Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Angels by Doreen Virtue
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Earth Angels by Doreen Virtue
I don't really know where to put this, so if it doesn't belong here, please move it.

Despite not wanting to post much anymore, I had to put this down:

How many of you have encountered this book and what do you think?

She has also written "Realms of the Earth Angels".

Personally, I don't care for it because of how it portrays everything...And according to the test in the beginning I am probably a Walk-In, which I'm not. I advise reading the book for entertainment purposes only.

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2009-03-17 17:10
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

Re: Earth Angels by Doreen Virtue
Doreen Virtue has published more books and "angel cards" than you could shake your fist at. Some of them have been where I've worked and I've flipped through earth angels before.

Honestly, all of her work gives off a greedy vibe to me and she contradicts herself left and right and her perpetual flip calendar has some rather "iffy" things in it. For instance Nov. 27th says "Every time you smile and feel happy, you are fulfilling God's will." which made me look at it for 20 minutes, then write it down, and contemplate it for longer, since it seems to suggest that even someone who feels the most "happy" while eviscerating 2 year olds and drinking their blood is "fulfilling god's will".. otherwise he wouldn't be happy.

"Virtue claims a Ph.D. in counseling psychology from California Coast University, which was not an accredited institution when Virtue attended, and has widely been considered a diploma mill."

I wouldn't put a lot of stock in any of her work.. but the cards are really pretty.

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-03-17 20:02
Find
Give Thanks
momo
Elephant in the room
Kintype:
Otherkin:

As this is a book discussion, Shang, I'm going to put it into the Media subforum. ^_~

~ Lishie

Thanks to Elinox for the banner!
[Image: momobanner2ok0.png]
Fear the Lishie, Blake and Rizumu.
2009-03-17 20:08
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Thank you ^_^

@Miniar: I just searched for how many books she wrote and my jaw nearly dropped. There's 3 or 4 pages worth on google's book site. I like what I've seen of the cards and the artwork on the front covers.

2009-03-17 21:19
Find
Give Thanks
Twilight
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I'm not too impressed with her work. Seems to make too many stereotypes that don't fit any angels I know.

[Image: twilightbanner.png]
I dare an agnostic to prove he or she exists.
2009-03-18 0:30
Find
Give Thanks
Salaiek
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

It's complete and utter fluff; a watered-down concept of Otherkin presented by a New-Age 'Whitelighter' ("all angels are good and all spirits want to help humanity, except the bad spirits"). According to the quiz, I'm a Starperson, Wise One, and Incarnated Elemental, in that order.

Pretty much anything that gives you a quiz and goes "if you picked this, this, and this, then you're this!" should only be read for entertainment purposes. Otherwise, you have a bunch of gullible people going around claiming to be reincarnated Atlantean scientists who were also burned at the stake for being witches and part elf, or something.
2009-03-18 1:57
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Salaiek Wrote:It's complete and utter fluff; a watered-down concept of Otherkin presented by a New-Age 'Whitelighter' ("all angels are good and all spirits want to help humanity, except the bad spirits"). According to the quiz, I'm a Starperson, Wise One, and Incarnated Elemental, in that order.

Pretty much anything that gives you a quiz and goes "if you picked this, this, and this, then you're this!" should only be read for entertainment purposes. Otherwise, you have a bunch of gullible people going around claiming to be reincarnated Atlantean scientists who were also burned at the stake for being witches and part elf, or something.

I should show this to someone, lol--she uses Doreen Virtue's books to base what she is...which is what led me to look at the books and giggle 'cause I'm a Walk-In according to her...but then every other thing is tied with 3 trues except for one which was 2.

2009-03-18 12:25
Find
Give Thanks
Valamezar
Condordancer, Bannsänger, professional Nurse, Remote Viewer and Trainer of it, Webadmin and Artist (Singer, Painter and Writer)
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Virtue is a person making money with this crap.

Last year I read her book, that Earthangels thing.

Obviously she wants to be seen as an Angel, but has much problems doing the proper Outing.

Fluffystuff.

If some people really see angels where others see only empty space, let them paint the angels. (John Ruskin, 1819 - 1900, english critic and writer)
2009-04-29 8:47
Find
Give Thanks
skorpio
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

*insane laughter for no apparent reason*

Sorry, after I heard Miniar's podcast (what ever happened to it?) it makes me think WTF and laugh at the same time.

"Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home."
- James Joyce
2009-07-30 23:43
Find
Give Thanks
Miniar
Artist
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

it's linked on here somewhere but in a pinch you can find it at miniar.podbean.com

[Image: Signiature.jpg]
"Those who can't approach discussion with a basic level of intelligence and maturity shouldn't expect to be taken seriously." ~ Qualia Soup
2009-07-31 12:13
Find
Give Thanks