Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guardian Angels
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Guardian Angels
Since being on the boards, I haven't heard anything about Guardian Angels or anyone being one so I have some questions regarding them:

1)Why do you think that is?
2)Did you know any?
3)Do you think they exist?

--Sarah

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-11-09 4:31
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Guardian Angels
I'm going to answer my own questions now despite me not being an angel or celestial:

1)They may not have had a reason to incarnate into a human.
2)--
3) Yes, I think they exist. I saw them once when I was a child and in ICU. I had told my mom that each child in the hospital room had two guardian angels by their bedside. (I didn't know of this until recently, when we were discussing my past.)

--Sarah

2008-11-09 4:34
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Val copypastas our post from TFW:

*waves*

Of course, this isn't a permanent job for Ali and me - it's more like "oh hay, go watch these ones and teach 'em a few things, then it'll be time to do something else."

Given the lack of self-professed guardian angels we've seen in the Otherkin community, I have to wonder if any such actual guardians out there are the same type of being as those who generally identify as angels. Maybe they/we are more often spirit guides and the like, but the Abrahamic majority doesn't know what to call us besides angels.

-Nihil

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2008-11-09 5:36
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

there aren't only guardian angels, but... guardian entities? i know of guardian demons, guardian celestials, and even guardian dragons. then again, i don't think it's a special type but a profession in most cases. you weren't born/made to be a guardian but chose to be one (perhaps for a certain amount of time).

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-11-09 12:38
Find
Give Thanks
Selcar
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

For me, it depends on usage and definitions I think - the traditional sense of an angel created and assigned by a higher power to watch over and protect you seems unreasonable to me. Both in that it assumes that either that higher power watches over everyone or that it/he/she/them finds certain people to be of more or less value than another. It seems logisically impatical to assign a metaphysical entity to watch out for the well being of a physical entity - especially since the metaphyiscal entity can surely error as well, why not just make the physical entity better at protecting itself? Further, there's something to be said about being able to go through trials on one's own, over protection can make one inable to act on their own.

Now, if we're speaking of a personality archetype, a being that decides to act as a guardian for another, I would say that that personality type is quite plentiful in the otherkin community - it just doesn't come up in forum disscussion often.

"Justice, like lightning, should appear, to few men's ruin but to all men's fear."

[Image: Selcar.jpg]
2008-11-09 13:18
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Thanks for the answers and I like all of them.

We use the term "guardian angel" because it stays on our tongue better, though Gabriel identifies as a guardian celestial (and he says it was his "full-time job" [to use Nihil's words]). I agree that spirit guides may be guardian angels, who's to say that they all have to be humanoid?

I think guardian angels/spirit guides are there to just give subtle hints to the person and just give a prod in the right direction, but then just let the person go on.

--Sarah

2008-11-09 14:04
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Selcar Wrote:Now, if we're speaking of a personality archetype, a being that decides to act as a guardian for another, I would say that that personality type is quite plentiful in the otherkin community - it just doesn't come up in forum disscussion often.

*raises hand* familiar/companion/guardian here... even though i wasn't "created" for it. besides, i'm a demon not an angel.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-11-09 14:56
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Not me. I'm more likely to guard a territory than an individual. Not that I don't take care of individuals, it's just not my main focus. Even in this life, my magical practice is often geared towards the health and well-being of my city.

I agree that guardian angels aren't all 'angels' as we think of them. Guardian spirits more like. But I guess if you're a Christian, every beneficial nonhuman spirit is referred to as an angel. A guardian might be a spirit guide, or an ancestor spirit, or a thought form created by your parents, heck even a parasite (or symbiote) that wants its food to stay healthy.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-11-09 17:17
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

I think guardian angel is something of a misnomer given the meaning of angel...messenger. Protecting isn't exactly delivering a message though I get why people use the term. Guardian celestial just doesn't have the same ring to it. Anyway, I know guardian entities of many things. There are guardians who watch over certain races, individuals, elements, planes, balance in general (raises hand). Some are celestials some, as 'hoku pointed out, are not. So I do believe that guardians exist in many forms.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2008-11-09 17:31
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Ive met a few angel kin down here that felt they might have been guardians. Though my assumption as to the lack of them here is split between then being to busy guarding something to incarnate, them not being awakened and/or not being apart of the online community (or just on a different forum than this one).

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-11-11 16:31
Find
Give Thanks