Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image Triggers
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Image Triggers
Earlier today I had a weird experience. During precalc I was looking at the caribou symbol on my coffee, and suddenly had a shift into one (mental shift I guess? It was inside my body at least). It was pretty strong, and left me a bit lightheaded afterwards, but it was an interesting sensation. This lasted for a few minutes.

Have pictures and symbols of an animal triggered a shift into that particular animal? If yes, how easily do they make you shift, and how strong did the shifts feel?
2008-10-21 2:47
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Image Triggers
Pictures of animals don't do it unless I use one to concentrate enough to trigger a shift. However, pictures of certain types of natural places do it or visiting said places. Like pictures of ocean settings, mountains, a particularly vivid moon (especially when full) can trigger shifts, but they're usually either a slight shift in mental processes (I never have particularly vivid mental shifts, I'm like a partial conotherkin) or trigger stronger phantom limb sensations.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-10-21 3:11
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I've never had an unconcious shift. Sometimes, I see something that gives me a fun idea, but I've never simply shifted automatically that I can remember.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-10-21 3:33
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

For me, shifts are more based on emotions. So if a picture inspires just the right emotion in my at the time, that can lead to one. Though i have only had draconic shifts. If the picture that inspired me was something lie a sheep, my shift would put me in a hunting draconic mindset rather then whatever it is sheep think about.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-10-21 13:05
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I take it you were a bit bored in class, maybe sleepy, but trying to pay attention? With that mindset you'd be more open to entering a trance state than normal. Then you saw an image of an animal that resonates with you and tada!

Don't really have anything like that from animal pictures, though when a friend of mine posted pics of clouds he'd taken from an airplane I didn't really want to look at them for long. Made me homesick.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-10-21 17:35
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Motley Wrote:I take it you were a bit bored in class, maybe sleepy, but trying to pay attention? With that mindset you'd be more open to entering a trance state than normal. Then you saw an image of an animal that resonates with you and tada!

Don't really have anything like that from animal pictures, though when a friend of mine posted pics of clouds he'd taken from an airplane I didn't really want to look at them for long. Made me homesick.

Sleepy in a math class at 6 in the morning?? So unlikely!

Actually I had a shot of espresso in my coffee at the time, so I was feeling really relaxed (it's weird I know, but that's what happens to me). Though I've felt things before when looking at pictures, this was just the first time I've felt a full-blown shift sort of experience without forcing it. I am a predominantly visual person after all, so maybe it isn't that big of a surprise.

Though how would it be a trance state? I thought that would make the soul have an out-of-body experience?
2008-10-22 0:11
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

WhiteFox Wrote:Though how would it be a trance state? I thought that would make the soul have an out-of-body experience?

No, it just means that it was an out of the ordinary mode of consciousness. Trances can be light enough that no one looking at you would know the difference. Or heavy enough that you're basically paralyzed. Sometimes you can be in one and not even realize it. Like with hypnosis, those people would tell you nothing happened to them, but they don't usually go around barking like a chicken either. They're just in a relaxed but aware state of heightened suggestibility.

Edit: And what kind of an ungodly place thinks it's a good idea to teach math at 6 in the morning? No wonder!

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-10-23 5:24
Find
Give Thanks