Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple 'Kin Types
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Multiple 'Kin Types
This topic was brought up on another Otherkin forum and I wanted to share it here since it's something that's been on my mind a lot lately.

If you identify as having more than one 'kin type, how many types do you have and what are they? (I would include multiples in this since sometimes they can have different types too.)

How did you discover you had more than one type? And how do you experience them; together or as separate entities?

Why do you believe you have more than one 'kin type? Examples: it's how you identify because of varying personality traits, it's a coping mechanism, it feels right, etc.

For those of you who identify with only one 'kin type, do you believe it's possible to have more than one?

I'm of the belief that someone can have more than one 'kin type, however it takes a long time for an individual to figure things out through research, meditation, etc. before they should claim more than one.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-12-30 16:50
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Multiple 'Kin Types
I think it's possible to have more than one kin-type but once you reach three, I start to be highly skeptical of your claim UNLESS you can give me a really good explanation as to why you feel you have three or more kin-types [i.e. do not tell me you found out through dreams or that you were bitten by so-and-so, etc.]. Also, if you tell me you came upon the conclusion of having multiple kin-types after only a week of researching, meditation, etc. I'm more-than-likely going to think you're nuts but I won't tell you so--I have no right to tell you that you're possibly off your rocker but that doesn't mean I'm required to believe you, either. However, I've met only a few kin who claim multiple kin-types so I'm a little bit less skeptical of them than with someone with three or more theriotypes [because I've encountered this a lot and only one or two actually seem non-fluffy] but as a result I'm skeptical of the whole three or more kin-types or theriotypes.

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2009-12-30 17:16
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Elinox Wrote:If you identify as having more than one 'kin type, how many types do you have and what are they? (I would include multiples in this since sometimes they can have different types too.)

Eight of the main frontrunners are elves and seven of us have definite theriotypes:
S'aryn: European wildcat or barn cat (definitely not the kind to come in the house, but either way, somewhat used to humanoid company)
Solundat: stag
Rhun: owl
Val: beetle
Cai: melanistic wild cat of some kind
Shainin: spider
Svanni: fox

The eighth, Aspen, is a split of mine (Shainin) and has not had any experiences to suggest having a theriotype, though it's possible she inherited spider. In August or so, we hit upon a route back to one of our old homes and became a gateway system of sorts; there are some who chose to come and live with us but we don't know which of them have thereotypes, or even how many of them there are living downbelow so that we could start to compile demographic information!

Elinox Wrote:How did you discover you had more than one type? And how do you experience them; together or as separate entities?

At times, each of us would feel moved to behavior consistent with the theriotype and sometimes feel the subtle body's taken a different shape. (I have chelicerae, which are the spider equivalent of mandibles; Rhun has big pointy tufts on his head that definitely narrow down which type of owl he could be). Some of us have brought up brief memories - Rhun flying, Cai running in a forest and seeing that his front paws were feline and black. It feels like an overlay of sorts, for lack of better words. There isn't a huge mindshift, more of a blending, and it feels consistent with our normal range of behavior but definitely skews to a certain portion of that range in a consistent way.

Elinox Wrote:Why do you believe you have more than one 'kin type? Examples: it's how you identify because of varying personality traits, it's a coping mechanism, it feels right, etc.

It feels as if this animal affinity is an internal thing, not a connection to a totem or guide. Our current theory is that this was a common thing for our species, whether it expressed naturally like handedness or puberty, or was induced. Either way, it feels like it goes along with our innate nature and self-identity, so I doubt we got to choose what we got.

Elinox Wrote:For those of you who identify with only one 'kin type, do you believe it's possible to have more than one?

Going to answer this because our explanation for us is a pretty limited one that I don't think most people would have.

We internally agree that it's possible for different soul parts/fragments, or different memories, to be loaded into a new person. We don't know how common that is. We internally agree that it's possible to have had lifetimes as different nonhuman species. We don't know how common that is but are inclined to think it's fairly common if the soul or a soul fragment has been around a while. And we don't subscribe to the idea that kintype has to be what a person was in zir first lifetime; anything that's left an impression is fair game for us.

That said, whether we believe a person's claim of multiple kintypes is a decision much like whether we believe a person's claim of having any kintype. The more zie seems to have thought about the information zie's got, and the more zie seems to put thought into zir opinions and beliefs in general, the more we're inclined to at least give benefit of the doubt.

