Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Polymorphs
Rein
Nuisance
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Polymorphs
There seem to be an awful lot of these little buggers around, random energetic beings, usually formless, with no particular alignment, lots of different abilities, and who knows where they all come from. The generally excepted term for them is "polymorphs", though some people consider them to be some form of demon. I can't say I agree on that, but to each their own.

So, how many polymorphs are there in our current populace? If you are one, where do you think you originate from? What do you know about yourself?

And if you aren't one, what do you think all of these little buggers are exactly? Is the term "polymorph" really appropriate?

-----
I personally believe I'm a kind of polymorph, though I can't say I know an awful lot about myself or my origins. However, I have some yet unconfirmed information that I may have been 'born', or at least lurked in some chaotic plan somewhere, and that I used to be considerable more malicious than I am right now. Can't say how accurate that information is, as I'm still poking it's source with a stick.

As far as attributes, I have the ability to change my shape, as well as a natural talent for energy manipulation. Transferring energy between myself and others is my specialty, though I *suspect* I may also have talents for shielding and non-physical warfare. That's an unknown, though.

So discuss!
2008-01-10 15:06
Find
Give Thanks
Taiaka
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Polymorphs
Someone very dear to me considers himself a 'shapeshifter'. He does not like the term polymorph because he can only shift into living things excluding plants (which is considered taboo). I want to point out that this man I am speaking of happens to be one of the most attractive men I have ever met. I don't know if this on on par for his kintype, but I thought it was interesting enough to mention. I've known him for like....jeez, 16 years now, he and I constantly chat and worble about the logistics of all of it. He believes that therians and polymorphs are related and that they are more of natural occurance rather than a product of chaos; that polymorphic magic died and was sealed a long time ago. There is also a belief that shapeshifters and the jinn (or myth therefored named) are in the same family, reap the benefits of the same frequency of [sealed] magic. He says he had a true form the way one has a true name, and that they are related. Words and song are important to the shape he wants to take and that it is more important to 'shift' the background rather than one's self.

But Kayako brings up a good point by mentioning that polymorphs are seen as some sort of 'demon'. Stories from our history have always demonized things with the ability to change shape, or use the ability as a literary device in order to warn the reader. Perhaps they want to teach a moral lesson like in A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing. In fact, many fairy tales include talking animals too. There is Kitsune of the east, a woman that is a fox that is a woman that is a fox. There are local, cultural stories that include some horrible shifting animal or sentient beast that roam the countryside; if you were a child and heard this, wouldn't you be wary of going into the forest alone? Such is a moral lesson that demonizes 'polymorphs' as a sort of left-handed compliment if you think about it. I think it is easy to depict a shapeshifter as 'evil' in myth, a romantic tragic flaw in some cases, but mostly meant to be feared.

What I feel from my shapeshifter guy may not be the status quo though. To be honest, I've never been in the physical presence of another...But I get someone who is a 5 o'clock shadow away from being an animal human rather than a human animal. I think he knows things I don't because his other senses are just that much cooler than mine (though to quell my ego, I have pondered the possibility of instinctual cold reading, some sort of primal defense mechanism for survival....) He's also extremely charming to the other sex although he is not well spoken. His daily routine is completely random, like COMPLETELY, there is no telling what he's going to be doing one moment to the next let alone tomorrow. And he's prone to anger....But you know, I bet if he read that I wrote he's prone to anger, he would cry. Loyal to a fault, it sometimes gets him in trouble, but I love him anyway.

So that's my polymorph pov, I hope it was somehow helpful, or at least, well written.
*sneezes*
Tai

"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

[Image: smokersigwt8.jpg]
2008-01-24 20:14
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Odd that I didn't see this thread before. But yes, with the criteria here, I could consider myself to be a polymorph. It fits better than many other possibilities that I've considered. I'm/We're not exactly energetic. Generally formless checks out, although there are prefered forms. I have an alignment, but it is more an alignment to the continued existance of the universe than to any singular force. Anybody that has known me also knows about my sight, so that's my cut of special abilities (Along with my skill at energy manipulation). Personally, I came from the threads of existance itself. I was just pulled out and formed into a being. And I am not a demon.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-01-24 20:55
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Hm, like I've said before, I use "demon" as a descriptor because it sounds right.

However, it doesn't ALWAYS sound right. Sometimes, I'd prefer to say "polymorph," "shapeshifting entity," or "being of chaos."

