Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otakukin?
Svaenohr
Professional weirdo
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Otakukin?
Otakukin. For those who don't already know, otakukin are people whose kin-type is fictional, often from an anime universe. What are your thoughts?

Me: As with anything, especially otherkin issues, I take otakukin with a pound of salt. But I don't hate on a person just because they are otakukin. As a writer, I know that the act of writing fiction is very powerful. And as someone who believes that anything that *can* happen *does* happen in some alternate universe, I see no reason why fictional works cannot be telling about real other worlds, either by channelling existing information from an already-extant universe, or by creating a new universe.

I also must admit to a teensy bit of personal experience in this matter. I started out extremely skeptical of this whole otherkin thing, but by the time I came across information about otakukin, I was more open minded. After all, I don't know for sure whether the kin types of four of the people in my head are even technically otherkin or technically otakukin. I say this because I started out creating the Traipah universe as a work of fiction and only later started to think I was channelling a universe already extant, which the planet Traipah accounts for three of the people in my head, a different kin type for each (Fayanora, an Ah'Koi Bahnis; Negarahn, a Duenicallo; and Shao'Kehn, an Ah'Koi Bahnis Goddess). And Pi, my polymorph aspect, is of a kintype that I created for another set of stories in a seperate universe. Is it otakukin if its one's own fictional works? Or does one's kintype have to be from someone else's fictional universe to be otakukin?

Also, I have a fourth person living in my head with me, Lolita Leigh Smith, who began life as an individual fictional character for a story I wrote. She was an exceptionally good character in an exceptionally poor story, a story I never finished. We joke that she hated the story she was in so much that she moved out of it and into my head with me, though really things were more complicated (I always put part of myself into all of my characters, and I put a bit more into her than usual. So she became my inner Goth lesbian). Is *she* an otakukin? I'm not very clear on the difference here.

Furthermore, for a brief time I felt very drawn to the Drow, but ultimately decided I wasn't that because at heart I'm too nice, even if I present a really assholish face sometimes.

Thoughts?

-Pi

Ich bin ein Diener des Lebens.

Pi = An irrational number.
2009-02-22 4:55
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Otakukin?
I'd rather people believe themselves to be characters *they* made up at least. And that's where my only real issue is. You have many people claiming to be the same main characters (almost never 3rd guy on the left, episode 13, at 5:42 into the episode, the one buying a cabbage) and then often fighting over who is the real one. And because there is a good chance that we are all making this up subconsciously, at least I'm using a fragment of MY creation, rather than someone else. It's still one hundred percent me that way. But if I claimed to... oh... say, be Haruhi from Ouran Host Club, then I am subsuming myself into the creation of another, a fragment of their imagination that they still have complete control over. Because if I decided that she went on to marry Kyoya, but then the original author decided to draw more and had her marry Tamaki... or had her marry no one, the *creator* is correct, not me, and not my "memories" because the creator created her and is in control.

But, to each their own. I'm a jaded old flappy lizard and for the most part I ignore the whole issue.
2009-02-22 7:47
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

i just recently talked to someone about getting memories back through creating rp characters or writing fiction. but i don't think it's inventing your kin side, just the opposite. by letting your thoughts, your fantasy flow freely, you're much more open to messages from your subconscious. that's how divination works too. i found out a lot of things simply by daydreaming. of course, something like that has to be taken with a grain of salt, or else you will produce your kin side instead of finding it.

as for otakukin - what shiari said. there are far too many narutos for it to be believable, imho.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2009-02-22 11:02
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I think the concept of fictionkin (I prefer that term as I don't see the need for Japanese connotations) is entirely possible, but the vast, vast majority of people who claim to be same are mistaken. I've explained my thoughts on it in quite a bit of depth elsewhere, probably on this forum, so I won't take the time to type them out again.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-02-22 12:24
Find
Give Thanks
Twilight
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

My own experience is similar. A while back, I started writing a story down that would run around in my head. This character would have many names in the long run so I normally called him simply Hero. Eventually the story shifted and he became half human and half celestial. Then one day a battle formed in my head between the Hero and the character I called the Anti-hero, a man who was half demon. The result of that battle was one person, half of the Hero and half of the Anti-hero.

I know that this story may have some true elements. (The names have been changed to prortect the innocent) Still I wonder, am I just plain nuts to let my imagination for letting my imagination run away? There was just so much of this character that felt right. It was at a later time that I discovered that I was angelic.

[Image: twilightbanner.png]
I dare an agnostic to prove he or she exists.
2009-02-22 14:23
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

http://otherkinphenomena.org/phpBB3/view...f=11&t=718

That's the original Otakukin thread. I think that's what Archer is talking about.
2009-02-22 15:48
Give Thanks
Svaenohr
Professional weirdo
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Shiari Wrote:I'd rather people believe themselves to be characters *they* made up at least. And that's where my only real issue is. You have many people claiming to be the same main characters (almost never 3rd guy on the left, episode 13, at 5:42 into the episode, the one buying a cabbage) and then often fighting over who is the real one. And because there is a good chance that we are all making this up subconsciously, at least I'm using a fragment of MY creation, rather than someone else. It's still one hundred percent me that way. But if I claimed to... oh... say, be Haruhi from Ouran Host Club, then I am subsuming myself into the creation of another, a fragment of their imagination that they still have complete control over. Because if I decided that she went on to marry Kyoya, but then the original author decided to draw more and had her marry Tamaki... or had her marry no one, the *creator* is correct, not me, and not my "memories" because the creator created her and is in control.

But, to each their own. I'm a jaded old flappy lizard and for the most part I ignore the whole issue.

Amen to all that!

kahoku Wrote:i just recently talked to someone about getting memories back through creating rp characters or writing fiction. but i don't think it's inventing your kin side, just the opposite. by letting your thoughts, your fantasy flow freely, you're much more open to messages from your subconscious. that's how divination works too. i found out a lot of things simply by daydreaming. of course, something like that has to be taken with a grain of salt, or else you will produce your kin side instead of finding it.

Makes sense.

-Pi

Ich bin ein Diener des Lebens.

Pi = An irrational number.
2009-02-22 17:13
Find
Give Thanks
vampyre_smiles
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I'm going to be devil's advocate here. If there are an infinite number of universes, then there's also an infinite number of variations on a universe theme ("Naruto Universes" or "Oran High" or whatever). And most of those, will have those "characters" living in them as real people. So these people could, in theory, ALL be Naruto for example, and ALL have different memories and none of them would be lying, because they would technically be from very similar but distinct universes.

However, anyone claiming to be THE Naruto from a universe perfectly corresponding to the TV show, I'd call them on bs.

[Image: 2mLJ.gif]
2009-02-23 2:44
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

vampyre_smiles Wrote:I'm going to be devil's advocate here. If there are an infinite number of universes, then there's also an infinite number of variations on a universe theme ("Naruto Universes" or "Oran High" or whatever). And most of those, will have those "characters" living in them as real people. So these people could, in theory, ALL be Naruto for example, and ALL have different memories and none of them would be lying, because they would technically be from very similar but distinct universes.

However, anyone claiming to be THE Naruto from a universe perfectly corresponding to the TV show, I'd call them on bs.

Our feelings too. We're also open to the possibility of psychological fictionkin, as we are to psychological Otherkin. (We have one, in fact: Shang was created by Val as a character who embodied some traits she didn't see in herself/us, but found enough latent tendencies in here to develop into a full person.)

-Shainin

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2009-02-23 3:23
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I think that calling a carefully constructed work of fiction anything other than that is an insult to every great author out there. This includes Milton.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-02-23 21:25
Find
Give Thanks