) and similarly dubious things. Back then, I could barely be bothered to post in communities where such behaviour was rampant (and sometimes encourgaed). I just stuck to my own forum.

The difference between "then" and "now" is fairly big, IMO - and it's not just a case of "the older I get, the better I was."

Back in the good old days, there were a handful of forums that were properly serious - they all had differnet atmospheres and different dominant personalities, but (off the top of my head) Other Haven, Hidden Lair, and FAEBorn all had reasonably sensible, critical discussion. There were also a number of active Yahoo lists of a similar level.

Now, the Yahoo lists are dead and the only remotely "serious" general kin boards I know of are here and TFW. (I'm sure people will feel there are others - by my own criteria, I haven't seen any.) The sensible, non-fluff discussion has been cut down to a much smaller number of locales and with a much smaller number of people - generally the sane, talkative otherkin are on all the boards anyway.

There is, however, a preponderance of pure fluff idiocy boards. There always has been - but the lack of good, serious boards means the idiotkin have a relatively louder voice.

Quote:Now, however, I feel more of a need to speak up and challenge these sorts of posts, because I think its damaging for newly awakening kin.

What I am wondering is: do you feel a responsibility to join and speak up in these communities and, if so, why?

Very much so, and for the reason you state: fluff bullshit is IMO seriously damaging to newly awakening kin. (For a similar reason I was never a fan of the NewKin and KinFrontiers lists - I think it's better for the newbies to be in with the grown ups.) Unfortunately, it takes a huge amount of energy to provide a voice of sanity that's loud enough for the impressionable to hear . . . especially when there are plenty of (sometimes unknowing) predators ready to fuck with the heads of the new. So I don't put myself above the parapet nearly as much as I should.

Selcar Wrote:Nope. Too tired at yelling at brick walls to bother anymore.

That's interesting, because if, a few years ago, someone hadn't made a point of yelling at brick walls on the forum that was at the time the undisputed capital of otherkin stupidity - would you still be hanging out on MSNOK?

Not a criticism at all - just an observation.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-02-26 18:23
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I find personal amusement in tipping the scales.

If someone's fluff, I like being the serious one to knock them out of it.

Likewise, if someone's got a stick up their butt, I like beating them with a q-tip.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2009-02-26 21:46
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I don't know "why" exactly, but I do feel some drive to go forth and tell people to stop being stupid myself.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-02-26 22:29
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

TFW's rather declined lately, actually - or had before we stopped bothering to read there anymore. Which is very sad.

We generally don't bother unless we feel some kind of personal investment in the community. Mainly here. We like having a place to ask those questions and have them asked of us, and it's not necessarily going to stay that way unless the people in the community enforce that culture of (good-natured) questioning.

If we don't care that much about a forum or group, we generally ignore the fluff and bad logic. Been recently tempted to play with some of them and see what kind of reactions we can get but at the same time I think it's agreed in here that we don't want to create a sockpuppet for all of the bad we see in the community - exaggerated claims, roleplaying, trolling. As entertaining as it might be for some of us, there's enough bull going around out there.

-Svanni

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2009-02-27 0:41
Find
Give Thanks