Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manga Series?
Rain
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Manga Series?
Ok, I separated manga series from books because, really, it's being given a chapter one at a time for an *extremely* long amount of time, with artwork. Therefore, the time spans of "reading" a manga series can range from half an hour to, in some cases, years. >_>

What manga series are you currently reading or have finished, and what are your thoughts on it? Maybe we can even keep a comprehensive list by editing our posts (hopeful).

First and foremost (the reason I made this topic) is Yu Yu Hakusho finally came to a close... T__T
It didn't even end in a satisfying way, it just... ended.

T____T

-sigh- I really do think that I shouldn't read manga like this. When I come to the end of the series, I feel like a good friend has died... and Yu Yu was quite dear, indeed. ._.

Though I did enjoy the ending match-up... somehow... (-_-;Wink Not what I expected, but it's still satisfying.

Hehe, I feel like a fangirl -^o^-

__
A good one was "Parasyte". I found the storyline rather good, as well as the ending itself. [shounen]
"Hentai Kamen" was surprisingly very good! (perverted humor, though, but not as bad as its title would suggest) [shounen]
Paradise Kiss also receives my recommendation. [shoujo]

Currently Reading... well... the usual...
One Piece [shounen]
Naruto [shounen]
Bleach [shounen]
Negima! [shounen]
Air Gear [shounen...]
Skip Beat [shoujo]
Hellsing [shounen]

as well as

Rhysmyth (I wish they would come out with more FASTER) [shounen? Maybe]
Hayate the Combat Butler (somewhat...) [shounen]
Cantarella (the main character looks and acts surprisingly a lot like me...) [Seems a mix, to me... probably more shoujo]
Chocolat (somewhat, rather good though) [shoujo]
Crimson Hero (I like this =P) [I say shoujo]
Prince of Tennis (Haha, I like this, too) [shounen]
After School Nightmare (in stasis, though) [hybrid]

Things I wish I was reading :

Detective Conan [hmmm...]
Dragonball (the original, not Z or GT) [shounen]
Zatch Bell [shounen?]
Shaman King [shounen?]
Aoi House [no clue]
Petshop of Horrors [no clue]

Things I used to read but kind of stopped :
Fruits Basket [shoujo] (Just... lost interest)

~~~
2008-11-28 7:39
Find
Give Thanks
momo
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Manga Series?
I read books one and two of Fruits Basket, and it seemed pretty good.

I've read Tokyo Mew Mew [mahou-shoujo] which is good if you liked Sailor Moon. If you haven't read Sailor Moon or aren't familiar with it - it's basically a bunch of teenage girls in costumes fighting the evil.

I've also read books one to three of Keroro Gunsou [shounen]. It's not too bad but I preferred the anime.

Elfen Lied [seinen/psychological/horror] is very good as well and so is the anime, but it has mature humour, gore, nudity, and quite distressing themes so I wouldn't recommend it for younger readers.

Full Moon wo Sagashite [shoujo] is very touching, and the art is beautiful.

~ Lishie

Thanks to Elinox for the banner!
[Image: momobanner2ok0.png]
Fear the Lishie, Blake and Rizumu.
2008-11-28 11:11
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The only things that I can think of right now for this list are the Shonen Jump mangas, Air Gear, and Gin Tama. I read Fruit's Basket (more or less because my sister gets them), I've read through Aoi House... Can't really think of anything else right now...

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-11-28 14:52
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Gravitation: So cute, though annoying later in the series

Demon Diary: Awesome! **WHY DON'T YOU KISS HIM ALREADY??????** thought that floated through my mind the whole time

Fake: Really good and really sweet with seriousness thrown in

**I bet your sensing a theme in our manga, lol**

Petshop of Horrors: This one is really good and really well drawn. The interaction between the characters is amazing.

Currently reading Hellsing and Angel Sanctuary and Vampire Hunter D

--Gabriel/Sarah *blurry*

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-11-28 15:38
Find
Give Thanks
Rain
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Deros Wrote:The only things that I can think of right now for this list are the Shonen Jump mangas, Air Gear, and Gin Tama. I read Fruit's Basket (more or less because my sister gets them), I've read through Aoi House... Can't really think of anything else right now...

Aoi House! I forgot about that! (adds to the list of wants to read...)

Oh? I'd had a friend who had read Petshop of Horrors, but I didn't know if it was any good, as her taste is... questionable. I suppose I'll have to check into it, myself, then.

~~~
2008-11-28 19:04
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

I know this will be incomplete; I'm just going on memory. We'll fill in more later. -Cai

Finished:
Revolutionary Girl Utena [shojo]: The anime is much better. Also, don't read it before finishing the anime, because it gives away some of the surprises with much less build-up; we were disappointed.
Battle Angel Alita [action/drama]: One of our favorites.
Ghost in the Shell [action/psychodrama]: Another of our favorites.
Ghost in the Shell 1.5 [action/mystery]: A must for anyone who likes the GitS: Stand Alone Complex anime, which we also recommend.
Ghost in the Shell 2 [action/psychodrama]: Still confused, but we found it worth reading.
Magic Knights Rayearth [shojo]: Liked it at the time, but not interested in this type of thing anymore.

