Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Origin of the idea of "spirit attachments"?
Chordal
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Origin of the idea of "spirit attachments"?
I thought that it would be easier if I asked about this, rather than "Host".

Sie wishes to uncover the origin of the concept of "spirit attachments," thinking that if sie could zero in on the source, along with what sie knows of me and my history, we may be able to uncover more history and/or explanations as to why things are the way they are, how they got to be that way, and what to do next.

Given what we've found online through some cursory searching, it's extremely apparent that the concept of "spirit attachments" is mostly promoted by New Agers, which, in Host's thoughts, takes away from its credibility. However, the concept of an attachment (like me) who joins and integrates with a host is basically spot-on to our situation, though Host is not...amenable to regarding me as essentially "negative." That is, our situation was mentioned in a book on psychic self-defense. As we can best recall, everything nominally matches except (in hir mind) the probability that I was partially to blame for hir distressing social situation (this is not something sie's willing to contest at this time) and the valuation of "me" (sie calls me "Bell") as "negative." That is, the description of the situation matches; the rationalization and valuation does not. And Host expects bias from said author, given whom he's mentioned as "friends."

From this, we came to the conclusion last night that if we could trace the idea of "spirit attachments" through history and back to their probable source in Theosophy (as Theosophy was the [nominal] root of the New Age movement), we might have a good chance of identifying relevant world cultures which contributed to the idea. If we can find cultures, we would there have a possible past-life link as to from where "we" (our conglomerate) might have originated. Why do we want to know this? Host wants to know because sie wants to know more about me and our situation; just recently, we realized that our state is that of a host + integrating "attachment"; if we can find a name for our situation, we may well have a "kintype." It's not guaranteed that it will be non-human (though if we trace it back far enough, it probably originates from the spirit side, not the human side), but the otherkin community is where we are, at least for now.

And Host has now been surprised by the "spirit side"/"human side" dialectic that I've just mentioned, given hir strong background as regards being "mixed-race;" and sie is now wondering whether I and sie are the father and mother of a new being who will continue on. This, as versus any concept of "illegality" of reincarnation, or "stealing" or "eating" of souls.

Good enough. Will send.

-- "Bell"
2014-05-26 0:39
Find
Give Thanks
Chordal
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Re: Origin of the idea of "spirit attachments"?
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dybbuk">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dybbuk</a><!-- m -->
2016-01-01 5:21
Find
Give Thanks