Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glamourbombing
jarandhel
Home Health Aid
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Glamourbombing
Been thinking a lot about glamourbombing lately. I've never been a big fan of how it's commonly practiced in the community, I largely agree with Rialian's old essay on the subject in which he states "It is a flash in the pan, a quick burst of sparkle, that the "average" mind forgets or associates with something else. It is not making something enduring. It is not opening gates to the Otherworld, and making the environment better."

Thing is, I've recently found that doesn't have to be the case. I've been exposed to the work of the Marauder Underground with the Ellis sigil, for instance, and I've been very impressed. They've written things on the subject of real, effective glamourbombing that I haven't seen done by the otherkin community in the entire time I've been part of it (starting May 1, 1999).

Because of this exposure, I wrote my own essay on effective glamourbombing: The Death and Rebirth of Glamourbombing.

So far, I've only gotten a few reactions on the LJ glamourbombing community and on tumblr. So, I thought I'd post here and see what people's reactions were.

[Image: Wikibanner.png]
2013-04-22 22:01
Find
Give Thanks
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Glamourbombing
Do you have a link to the Marauder Underground? When I Googled it, I got a link that looked like a cult whose intent is to introduce chaos to society. And upon reading your comment on the LJ you linked too...seems to be the same website. But I want to make sure before I make any absolute judgments for myself.

How are you defining glamourbombing though? Are you using it to mean random acts of beauty intent to introduce magic into the more mundane world? Things like leaving little snippets of poetry on pennies in courtyards or putting glitter on a rock in order to bring some small amount of wonder to a passerby? Or are you referring to calling up spirits to mess with mundane people?

Without further researching their website though, my thoughts on glamourbombing are that if it makes someone happy to do it and is harmless, then go for it. But I don't think forcing magical things onto other people is right as there's no consent and how do you know the originator of the magic has truly 'good' intentions in mind in the first place. Doing magic is fine for a general good purpose, but doing it with the specific intent just to mess with people who may not be sensitive to is isn't in my mind.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2013-04-23 13:03
Find
Give Thanks