Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gauging interest for new gather? (OR, WA, BC especially)
Arethinn
Grump
Kintype: Sidhe/Fae, Dragon
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution:

Gauging interest for new gather? (OR, WA, BC especially)
(I thought of posting this somewhere in Community but it's not really "Off Topic" and none of the other sub-boards seemed to suit; let me know where you'd prefer it if not here)

I have been pondering the idea of doing a gather up in southwestern Washington, since Company of Others only went off once and it seems there's a decent-sized otherkin population in the general area, so hopefully I might have more success than with MythiCalia - which is still going on September 23rd-26th, BTW. (For some reason unearthing 'kin in California is like pulling teeth and no one seems to have the desire or means to travel in from elsewhere, although unexpectedly I did get a ping from someone this year who was contemplating driving from Missouri.)

However, while I have means myself, it'd be a bit of a hassle and expense to travel if it turned out I could only get 5 people or something. So, I'm testing the waters. Proposed date is next summer, possibly July but more likely early August 2011. (Not conflicting with Faerieworlds in any event.) Hand/wing/appendage up, please, if you are around southwest WA or willing/able to travel there and would be sincerely interested in attending a 'kin gather in that location?

(I'm not asking for solid commitments here - I know few people can plan a year in advance. I mean "yeah, I'm interested, if there were one, I'd totally try to go" kind of thing.)

Formerly known as Eshari.
arethinn @ tumblr and Dreamwidth | shyfoxling @ DeviantArt
2010-08-04 21:25
Find
Give Thanks
zimmerchild
Medical Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Re: Gauging interest for new gather? (OR, WA, BC especially)
Sure, I'm interested. I currently live in Kitsap County, but have traveled as far as Portland, Oregon for events that I'm interested in. And even though I'm not otherkin (or I don't consider myself such) I would still love to meet up with some 'kin from around the area.

The only draw back I can see, is that I would want to bring my boyfriend, and he's not otherkin or vampire, and I haven't as of yet, fully exposed him to this.

~Zola.

[Image: zimmerchildsig.png]
2010-08-04 23:13
Find
Give Thanks
Arethinn
Grump
Contribution:

That's not, in theory, a problem. Last MythiCalia someone brought their non-kin (in fact, non-magical/mystical) boyfriend. I was worried he was bored the whole time, but it wasn't an issue for the other attendees and they paid their fees and all, so yeah.

2010-08-08 7:04
Find
Give Thanks
Arethinn
Grump
Contribution:

I got a pretty good initial response in the various places I posted this rumination, so I decided to go ahead with it. I'm pondering the name Feywood but that may change. (Opinions? It's a wooded setting, hence the idea.) It will take place Thurs-Sun, July 21-24, 2011. Just hold the date for now; signup probably won't start until next April or so. (Faery, sidhe, and elves especially wanted, as I have been a bit lonely at other west-coast events, seeming to be a minority or even unique!)

@Zimmerchild: I've been thinking about this a bit. I don't wish to be exclusionary, but it's awkward when there are people at gathers who don't really know what's going on and may not be able to really participate in "otherkinnish" stuff. I hate for them to feel left out, and at the same time it can subtly take away from the "safe space / magical environment" kind of thing. I also don't have a problem with vampires, but their interests and concerns tend to be different than "mythical" kin, same as it is for therians and weres. If you have a large enough group, the mix is fine - there's something for everyone. But in a small group (as these as yet tend to be; I still aspire to be Thresholds-like, but it hasn't happened yet!) when you have a complete pick'n'mix where everyone is each a different type... well it gets a bit stilted for the not-strictly-otherkin.

tl;dr: I'm not going to say "no, you can't come" but it probably bears thought on whether you would get enough out of it to be worth the effort.

2010-08-10 0:16
Find
Give Thanks