Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extinction, Relocation, or a possibly null and void
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Extinction, Relocation, or a possibly null and void
Sights and incidents concerning dragon related activities used to be all the rage in the past. The phrase and concept behind “Here Be Dragons” was a common addition to many a map as well as a local legends.
Sadly (in my opinion, at least) it’s become quite obvious that dragons lack much of a physical presence amongst the physical world.

Speculation wise, why might that be? Is it that dragons became extinct after a time, or have they moved on to another location? Or maybe, going against past documentation of encounters, they were never physically here at all?

While I believe that dragons are still about in a spiritual sense (I sort of consider myself living proof), what of the physical aspect?

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-01-16 14:12
Find
Give Thanks
Alynn'nari
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Re: Extinction, Relocation, or a possibly null and void
Well based on my memories as I was an earth bond dragon.

I think there was a human dragon war and well humans some how won.

Another factor is that one my ex brought up (he is dragonkin himself). he believed that the survivors of this war fled to dragon made plane. Which could be possible based on some dragons being powerful magically.
2008-01-16 14:23
Find
Give Thanks
BlissfulIsis
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

Like Tala'orin I have heard the theory about the dragon and human war (the version I heard was more like a magic vs human war). The other theory I have run across is that dragons and anything considered by humans to be magical (fairies, etc) co-exist with us, but on another plane. However they can make themselves present at any time.

The thing about dragons - regardless if they existed on this plane or not - is that they are deeply embedded in many cultures and traditions. So that even if they did not actually co-exist with humans the idea and spiritual feeling of being connected with a dragon will still exist.

I do agree, though, that there is no evidence - other than stories and paintings - that a dragon ever did exist on Earth. Since that is the case, do you have a theory about why a dragon would be reincarnated as a human?

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
2008-01-16 15:39
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

If we assume that dragons are energy-centered creatures, then it's entirely possible that they still exist in this world and always have. The reason why no one sees them anymore is merely because of the low atmospheric energy levels of the world today.

Alternatively, they may have simply left this dimension, although that explanation wouldn't be effective for why no remains are found.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-01-16 15:55
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Yay! One of the topics I love to discuss:

The following is based on a this-dimension earth. Parallel earths may be different, and may allow for other things, but all we have to go on currently is this one.

I will say first off that I also really dislike relying on legends. The human mind IS perfectly capable of making things up, or seeing fossils and thinking they looked like something because they don't know squat about basic anatomy.

I equally have yet to see anyone come through with claims of magic that can have large scale affects on the physical world. Thus.

Dragons: The potential for a physically real, earth-native creature

We run into our first problem immediately. Nowhere else on earth, currently extant or in the fossil record, do we find fully functional 6 limbed vertebrates. If dragons came from earth, they'd have *evolved* on earth. For something that supposedly diverse, we should have found fossils leading up to and including dragons.

Second is size issues. Earth follows certain logical rules concerning weight and wing-surface area. The largest flying creatures to have ever existed on this planet were the Questzalcoatlus pterosaur (40ft wingspan, 200lbs max) and the Giant Teratorn (25ft wingspan, 200lbs max. Flapping flight more efficient.) So... both these fliers averaged about 150lbs, with a max estimate of 200lbs.
Let's look at other creatures that weigh 200lbs. These would be things like... mastiffs. large kangaroos... Now, the average "dragon" we see in the community seems to be between 20 and 40 feet long. There is NO WAY a creature like that could use manual flight because the bones of a wing long enough would be unable to support the massive body weight. A thing that a lot of dragons seem to forget is that tails and wings+flight muscles are HEAVY. ;_; So thus, two marks big marks against most "I'm from this planet!" dragons.

There are other lesser ones that go into my anatomy pet peeves, but I'll leave those alone for the moment.

Here is how I think the dragons of earth legend came to be:

One: Otherkin or people spiritually aware who could have seen spiritual dragons.
Two: Fossils. Look at pterosaurs. They're pretty much a perfect fit for the idea of wyverns. And anyone who's played the telephone game can understand how easily a sentence of "It's arms were also wings" can turn into "it had arms and also wings". Thus we have the hexapodals.
Three: Extant creature conglomerations. Cyclops from elephant skulls. Eastern dragons from carp and crocodiles (just look at them!). Heck, many pictures of 'dragons' from europe look like funny crocodiles. Remember, these are the people who managed to turn *rhinos* into delicate deer-creatures.
2008-01-16 18:55
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

I don't believe that dragons as self-described existed physically on this planet.

However, as already noted, there were reptiles that could be mistaken or exaggerated into dragons.

Also, I have seen Fae in the guise of dragonflies and I recognized them by their energy. A glimpse of something more dragonlike, out of the corner of one's eye, or the play of light and shadow, could indicate the spiritual presence of a dragon cloaked in the physical form of something else.

-Val

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2008-01-17 1:22
Find
Give Thanks
Alynn'nari
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

The Garnet Host Wrote:I don't believe that dragons as self-described existed physically on this planet.

However, as already noted, there were reptiles that could be mistaken or exaggerated into dragons.

Also, I have seen Fae in the guise of dragonflies and I recognized them by their energy. A glimpse of something more dragonlike, out of the corner of one's eye, or the play of light and shadow, could indicate the spiritual presence of a dragon cloaked in the physical form of something else.

-Val

So do you call my memories false as a dragon? I recall living on earth as a song dragon and I know others that lived on earth.
2008-01-17 1:49
Find
Give Thanks
House Hesson
cat slave
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick 

Tala'orin Wrote:
The Garnet Host Wrote:I don't believe that dragons as self-described existed physically on this planet.

-Val

So do you call my memories false as a dragon? I recall living on earth as a song dragon and I know others that lived on earth.

No offense meant, but it would take fossils to convince me.

-Val

"All knowledge is worth having." -Phedre no Delaunay

"Everything has a price." -Jaenelle Angelline

"I think if you try, that's being your best." -Echo
2008-01-17 2:10
Find
Give Thanks
BlissfulIsis
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

The Garnet Host Wrote:
Tala'orin Wrote:
The Garnet Host Wrote:So do you call my memories false as a dragon? I recall living on earth as a song dragon and I know others that lived on earth.

No offense meant, but it would take fossils to convince me.

-Val

I agree, there would have to be some pretty hard evidence to prove to me that dragons did exist on Earth.

There is nothing more uncommon than common sense. Frank Lloyd Wright

Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet. Albert Einstein
2008-01-17 2:33
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Tala'orin Wrote:So do you call my memories false as a dragon? I recall living on earth as a song dragon and I know others that lived on earth.

How do you know it was *this* earth and not a parallel one that was so close that the only difference was in the ability for magic to affect existence enough for a creature with absolutely no potential biological relatives to exist? I know plenty of dragons that started off thinking it was *this* earth and over the years came to realise it was a parallel one.

And just because we don't believe that dragons existed physically on this planet that doesn't mean we are calling you a liar. Try to not be so automatically defensive. It makes you less likely to consider things and other peoples' points.
2008-01-17 3:08
Find
Give Thanks