Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How would you describe demon kin to someone unfamiliar with demons?
Rixem
In an Ongoing Existential Crisis
Kintype: Unsure
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick 

I've seen depictions of demons in movies, but that's about it. I grew up in an extremely religions world, but they don't believe in demons at all. I'm aware the Bible mentions demons, but I don't know what specifically it says about them.

This is a broad question, so some ideas:
What do demons look like?
How do demons behave (if applicable)?
Do demons have anything to do with angels or a deity? How so?

Also, any demon-kin attribute this to something other than a spiritual cause?

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-21 4:52
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

RE: How would you describe demon kin to someone unfamiliar with demons?
(2022-11-21 4:52)Rixem Wrote:  How would you describe demon kin to someone unfamiliar with demons?

That depends on the type of demon in question. Generally, demons tend to be non-conforming, rules-hating individuals with a penchant for doing what they want, when they want, and not caring about the rules. They're very individualistic and proud to be self-serving. They are not inherently evil though. Chaotic is not evil.

For example, hellhounds can be classified as a demon. Of the few I've met, they tend to be similar to canines in behavior, just with a preference towards chaos and being mischievous and preferring nighttime and darkness.

Although I'm not familiar with the Bible-version of demons besides Lucifer, but only generally.

Some demons are Bible/angelic-related, although not all of them are. In some world mythologies, 'demon' is just a term for 'mythological monster'.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2022-11-22 1:13
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-22 1:13)Elinox Wrote:  In some world mythologies, 'demon' is just a term for 'mythological monster'.

I didn't think about this. That leaves a lot of room for what qualifies as a demon. Sounds like there's a lot of overlap between demons & fae too.

(If anyone's curious what my PFP is, I had a dream I saw mother nature once & she looked like this.)
2022-11-22 6:11
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

(2022-11-22 6:11)Rixem Wrote:  
(2022-11-22 1:13)Elinox Wrote:  In some world mythologies, 'demon' is just a term for 'mythological monster'.

I didn't think about this. That leaves a lot of room for what qualifies as a demon. Sounds like there's a lot of overlap between demons & fae too.

Oh yes, absolutely! Keep in mind that in some flavors of old Christianity, fae were seen as "demons" because they weren't associated with the church and were not "of God" and so were therefore evil and demonic.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2022-11-22 16:34
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-22 16:34)Elinox Wrote:  
(2022-11-22 6:11)Rixem Wrote:  

Oh yes, absolutely! Keep in mind that in some flavors of old Christianity, fae were seen as "demons" because they weren't associated with the church and were not "of God" and so were therefore evil and demonic.

Makes sense

2022-11-22 17:19
Find
Give Thanks
Observant Demon
Fly on the wall
Kintype: Demonae
Otherkin: Unsure
Contribution: new

(2022-11-21 4:52)Rixem Wrote:  How would you describe demon kin to someone unfamiliar with demons?

I've seen depictions of demons in movies, but that's about it. I grew up in an extremely religions world, but they don't believe in demons at all. I'm aware the Bible mentions demons, but I don't know what specifically it says about them.

This is a broad question, so some ideas:
What do demons look like?
How do demons behave (if applicable)?
Do demons have anything to do with angels or a deity? How so?

Also, any demon-kin attribute this to something other than a spiritual cause?

Well, Demons can look like a wide variety of forms. If you will excuse my reference but I think of the animation 'Helluva Boss' and I think demons could look much like them too

As for behavior I think they are not all that different from human society in that they value freedoms and responsibility but at the same time they are not as soft on disruptive behavior and actions as humans.

Furthermore I do not subscribe to the idea that a race of beings is naturally 'evil' or malevolent; these are mindsets that are actively and deliberately chosen and not a natural state of being. That said I feel that some may be what we call 'amoral' in that they do have morals but they may not dovetail with ours; this is to say that some demon societies may not have a qualm about dealing with certain issues with a more...head-on approach.

In my intro post I stated that my definition of a demon does not rely on religious books or fantasy novels.

As for angels and demons, I really do not accept the polarized definition of such beings (not withstanding the fact that I am unsure if such beings even exist and if they do they probably do not fit into the narrow human view)

I drew my own avatar

Watch your thoughts, they become words.
Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
2022-11-28 3:25
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-28 3:25)Observant Demon Wrote:  Well, Demons can look like a wide variety of forms. If you will excuse my reference but I think of the animation 'Helluva Boss' and I think demons could look much like them too
Do you mean demons can look like literally anything? If not, what's a common physical trait they have?

(2022-11-28 3:25)Observant Demon Wrote:  As for behavior I think they are not all that different from human society in that they value freedoms and responsibility but at the same time they are not as soft on disruptive behavior and actions as humans.
Out of curiosity, what makes you think humans are soft on disruptive behavior? A lot of other cultures around the world are much more strict than in the west.

