Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you connect with your humanity?
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

How do you connect with your humanity?
I see topics everywhere on how people connect with their not so human parts, but nowhere do I see anyone talk about their human ones. It's like we are so consumed with what sets us apart that we lose sight of who we are right now. I can't tell you how many otherkin I've run into who either willingly reject their humanity or forget about it to the point where not connecting with that facet of themself is the problem. So!

Do you connect with your humanity? If so how do you connect with your humanity? If not, why not?

Personally, I spent years wallowing in not feeling human and ignoring the human parts of myself figuring that they would always feel wrong and I would always feel out of place. Then I found running and found that distance runs are an experience where I often feel myself just letting go and just being...and in doing so, I find that I feel more human. Possibly because true distance running is a very human thing, very very few animals other than humans can sustain running pace beyond short periods of time and short bursts of speed. There's a race every year in the Western U.S. that's humans vs. horses and humans always win. We are the ultimate distance runners...so distance running is what I do to connect with my humanity...and it has made me a much happier, healthier, and all around better person.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2013-04-04 15:56
Find
Give Thanks
Edge
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Re: How do you connect with your humanity?
I did the opposite. I rejected the non-human stuff. Turns out that just made it worse. What I did was decide that it didn't matter. If it's true, cool. If it's not, that's ok too. Either way, I'm currently in a human life with everything that comes with it. It also might be easier being a shapeshifter who prefers humanoid forms. After all, I just tell myself that I am currently in human form and that makes perfect sense to me (aside from the fact that shapeshifters can't exist). I mean, sure it sometimes feels off and I get a lot of phantom sensations, but instead of angsting about them, I decided to just go with it. Turns out it's a lot easier to deal with that way.
Besides, I can do a lot of things like go to university, become an awesome scientist, interact with the world, etc.

I'm the one with the power around here. -Rumplestiltskin
2013-04-07 5:39
Find
Give Thanks
Masnolu
Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I've always felt that I chose to come here. I'm not really sure why, but it just makes sense that being human is more of a 'curiosity' or possibly a kind of camouflage to allow me to get closer to humans without frightening them with my appearance. As such I generally find ways to link my kinness with humanity.

For instance I generally pursue games or quick, 'darty', sports like basketball, fencing, running, etc. I feel that this is likely because I'm some flavor of spirit/fae, who are notoriously energetic and playful. I also enjoy helping people and it's not uncommon for humans to warm up to me and share their problems with me. I don't always know what to do but I generally try to help out and more than once I've been called 'an old spirit' or 'wise beyond your years', so perhaps there's a chance they're picking up on something there.

Anyway, yeah, I usually try to combine my kinness with my humanness to live a more fluid life, and wouldn't ya know it, seems humans like having a familiar around when we don't look like Satan's girlfriend ;P
2013-12-12 3:05
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Masnolu Wrote:Anyway, yeah, I usually try to combine my kinness with my humanness to live a more fluid life, and wouldn't ya know it, seems humans like having a familiar around when we don't look like Satan's girlfriend ;P

I've been looking for you. I'll meet you at the crossroads in the graveyard at 3am tonight with my fiddle. Be fashionably late, dress sharp, and bring a goat.

Other than that, I'm simply agreeing with everyone on here. I connect with it, weirdly, because I've been seeing females in my social circles having babies and some primal maternal urge keeps popping up from both my animalistic and human sides.

So, yea. It's that biological clock bit, making itself known whether I want it to or not.

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2013-12-22 19:47
Find
Give Thanks