Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General consensus on...
zilchy
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

General consensus on...
Black magick. What do you all think?

Personally, I say do it. The threefold rule is like training wheels, it only applies if you need it to (read, if you don't know what you're doing).
2008-02-25 12:29
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: General consensus on...
What exactly qualifies as black magic? I use dark energy pretty often, but that's just a part of life, same as every other type of passive energy.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-02-25 12:39
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I do not comprehend this colour coding of the magics. I see do difference between black or white, magic is magic, the difference is in intent.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-02-25 12:48
Find
Give Thanks
Rein
Nuisance
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The colors just refer to different levels of intent, Freetha. White Magic is magic typically used with the intent to heal or seek enlightenment, while Black Magic is typically used with the intent to get what one wants or, famously, to do harm, though that's mainly a stereotype. "Grey" magic just refers to things that fall in between the two categories. That's how I understand it, anyways.

...Of course, I could also be horribly wrong. I need to go lurk on that one forum more....
2008-02-25 13:21
Find
Give Thanks
zilchy
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Kayako Wrote:The colors just refer to different levels of intent, Freetha. White Magic is magic typically used with the intent to heal or seek enlightenment, while Black Magic is typically used with the intent to get what one wants or, famously, to do harm, though that's mainly a stereotype. "Grey" magic just refers to things that fall in between the two categories. That's how I understand it, anyways.

...Of course, I could also be horribly wrong. I need to go lurk on that one forum more....

Nope, that's the most commonly used color-coding system.

So, magick with the intent to do harm or manipulate free will is "Black Magick" and an astonishingly small number of people in the magickal community understand that there needs to be duality between black/white.
This heavy-handed white lighty BS irritates me, so I wanted to know what you folks thought of black magick and whether or not the threefold rule applies.
2008-02-25 18:40
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Honestly, there's often a good reason to use manipulative magic. I have great respect to a friend of mine who asked her namesake (Kali) for the power to bind a man and prevent him from being able to do something that which he usually did. (Beat the crap out of his gf.)
I have no qualms with it.

I think the "three fold" rule applies to intent and personal reward in all things really. That it's a matter of considering the short term results vs. the long term results. That "magically" it won't affect you but if you go off and do X without considering all the ways it could be bad for you, you might end up doing it in a way that proves catastrophic for you.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-02-25 19:02
Find
Give Thanks
Xanthus
Computer Guy
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I think the 3-fold 'law' is just an over-codified version of general karmic beliefs. I mean, 'what goes around comes around' is a fairly wide-spread belief and many people can find good examples of it, but it's by now means (IMO) universal. There's plenty of horrible people who never get there come-uppance, and vice versa. Karmic proponents would cite that they'll get theirs in a later life (or afterlife), but that's debatable, as you can't really verify it.

In any case, I'm not sure who settled on 3x getting all your 'black magic' back, but it seems overharsh and violates laws of conservation of energy. I think it's enough to say that if you're a horrible person who violates people with your magic, there's a good chance "you'll get yours", but I really don't believe the "3-fold law" as it stands.

[Image: Xanthus.png]
LONG LIVE THE COMMUNITY!!!
2008-02-25 19:29
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I’m more with Xanthus on the 3 fold rule.
Weather you do ill with magic or threw amore physical means, you gets yours back in time. All a balancing act.

As for black magic, my initial thoughts on it are that it’s just another way of a means to their end. Aside from that, I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough on it rightly to come to any more outright conclusions./ Though speculate I shall.

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-02-25 20:08
Find
Give Thanks
zimmerchild
Medical Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

i'm a dark pagan, i believe there should be a balance. i do not believe in the 3 fold rule any longer. that is just silly in my opinion.

~Zola.

[Image: zimmerchildsig.png]
2008-02-25 22:06
Find
Give Thanks
BlissfulIsis
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

If it feels good, then do it! Magic is magic, if you are comfortable with doing something that may harm others, go ahead.

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
2008-02-25 22:08
Find
Give Thanks