Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Do You Meditate?
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

How Do You Meditate?
I've heard people say that they prefer sitting down, laying down, walking around, while in the shower, just zoning out anywhere, etc. when they practice meditation.

I typically prefer laying down as then my body doesn't get cramped from being in the same position for awhile. However, since I'm currently in a one bedroom apartment, I usually lay down on our bed. And since it's so comfortable, I tend to just fall asleep. I've been wondering if trying a different type of position/activity would help me with meditation.

So, how do you meditate?

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-02-25 15:13
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: How Do You Meditate?
I meditate while lying down in my bed, which is probably not the best idea. I lay down in a certain position that is not the same one I sleep in, and I'm just used to not falling asleep while doing it. If I'm that tired, I should try another time. The reason that I say it's not the best idea is because I've trained myself not to fall asleep that way, so it may contribute to insomnia. As a 'do as I say, not as I do,' I'd say you should meditate somewhere other than your own bed.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-02-25 17:04
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Meditation =/= zoning out.

I sit, and focus on my breath.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-02-25 21:00
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

If I'm outside I focus on the sounds around me, if I'm indoors I usually listen to Carlos Nakai. Basically I sit or lay down (not on my bed, usually if you lay down in a place you normally sleep, you're body will take the cue to sleep), relax, breathe deeply and slowly, and just go wherever it is my subconscious takes me.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2009-02-25 21:33
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Miniar Wrote:Meditation =/= zoning out.

I'm taking that to be a "does not equal" zoning out, right? I've read that simply allowing the mind to wander works for some people to get them to that meditation state of mind. I've never tried it, but maybe it works for some people? *shrug*

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-02-25 21:46
Find
Give Thanks
Unregistered
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I move around instead. Bit of music or dancing, knitting, even doing dishes.

But kneading clay is my most favorite way to do this.
2009-02-25 21:51
Give Thanks
Selana
Feral Classicist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I lie face down, flat, road-kill style on my bed. What I do involves visualisation in the beginning: I always visualise going to the same place and I will visit a feature of it depending on what I want to focus on. Falling asleep is always a threat, so I am going to try lying on the floor on my back.
2009-02-26 14:55
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I lie down where I can (occassionally my bed) with my legs crossed. Although the best results I've ever gotten in that was simply when I was tired but willing myself not to fall asleep. I just go into an in-between state that's... very interesting.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2009-02-26 15:23
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Elinox Wrote:

I'm taking that to be a "does not equal" zoning out, right? I've read that simply allowing the mind to wander works for some people to get them to that meditation state of mind. I've never tried it, but maybe it works for some people? *shrug*

The problem with that is that one of the aims of meditation is conscious control over your mind. Not to allow it to do whatever it wants.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-02-26 21:51
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Miniar Wrote:
Elinox Wrote:

The problem with that is that one of the aims of meditation is conscious control over your mind. Not to allow it to do whatever it wants.

Sitting back and passively observing what the mind does is a form of meditation. The trick is to observe without getting tied up in what it's doing.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2009-02-27 0:40
Find
Give Thanks