Sometimes, people equate chaos with discord and evil and all that stuff, and I have to get down to the basics and explain that to me, it's something much more primal and base than what most people correlate in their minds.

So, I could call myself a polymorph. It fits. A lot of things fit. ^_^

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-02-05 20:54
Find
Give Thanks
Tzolkin
Student: Sociology/General (A.S. 2010) Computer Science (B.S. 2014) Mathematics (A.S. 2014) Applied Computer Science (M.S. Beg. 2016)
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I (we?) could be considered a kind of polymorph. I could take the form of pretty much whatever I wanted, but prefer certain forms because well... I like them. That, or a life I had in that form had a strong impact of some sort. I'm not sure yet.

Where I originate from is not exactly a set place. I tend to be a home unto myself, and just wander freely. I'm not sure where I'd fit in terms of alignment either. I don't think I'm a demon but I'm not overly angelic either. No white light for me. I'll seek it out sometimes, but only in the same way a nocturnal reptile seeks out the sun.

In some circles I use the title 'Mad Catter' to describe myself, as that basically sums up a lot about me. Mad as a Hatter (also eluding to the environment of Alice in Wonderland), shapeshifting, and a strong preference for feline or sometimes elven forms.

Cheers, o__o

~Tzolkin
2008-02-08 0:06
Find
Give Thanks
pelagic_soul
Trying to get along life while maintaining at least a shred of my sanity.....and there it goes, out the window..
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

My partner(who actually isn't a part of this site), thinks it's possible I am. I, as most know, have gone a long while thinking I was a mermaid-though that was a kin I was given. A friend said "You're a mermaid." And I went with it. But for a couple months now, I've been seriously debating it as it no longer feels quite right to me.

But I have this ability to mock pretty much any animal call I hear, which he believes to be an important part in finding out who I am. I don't know myself; I'm still questioning it, but it just makes me realize all the more that I hate when someone tells me that I'm "this" or "that", because darnit, I want to find out for myself(though at least he said it's "possible" not you ARE this x_X).

'bout as far as I've gotten though, is I know the element I'm connected to is water. I know that for a fact. But, that's as far as I've gotten. *shrugs*
2008-06-28 11:11
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

simim23 Wrote:Hm, like I've said before, I use "demon" as a descriptor because it sounds right.

However, it doesn't ALWAYS sound right. Sometimes, I'd prefer to say "polymorph," "shapeshifting entity," or "being of chaos."

Sometimes, people equate chaos with discord and evil and all that stuff, and I have to get down to the basics and explain that to me, it's something much more primal and base than what most people correlate in their minds.

So, I could call myself a polymorph. It fits. A lot of things fit. ^_^

I just use the descriptive "big ball of chaos" when referring to your kintype. Though, as we've discussed many times IRL, that falls into Kahoku's definition of demon.

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2008-06-30 1:43
Find
Give Thanks
Starwind
Nightmare fuel station attendant
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I am not sure if I've been a shapeshifter, I may have, or it may be many different bodies long ago with memories all merging together. I think I've been things that have not been my "main" type of what I think is elf - I'm quite sure I was a cat rather recently, because I feel it strongly in some ways (but not such that I think it's the original soul type), it may have just been as a brief vacation before this life. But I don't know what was when...for all I know, we all originated as pure energy that could shift into whatever, and the only difference is how strong a memory and how recently we've done that. I don't know. I seem to say that a lot.

"I" often refers to unusually large values of 1...
[Image: sort-python3.gif]
2008-07-01 10:20
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Of all the things to get into the habit of saying, 'I don't know,' is a good one.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-07-01 19:29
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The traits you and others have mentioned sound similar to abilities shamans and other magickal users have, the energy transfers, the shapeshifting, etc.

Though I must be mistaken, because I was under the impression that a polymorph was someone with multiple types, not this formless bundle of energy (which sounds awfully close to my definition of general souls and spirits) that's mentioned here. If that's the criteria, doesn't everyone and everything that's living have part of that energy that was once chaos? Even humans? It just sounds so basic, like the stem cells of an embryo that can turn into any part of the body, even the brain.

If I'm way off in my assumptions, please correct me. You can tell I'm new here too, I gotta get used to the definitions posted in this community.
2008-07-04 3:49
Give Thanks