In Progress:
Battle Angel Alita: Last Order [action/drama]: Awesome.
Hellsing [horror/action]: Just read #9 and our jaw dropped. So much goodness. The original Hellsing anime is too short and confusing but we highly recommend Hellsing Ultimate, which has been very true to the manga so far.

Stopped:
Petshop of Horrors [psychodrama]: Great series of nearly stand-alone morality plays with believable characters. We plan to go back to it, but are focusing on the above 2 current series for now. It's easy to go back to this one after stopping for a while, because of the format.
Appleseed [speculative futurism?]: Shirow stopped writing it for the time being. We await #5.
Aqua Knight [fantasy]: Kishiro stopped writing it for the time being. Not sure if we'll go back; it's been a long time since we read it and we'd have to reread to see if we're still interested.
X/1999 [apocalyptic sentai drama]: Very complicated and hard to keep track of all the characters, let alone anything else. Maybe when we're ready to make the commitment again...
Sailor Moon [shojo]: Not interested in this type of comic anymore.
Love Hina [harem]: Not interested in this type of comic anymore.
DearS [shojo?]: Not interested in this type of comic anymore.
Chobits [shojo]: Not interested in this type of comic anymore.
Ragnarok [fantasy adventure]: Started it for the lulz - so wrong in terms of the original mythology - but can't stand it enough to finish.
Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok [fantasy]: Cute, in that Brat-Halla kind of way. We'd start it again, but got derailed by other interests.

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2008-11-28 19:28
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Marrik Wrote:
Deros Wrote:The only things that I can think of right now for this list are the Shonen Jump mangas, Air Gear, and Gin Tama. I read Fruit's Basket (more or less because my sister gets them), I've read through Aoi House... Can't really think of anything else right now...

Aoi House! I forgot about that! (adds to the list of wants to read...)

Oh? I'd had a friend who had read Petshop of Horrors, but I didn't know if it was any good, as her taste is... questionable. I suppose I'll have to check into it, myself, then.

House Hesson seemed to like Petshop of Horrors, too.

^_^

another one--though not a series--:

Lost Boys: a story based off of Peter Pan, but there's no Wendy or her brothers. There's just a man who's lost, but is found by an endearing boy (Peter Pan). Really sweet story to read.

--Shang

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-11-29 1:47
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

*gasp* a fellow YYH lover!!!You're my new best friend now.
Though I much prefer the anime to the manga, mostly for art reasons. I've read the manga, but it doesn't resonate with me as well. Either way, anything Kurama I can get my hands on, I take (my room is plastered with yyh stuff...and even my icon has Atsuko in it). Hell, I'm even getting all the figurines that just came out.

As for the lists, the ones I like are:
~Saiyuki (taking FOREVER...I hope it's not going to just trail off like Inuyasha, but I love it all the same)
~Negima (hilarious HP and sex jokes)
~Godchild (probably the only emo comic I actually sorta like...the art is pretty)
~Hana-Kimi (funny, cute, ends nicely, and artwork is gorgeous)
~Sorcerer Hunters (fantasy spoof basically, really funny)
~Yotsuba (OMG SO CUTE!! Hilarious too, enough jokes for the older peeps while still being fine for kids)
~Pet Shop of Horrors (both the original and the Tokyo series)
~Gravitation (I even have the hardcore version....)
~Rurouni Kenshin (even though it didn't end nicely in my opinion [where's the damn kiss b/t Kenshin and Kaoru???] I still love the rest of the story)
~Azumanga Daioh (who doesn't love it?)
~Hellsing. I'm only up to 5 but it's great so far.

Ones I dislike:
~Anything from Yu Watase. Artwork is too stiff and the drama (especially Fushigi Yugi and Zettai Kareshi) got really old really fast. Imadoki is the only thing from her I actually liked.
~Boys over Flowers. I'd rather watch the live action series over the manga and anime anytime, at least the people are pleasant to look at. Art sucks, and the storyline isn't good enough to make up for the art.
~Fruits Basket. I still want to jump in and smack every single damn character in that book. And art sucks as well.
~Inuyasha....the story that never ends. Ugh.
~Naruto. Nuff said.
~Sailor Moon. Overdone, and excessive. The anime is even worse, her voice just grates in my mind.
~Most anything from CLAMP. Art gives me a headache and I never understand the storylines. Chobits is the only one I've liked from them.

I'm sure there's more, and if we throw anime in then there's WAY more, but I can't think of any more. I gave away the ones I've disliked that I also owned a while ago.
2008-12-03 2:32
Give Thanks
Rain
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Oh, dang, I forgot all about Yotsuba! That's got to be the absolute best thing in the world -- it brings to me a very special feeling =^o^=

And, yes, I also thought the YYH art was a little... erm... crappy near the end.

And... yes... Inuyasha never ends... ever...

I think they even had a sidestory where they actually killed Naraku and everything was happy again.

Ya, a sidestory... which means it never actually happened =P.

~~~
2008-12-03 3:18
Find
Give Thanks
Nameless
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Lambent of the Lamb is an excellent drama manga series with a different take on vampirism that I greatly enjoyed. I recommend it highly.
2009-02-02 15:54
Find
Give Thanks