Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flight
Elinox
Professional Pirate
Kintype: Lupine & Feline
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Flight
Those of you who identify as something with wings (angels, celestials, bird therians, fae, dragons, etc.) do you remember or have you figured out how your critter uses flight? For example, did you use air currents to glide like a condor? Or were you more of a fast flapper with short rests like a sparrow? What type of flying did you use?

And for those of you 'kin types who don't have wings. If you suddenly sprouted wings, how do you think you'd use flight?

For me, I think I'd be more of a glider than a flapper.

[Image: sGaXcqG.png]
Banner by me. If you want one too, see here.

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, The Dresden Files
2009-11-13 16:57
Find
Give Thanks
Seraphyna
Administrator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick tick tick tick 

Re: Flight
For me the wings were symbolic. A blob of energy doesn't require wings to fly being able to just pop up anywhere they darn well please. From what I remember of gargoyles, it was more along the lines of large birds who do more gliding than flapping.

[Image: seraphyna11_zps47e1e313.png]
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."-Tolkien
"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream."-Poe
2009-11-13 18:21
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I usually just have wings when in full bird mode..
then I look like an owl...
but I'm not sure whether I ever mastered flight, I have no recollection of flight at least...
Being able to take the shape makes me want to use it though, but that may simply be a "yearning for freedom" type thing.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-11-13 19:12
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

The shinoar did a great deal of soaring, as well as relatively "slow" flaps.
2009-11-13 23:14
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I don't have wings, but if I did suddenly sprout them I imagine I'd use them according to their form (hard to gilide on thermals with hummingbird wings, I'd imagine).

The only shadow I personally know who appears with wings seems to have them as a kind of, hmmm, I want to say "psychosomatic" manifestation. In other words as far as I know he appears (to human eyes/minds/memories) in the form that suits him in terms of looks. Being an energy being, they were not required for flight and I don't think they acted as chakras/energy collectors.

Though now that I think about it I rather like the idea of something along the lines of "solar sales" - large, wing-like energy forms designed to trap and assimilate appropriate energy for feeding and such.

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2009-11-15 1:39
Find
Give Thanks
skorpio
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

I don't really use my wings for flight, I kinda float around rather than fly around.

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home."
- James Joyce
2009-11-22 21:59
Find
Give Thanks
Ausse
Artist, Student, Cook
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Hm, this is a rather interesting question, but I think I would have been more like a flying squirrel. Something of a glider, not a flier. c:
2009-11-23 10:31
Find
Give Thanks
vampyre_smiles
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

My wings in my energy body don't seem to be connected to any past life in particular, and they they don't seem to be for flight. They seem to change on their own whims but they also seem to store or at least capture energy. But in their current form, I'd say they'd be for gliding, as they are large compared to my body and relatively solid with enough flexibility to adjust for conditions. In the one form I knew I had wings, they were a little like a bat's so those would be for mostly flapping and some minor gliding.

[Image: 2mLJ.gif]
2009-11-25 5:51
Find
Give Thanks
Arethinn
Grump
Kintype: Sidhe/Fae, Dragon
Otherkin: Yes
Contribution:

Like Seraphyna, the wings I had were an energy form rather than a solid thing used to propel flight. It sounds silly, but we didn't actually fly that I recalled, although we could sort of hover and glide along above the ground.

Formerly known as Eshari.
arethinn @ tumblr and Dreamwidth | shyfoxling @ DeviantArt
2009-12-08 6:00
Find
Give Thanks
Jareth
New
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

My type has wings, but they aren't used for flight. I'm not too sure what they're used for; buzzing seems appropriate, but really I have no idea. My type, from what I can gather, hops rather than flies. Perhaps the wings are used to assist the hopping movement, but as far as I can tell, they aren't used for flight itself whatsoever.

You are not special.
2010-02-03 3:12
Find
Give Thanks