Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Otakukin
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Otakukin
Cause I like start’in stuff at 5:30 in the morning.

The best argument I’ve ever heard for it was along the lines of:
“Well, it’s modern mythology and stories that we’re basing this on. The only difference between me thinking I’m a Saiyan (alien species from Dragon Ball) and you thinking you’re a dragon is the timing of publication.”

But there’s still a problem with this argument. Another very important difference is that the past mythologies were not written up for purely entertainment purposes from the mind of an admitted author. People actually believed (and possibly still do believe) in dragons, angels, cryptids, demons, unicorns, elves, ect. The stories were written about entities that at least had some semblance of chance at having existed on this plane (or another that had some trippy cross-over going on). Sure oral tradition messes stuff up, and mistranslations don’t help, but overall the above listing had been written about on multiple people’s accounts, and not always for the purpose of entertainment.

Overall, it’s hard for me to accredit a 30 year old individual with being the reincarnation of a character from a story or game that’s only been around for 5-10 years.

Time lines are probably the largest threat to Otakukin credibility. Oh, and possibly a shut-in unhealthy lifestyles where they relate to made up characters more then actual people.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-06-13 9:38
Find
Give Thanks
Myenia
music student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Re: Otakukin
LOL I have to admit...it'd be pretty cool to be a Saiyan. Its such a shame that its all bullsh*t.

The only way I'd buy anyone claiming to be otakukin, would be if what they are is a modern (or just different) take on a traditional mythology. But even then, I wouldn't consider them otakukin...just kin with a good anime, book, etc that illustrates the reality of their existence.
2008-06-13 12:49
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

If someone had accurate journals of their otakukinocitude BEFORE even the manga of an anime came out, I may be interested. Otherwise, it's probably little more than wishful thinking by fanboys and girls.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-06-13 14:54
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

My biggest additional issue is thus:

People are always either main characters, or from superspecialAWESOME! races, or at least so it seems. It's like with dragons sometimes: Where are the boring/peasant/normal/ordinary ones?

As to it being no different because of modern mythology, I challenge with "There is a good chance that we are not as we think. However, at least my identity is based on MY constructs. It is wholly of myself. YOU are basing your Self on the constructs of another, which means you are actually nothing but someone else's imagination. You as a true individual do not exist. If I had to choose between being imaginary creatures, I'd choose the one I damn well came up with on my own!"

I feel that claiming to be another's imaginary character is also something of a copout. The personality, the events, they're all there. No effort involved except arguing to the other 50 Sailor Moons that YOU are the real one and they're all making it up.

*grouches off*
2008-06-13 15:36
Find
Give Thanks
Alaska.Street
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

*peeks in* What's this? I'm posting? Woah...

We had a discussion about this on another forum I frequent and my basic conclusion came to be 'if they're not hurting themselves or anyone who'm I to judge?' True, I'll be very suspicious if someone I know claims to be Link from the Zelda games or Ichigo from Bleach but I'd go ahead and give them the benefit of the doubt. After all, there's things I do/believe in that they could say is strange or unnatural. It all comes down to perception, I guess. *shrug*

Man, now I'm kinda wishing I was a Sailor Scout. I did had a dream about me being a super hero named Blue Moon before Sailor Moon came to America. IT'S A SIGN! =o

*slinks back into lurkdom* << >>
2008-06-13 23:54
Find
Give Thanks
NightStorm
Getting a Job through BVR, Professional Noob Smasher and Troll Detector
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

*smells deja vu*

Didn't leave Otherkin.com for this? Anyway my 2c is pretty much. Let them believe what they want to believe.

[Image: 10hvc68.jpg] Visit here [url="Ramblings of an Autistic Therian"]http://autistictherian.blogspot.com/[/url]
2008-06-14 1:27
Find
Give Thanks
Granamyr
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

People believed in mythical beings before writing about them. No one believed in Gandalf the Grey before JRR Tolkein. I think it's silly and makes the community look bad.
2008-06-14 2:47
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Granamyr Wrote:People believed in mythical beings before writing about them. No one believed in Gandalf the Grey before JRR Tolkein. I think it's silly and makes the community look bad.

Most(not all, mind you) people thought elves were short little things that either frolicked with fae or worked in Santa's workshop before Tolkein.
And nobody thought they were from another planet, as far as I know.

People didn't believe in aliens until they believed in other planets.
"greys" weren't heard of before this century.
(AND, people didn't believe in them until they heard media reports on them. So they heard it from a source first, then believed.)

This goes with anything: if you haven't seen it face-to-face, you don't believe in it until someone tells you about it. Written or told, either way.

On the other hand, perhaps Otakukin are claiming to be things that were believed in before hand and then written about.

Saiyans may resemble some sort of alien race. You never know. They're identifying with that because they don't have a word for it otherwise.

Sailor senshi and all that jazz: magical girl genre started out loosely from the Japanese dubs of Bewitched. Yea, so witches and girls with power. Believing you're a sailor senshi is about the same, therefore, as practicing magic or believing in another life you were a shaman. Big deal.

Believing you know EXACTLY who you were and that somebody happens to be well known, however you twist it, tips my BS meter(however, not really my GAS meter... yet.) An otakukin who believes they were in the vampire "clan" of say, Raziel from Soul Reaver, is one thing. But claiming to be THE Raziel is like a "normal" vamp claiming to be Dracula, or a "regular" Otherkin claiming to be Lucifer.

I don't see the problem with claiming to be from a storyline that is recently created. You've got 'kin on here claiming to have splintered souls, souls in different dimensions, their kinside being the FUTURE incarnation of theirself, mulitples, people without souls, souls that aren't even souls, and so on and so forth.

You've got 'kin on here coming up with something that's very much like something in a story. Perhaps some Otakukin are just using storylines to identify with something similar.

The idea of Otakukin, therefore, is just as probable to me as Otherkin is period. ^_^

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-06-14 4:11
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

well, you don't believe in otakukin but you state that there's an explanation to it. which doesn't make otakukin more believable for me.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-06-14 10:24
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Fantasy characters are often built on archetypes.
Archetypes are easy to identify with.

Same can be said about otherkin, many kintypes are archetypical in their nature. Fallen angels -> the rebel...

See what I'm getting at?
Real "incarnations" of fictional characters who originate in another place, another plane of existence, another planet, or not.. they are, in a sense, a reminder of how far fetched our own beliefs are.
And as such, they remind a lot of kin of something that they don't want to be reminded of, and that can cause a lot of otherkin to blow up and react with anger. No one likes being reminded that their beliefs could be build on shaky ground.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-06-14 12:32
Find
Give Thanks