Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foliage Help?
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Foliage Help?
I'm drawing a picture, but a problem occurs to me. How are leaves done? Individually, they're easy, but as a group I can't seem to get it right. Does anybody have any hints about this for me?

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-10-11 23:08
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Re: Foliage Help?
Hit me if I'm being too obvious, but have you tried photo reference for the specific plant?

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-10-12 1:36
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Well, I can see trees, but I don't pay attention to individual leaves, and I definitely don't want to draw individual leaves either.

I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-10-12 7:17
Find
Give Thanks
momo
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

If the trees are in the background of your piece (or are far away) try just shading around the branches, adding dark spots where the light source doesn't reach. If you're using paint, try dabbing different shades of green according to where your light source hits.

I'd also look at photo reference of trees for the specific layouts of the leaves, to see what looks most natural to your piece and what looks best.

Good luck!

~ Lishie

Thanks to Elinox for the banner!
[Image: momobanner2ok0.png]
Fear the Lishie, Blake and Rizumu.
2008-10-12 12:09
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Momo beat me to it.

I would also suggest looking at trees. It's not about looking at the individual leves but about looking at the pattern of colours, darkness and light, and see how the colour "flows".

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2008-10-12 12:39
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Thank you so much for the advice. I'll give it a shot.

2008-10-12 14:21
Find
Give Thanks
Motley
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Little dabs and shading does work. Also pay attention to the shape of the tree. Obviously a pine is not shaped the same as an apple tree or a weeping willow. Depending on the type of tree, don't forget to leave a few spaces that you can see through.

[Image: motleybanner2.png]
"I inherited the spirit of the sun. I'll meet you when the day breaks through. It's time to shine and make all your dreams come true. Come on, wish upon a dog star!" -Hybrid
2008-10-12 17:01
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
Kintype:
Otherkin:

For the actual picture referenced, what I did was I adopted a purposefully sloppy coloring style throughout the picture. The leaves, in the this case, were a swarm of forwards and backwards Cs, and the entire thing turned out fairly well, I thought.

2008-10-12 17:10
Find
Give Thanks