Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names?
Rixem
In an Ongoing Existential Crisis
Kintype: Unsure
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick 

Names?
This isn't quite an otherkin thing, but I imagine a lot of people here can relate.

I've never liked my name or considered it "me".

My old name I've mostly stopped using. I hated hearing other people say it. It's uncommon in the U.S., so people tend to mispronounce it or ask me how to say it or look down at it it written somewhere & panic because they can't read it. And it was a religious name & I have a bad history with religion.

I use my middle name now, but it's still not my top choice. It's more convenient, but it's not my name

(My username here is just a made up sound, I make up random names on the internet.)

I know people say you can choose any name you want, but that's not true. If you pick a name that people decide doesn't fit you, people get upset. I don't fit with any particular ethnicity, so any name I could pick would get labeled either "cultural appropriation" or "trying to fit in with everybody else" or both.

I hate saying my name & I hate it when people ask. I wish I didn't have to have a name. It bothers me a lot.

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-20 3:00
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

RE: Names?
Could you get a nickname you'd be happy with? Like an abbreviation of your given name? Even something as simple as the first letter?

I'm in the habit of giving nicknames to friends; usually based on either a hobby, like or quirk. All the nicknames I've bestowed have stuck and others now use them more often then their real names. Tongue

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2022-11-22 1:43
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem
In an Ongoing Existential Crisis
Kintype: Unsure
Contribution: tick 

RE: Names?
(2022-11-22 1:43)Elinox Wrote:  Could you get a nickname you'd be happy with? Like an abbreviation of your given name? Even something as simple as the first letter?

I'm in the habit of giving nicknames to friends; usually based on either a hobby, like or quirk. All the nicknames I've bestowed have stuck and others now use them more often then their real names. Tongue

Some people try to call me a nickname of my first name, but I like that even less. Nobody's made up a random nickname; I guess that's just not common here.

I kind of just want a normal name if I have to have a name at all. But I feel like I dont really "have" a name, it's just a sound I'm trained to respond to

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-22 5:38
Find
Give Thanks