-Shainin

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2009-12-30 22:19
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I think that I am technically a being of many and no kintypes. I believe that I came into being as a result of many partial fragments coming together into something resembling a whole mind. Many of these fragments came from a variety of non-human beings. However, since I came into existence inside a human body as a split from an Astero, I'm also fully human, as well as Astero, myself.
I believe that the two others that formerly inhabited this body "collected" pieces of energy from beings that they encountered (and probably fed on, in a vampiric fashion) and that a good portion of those pieces went into my making. I'm not sure of this, but I think that this is how Asteroi come into being - they are fashioned out of many energy particles into a sentient being - and that my former headmates were fulfilling the reproductive instincts of their species for several centuries (or thousands of years, possibly) and that I happened to come into completion during this time as a human being.
As for what I think the fragments were originally from, certain innate and apparently non-human behaviors of mine come from Asteroi, some kind of mammalian species, and at least two other types of extraterrestrial creatures, one being a large reptilian thing of some kind. There are other unaccounted for bits but none of them have been significant enough to point toward their origins.

I experience all of these fragments together - they all contribute to the whole that is "me". I do experience a kind of constant shifting between the variable dominance of certain fragments but none of them "turn off", so to speak. A similar mechanism is responsible for my feelings of shifting gender, as well.

As for the identifications of others, I have little opinion on the matter.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2009-12-30 23:14
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Nope, though I considered it possible for a while.
I didn't consider them different types then still, I called 'em "forms" even then I believe (if I recall correctly).

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-12-31 1:06
Find
Give Thanks
Terro
Gymnastics instructor and lifeguard
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I do identify as only having one kintype... as far as my beliefs on multiple kin types, it varies.

Given the loose definition of Otherkin as individuals indentifying as something Inhuman, it does not specify just one thing that is Inhuman or one type of creature other than Human, I see no reason that multiple kin types exists outside of the scope of Otherkin for any rational reason.

Given that many Otherkin do believe in or acknowledge the possibility of a cycle of reincarnations, and that one possible explanation for many Otherkin is that they were born as one thing, died and were reincarnated into a Human body, I see it as entirely possible for multiple Kin types to exist.

where I disagree with it is identical to what Shangrila said above... those who meditate for a week and come back with fantastic stories and tales of how they were a laundry list of kin types, these also often come equipped with royal blood, epic hero's tales, tragic love stories and things lifted from pop culture books and movies... As such I'm sure most of you reading this will agree that those people are met with disbelief whether they are identifying as multiple kin types, one kin type or none at all (yet somehow the extraordinarily epic stories still are told regardless).

The maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters.
-The Unit
2009-12-31 4:27
Find
Give Thanks
vampyre_smiles
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The body has an odd multiple system. I stay here mostly, the others all say they have their own forms elsewhere, in other worlds, but it seems like our mind space is connected. I'm not sure what I am. We call Solaith a Danpyr, which having been taken from the word for a mix between a human and a vampire, and that's the closest description to what Solaith's species is. Domah is a Nephilim, but somehow for a while he kept getting stuck on this side of the mind space. There are others. They don't come out much.

Since I'm the main front of this body, I'll give more info on that. I really have no clue what I am. I have phantom wings, or wing-like projections that act like energy collectors. They change shape at their own whim. Aside from that, I feel feline, though I think that's more personality or preference than my actual kin-type. I get along with cats and have a cat-like mindset, so of course my subconscious would portray me as a cat of some sort, although currently it has wings and three eyes.

[Image: 2mLJ.gif]
2009-12-31 8:40
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

While I can be considered multi-kin, I just identify with the kintype that has left the deepest impression on me in this life. It may be my most recent incarnation... or not... or a mix of things that accidentally got mushed together *shrugs*.

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2010-01-03 6:16
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I chose one, simply because I figure one's "kintype" to be the one most strongly identified with. I've *been* more things than just a shinoar. I remember the lifetimes to a small degree, and have some phantom holdovers from a non-shinoar lifetime... but as my Self does not say "This is ME" to those lifetimes... they are not my kintype. They're simply other lives I've been.
2010-01-03 6:20
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Terro Wrote:...laundry list of kin types, these also often come equipped with royal blood, epic hero's tales, tragic love stories and things lifted from pop culture books and movies...

<Off Topic>

I often make fun of one of past incarnations as a poor Russian farmer a couple hundred miles outside of Moscow. One day I entered what I thought was the name of my kintype into Google Maps. Well, wouldn't ya know... a farm town a couple hundred miles outside of Moscow. Granted, it was southeast rather than southwest, but it certainly has my mental gears churning.

Moral of the story: sometimes the seemingly insignificant and non-glamorous things are worth knowing

</Off Topic>

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2010-01-03 7:03
Find
Give Thanks