Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loosing Yourself
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Loosing Yourself
This topic was discussed on the Werelist and I thought it might be an interesting topic here as well.

How would you feel if you suddenly woke up and did not feel that non-human part of yourself any more? If you were suddenly not Otherkin? This isn't to discuss whether or not it's possible, or even why it would happen, it's simply how you would react to this situation.

Would you be thrilled to be "normal" again? Would you be crushed? Would you just go on with your life? How do you think you would react if you were suddenly not Otherkin?

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-10-21 15:27
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Loosing Yourself
That's a good question. I think part of me would be relieved and part of me would me disappointed. While I think being "normal" would be a lot easier than being otherkin in many respects, I'd never choose to lose that other part of me, but if I did for whatever reason I think I'd be disappointed but almost relieved. I wouldn't have to question my sanity anymore.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-10-21 16:00
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I'd probably panic. The times when I've been the most 'human' in the past were also the times when I've been the most depressed.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-10-21 17:42
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

i think i would have to learn how to live again. there's so many things i do without thinking about it, just out of chaos, feeling... even my programming has a chaotic style. i guess my interests would shift too... so yes, it would change my life, though not fundamentally.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-10-21 23:14
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'd be shocked. Without being kin, I don't think that I would be fully me, and I quite like me. And so I think I'd start deluded myself into the belief(assuming I'm not already).

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-10-22 0:13
Find
Give Thanks
Malakoi
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I would probably shout "I'm normal!" from the rooftops with glee. Few things would make me happier.

[Image: malakoi2.png]
2008-10-22 1:16
Find
Give Thanks
RosaleenBan
Fly on the wall
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I don't think I'd react much. I might not even notice at first - there are days when I forget about being 'kin altogether, to be honest. It just gets shoved to the back of my mind with everything else I have to deal with.

I'd probably meditate on it once I noticed, thinking that it was just stress, or exhaustion, or something else.

And if I found that I still didn't feel like myself - I think then I'd be sad. And just a bit lost, and empty.
2008-10-22 1:29
Find
Give Thanks
Chris
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Yeah, I wouldn't react much either. I'm still me at the end of the day, nothing else.
2008-10-22 9:09
Find
Give Thanks
Shailla
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Not much reaction here either.

"Oh look I have wings on my back!"
"So.., does it mean you can fly?"
"I- I don't know.."
2008-10-22 13:10
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

These responses are very interesting to read, thank you. And it's interesting to note that on the Werelist, the primary responses were that people would feel lost and depressed. A few people even commented that they would consider commiting suicide. I find it interesting that the primary response here is the feeling of being lost but then moving on with your life conclusion. A few of you even said you'd be happy at finding out you weren't Otherkin. Anyone have an idea why Otherkin would simply move on with their lives while therians would be so depressed and crushed at finding out they're simply human?

My own response from the Werelist: I'm not sure how I would react. On the one hand it's a very important part of my identity. On the other hand, there is no proof of therianthropy (or being Otherkin) existing so we could all just be crazy anyway. It would upset me but it's not the only important thing to me as a person so I wouldn't be driven to an extreme like killing myself. If it was proven beyond a doubt that I wasn't a therian, I'd be upset, but I think I'd eventually accept it because there would be nothing else to do. If it's not true for me, wishing it was won't make it true. I would feel like I'd lost a part of myself and that would be hard to accept but I think I'd eventually just accept it and move on. I think I'd also be upset that I would have been lying to myself and other people. I might even feel ashamed at jumping to conclusions and claiming something I'm not. Also, even if I wasn't a wolf, wolves would still hold a special place in my heart and I'd still feel a close connection to them.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2008-10-22 14:05
Find
Give Thanks