Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Language.
lemur
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Language.
I was wondering, do you have any recollections of ever using a demon-specific language? I know some dragons seem to, and I was wondering if demons did, too, or if not having such a huge sense of community if there was one at all (or if specific types had specific languages, etc). Or if being in such close contact with many aspects of human culture if they used any human language, just with variations. A person I know believes ALL demons speak Latin, but I don't think they do... there are just so many types of demons and I suppose many would have already been around before Latin even existed.

Thanks!
2008-04-18 9:47
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Language.
Yes, there are older languages than Latin that demons would have been likely to use. One of these (which seems likely for the chaotic blob description of demon) is direct transfer of thoughts. A little younger than that is a language the I alternatively call "Gibberish" or "Olde". Not sure if anyone still speaks it, though.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-04-18 11:53
Find
Give Thanks
lemur
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Deros Wrote:Yes, there are older languages than Latin that demons would have been likely to use. One of these (which seems likely for the chaotic blob description of demon) is direct transfer of thoughts. A little younger than that is a language the I alternatively call "Gibberish" or "Olde". Not sure if anyone still speaks it, though.

Oh, I actually just remembered someone mentioning that because of them being more used to the direct transfer of thoughts, they weren't very good with explaining things. Thank you! I knew there was no way they'd only use Latin to communicate...
2008-04-18 12:42
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

On a random note, I wanted to learn Latin just so I could pull the whole "speaking in tongues creep the crap out of people" thing.

And that's it. None of this, "I knew subconsciously how to speak it" stuff.

My language, if you can call it that, was, like Deros mentioned, a direct transfer of thoughts/sensation/emotion/energy.

And I've never heard of "olde," and "gibberish" is babble according to most people. I never knew it was an actual language. o.O

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-04-18 20:02
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

simim23 Wrote:And I've never heard of "olde," and "gibberish" is babble according to most people. I never knew it was an actual language. o.O

Yeah, my rough knowledge of it is completely useless. And calling it "gibberish" is an old joke of mine, since I made it into the native language in one of my stories. The setting was a planet called Gibber. All the gibberians spoke gibberish. (It's not Ha Ha funny, and it's not Uh Oh funny. It's Huh? funny)

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-04-18 21:20
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

direct transfer of thoughts. why bother with words?

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-04-20 16:24
Find
Give Thanks
Spanky
Currently job-hunting
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'm not sure what it is I speak. I only know what I'm saying while I'm "in the moment"...and it comes out almost like random syllables. It's hard to spell any of the words, or tell where the word separations are, so it makes trying to consciously learn it difficult.

EDIT: Points to Simim for the speaking in tongues thing...but I think an unintelligible garble would sound better, just in case there's any Latin-speakers present ^_^

Oh, I had this BS spanish teacher who preached about God during class and claimed he could interpret tongues as his "gift from God." But when I tried to get him to interpret my demon language he changed the subject. I guess that rules out God's language. XD
2008-06-09 16:58
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

kahoku Wrote:direct transfer of thoughts. why bother with words?

Or as I describe it, selective directed empathy.

Re the origin of the term gibberish, as per Wikipedia:

"The term is first seen in English in the early 16th century. There are two common theories of origin for the term "gibberish". One says that the basis is in the old word "gibber" which is allied to "jabber". However, the use of "gibberish" is recorded before the use of "gibber", which weakens this theory. A second explanation says the word comes from the name of the eighth-century alchemist Jaber ibn Hayyan, who invented a strange terminology so that his works could not be understood by others, thus protecting himself against charges of heresy."

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-06-09 17:22
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Spanky Wrote:I'm not sure what it is I speak. I only know what I'm saying while I'm "in the moment"...and it comes out almost like random syllables. It's hard to spell any of the words, or tell where the word separations are, so it makes trying to consciously learn it difficult.

EDIT: Points to Simim for the speaking in tongues thing...but I think an unintelligible garble would sound better, just in case there's any Latin-speakers present ^_^

Oh, I had this BS spanish teacher who preached about God during class and claimed he could interpret tongues as his "gift from God." But when I tried to get him to interpret my demon language he changed the subject. I guess that rules out God's language. XD

*perks up* Your language resembles Latin?

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2008-06-10 2:01
Find
Give Thanks
Kreyas
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Well, I recently had the epiphany (my epiphanies tend to highlight the obvious, unfortunately) that the language of my kintype is essentially a series of sigils. A "sentence" is typically two words. However each "word" can be translated literally to a word - but the concept and emotion behind each word is very deep practically conveying the etymology of the word among my kintype. Of course, it makes sense for a militant kintype that works in small groups to have a highly efficient method of communication that can quickly relay complex ideas with very little actual verbal/written communication.

Co-host of the Pagan Centered Podcast.
2008-06-10 2:04
Find
Give Thanks