(2022-11-28 3:25)Observant Demon Wrote:  Furthermore I do not subscribe to the idea that a race of beings is naturally 'evil' or malevolent; these are mindsets that are actively and deliberately chosen and not a natural state of being.

Makes sense

(2022-11-28 3:25)Observant Demon Wrote:  In my intro post I stated that my definition of a demon does not rely on religious books or fantasy novels.
What do you base it on? Some other book or cultural idea of demons? Or just gut feeling? If it's gut feeling, how do you know you're thinking of demons & not something else?

(2022-11-28 3:25)Observant Demon Wrote:  As for angels and demons, I really do not accept the polarized definition of such beings (not withstanding the fact that I am unsure if such beings even exist and if they do they probably do not fit into the narrow human view)
If I'm understanding right, I think that's possible. Maybe all the unseen beings are the same "species", but it's diverse enough that they seem like different groups.

2022-11-28 4:26
Find
Give Thanks
Observant Demon
Fly on the wall

Since we really do not know what a demon actually looks like I think it is helpful to explore a variety of forms so in my view they can be humanoid, animal-like or even have the form of an element (like Calcifer from Howl's Moving Castle)

As for humans dealing with disruptive behavior, it simply seems to me that our justice system is rather unbalanced, favoring one over the other; punishing one with excessive imprisonment for a trivial offense while granting unwarranted leniency for vicious assaults. But I don't want to discuss the justice system here.

In my into post about demon definitions; since we do not know anything about them then how can we be so certain that they will follow the definitions laid out by religious books? Of course I could be thinking of other beings but then again how can we compartmentalize a race of beings into such a polarized manner.

To be honest, I think there are two basic types of demons; one is metaphorical meaning that they don't have a reality outside of ourselves and serve to represent all the aspects of our collective behavior that we don't like and thus we try to use these images to blame all our ills on, problem is that many tend to forget that these 'demons' are simply mental creations and use then to abdicate responsibility for bad actions.

THen there are the physical ones (assuming they exist of course) and herein lies the problem is that many cannot tell the difference between a physical demon and the metaphorical one and assume they are one of the same and think that the real one is out to deliberately cause harm.

In the end even our books seem to be a poor reference point when it comes to super-natural beings.
Sorry if I don't make sense...I am desperately low on coffee power.

I drew my own avatar

2022-11-28 16:09
Find
Give Thanks
Rixem

(2022-11-28 16:09)Observant Demon Wrote:  As for humans dealing with disruptive behavior, it simply seems to me that our justice system is rather unbalanced, favoring one over the other; punishing one with excessive imprisonment for a trivial offense while granting unwarranted leniency for vicious assaults. But I don't want to discuss the justice system here.

I see various government justice systems as a deferent thing than the general human population's tolerance of certain behavior. Do you mean that demons have an organized justice system (or maybe more than one)? I hadn't thought of demons as being cooperative/collaborative enough to have something like that.

(2022-11-28 16:09)Observant Demon Wrote:  In my into post about demon definitions; since we do not know anything about them then how can we be so certain that they will follow the definitions laid out by religious books? Of course I could be thinking of other beings but then again how can we compartmentalize a race of beings into such a polarized manner.

But if we don't know anything about them, how can we know they exist? I imagine they can't be exactly like humans, otherwise why differentiate them? Unless all sentient non-humans qualify as demons?

(2022-11-28 16:09)Observant Demon Wrote:  To be honest, I think there are two basic types of demons; one is metaphorical meaning that they don't have a reality outside of ourselves and serve to represent all the aspects of our collective behavior that we don't like and thus we try to use these images to blame all our ills on, problem is that many tend to forget that these 'demons' are simply mental creations and use then to abdicate responsibility for bad actions.

THen there are the physical ones (assuming they exist of course) and herein lies the problem is that many cannot tell the difference between a physical demon and the metaphorical one and assume they are one of the same and think that the real one is out to deliberately cause harm.

I get what you mean. I personally don't like to use the word "demons" to describe the metaphorical ones since the metaphorical ones are always negative in some way, yet most of the people who identify as demons say demons are not inherently bad.

(2022-11-28 16:09)Observant Demon Wrote:  In the end even our books seem to be a poor reference point when it comes to super-natural beings.
Sorry if I don't make sense...I am desperately low on coffee power.

No worries, it makes sense

2022-11-28 17:01
Find
Give Thanks
Observant Demon
Fly on the wall

You know, you brought up an excellent point about not knowing anything about demons. In essence we really don't know anything about all the other super-natural beings either but our books are devastatingly poor at defining them because we define them based on the human reaction on a emotional level.

THis does a terrible disservice to them just as our early definitions of wolves was horrid which led to the slaughter of thousands of them because people were convinced -based on the books they had- that they were child hunters and ruthless killers but sadly even to this day people still think this of wolves.

Anyway I digress, I suppose we have to make a concerted effort to make our own observations rather than letting a fear-filled book dictate our views.

I drew my own avatar

2022-11-28 18:04
Find
Give Thanks