Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dying in Your Dreams?
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Dying in Your Dreams?
Okay, this is just out of curiosity. I KNOW I can go look it up somewhere, etc., etc. I'm posting it up anyway.

Simply put: I have a LOT of dreams in which I die.

Me as in human me. I've had dreams where I die and then wake up, dreams where I die and feel the pain as I do so. I've been murdered in numerous ways, accidental deaths, committing suicide. Drowning, burning to death, etc.

Sometimes I die and then it flips to a 3rd person view and I see my corpse. Sometimes it's being eaten or mutilated, other times it's just there. Sometimes I'm still inside my body even after death, like I'm trapped. Sometimes, even, my body dies and then I find myself back to being the true me, unhindered by physical flesh.

Sometimes it isn't scary, sometimes it is.

Ok, these dreams... I have dreams like these ALMOST every night. I die, over and over again in multiple different ways and fashions. I dream about death more than any other thing(Flying being the second most, although I occasionally get dreams of death by flying, or flying as a ghost, etc.)

I understand that depending on the circumstances, there's probably a million and two different ways to interpret it.

But is there any, general, vague explanation/meaning for dying in your dreams?

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-02-02 7:24
Find
Give Thanks
Chris
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Re: Dying in Your Dreams?
I thought that it was impossible to die in your dreams. o.O
2008-02-02 10:19
Find
Give Thanks
kahoku
IT freelancer
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

simim23 Wrote:But is there any, general, vague explanation/meaning for dying in your dreams?

the only interpretation i've ever heard is that a part of you is dying, i.e. you change. perhaps it's an old habit you're getting rid of, or just a minor part of your identity.

as i said elsewhere, i don't have these dreams as frequently as you do, but i know what you're talking about. most of the time i'm going back to my natural form after dying.

there are other dreams in which i fight/run for my life, but that's not the same thing. dying itself has never been an unpleasant dream experience for me.

Support OKP! >> [Image: x-click-but04.gif] << Get a unique user title!
[Image: reannaganbanner3.png]
2008-02-02 14:19
Find
Give Thanks
Luinbariel
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I also have experienced this, though not as often either... I can sure remember the pain when I died, though. I died as me, as I am now, about three times that I can actively remember. Once I was shot in the stomach, and I felt myself grow cold as blood loss continued, watched my vision fade, listened to my shooters laugh as they ran away.

Once I was stabbed through the stomach with a lance by a female. We were sorta amazons I think. That one hurt terribly, but I managed to get her back before dieing.

The third was just a stabbing, equally painful.

One lame explanation I've heard for it might have something to do with a slight actual physical pain to your body while it is sleeping; whether it be a muscle cramp or laying on it funny or something, and it translates into the dream as some sort of physical harm.

[Image: eigthheavenaffiliate-1.jpg]
2008-02-02 17:11
Find
Give Thanks
Rein
Nuisance
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I've never completely died in a dream before, but I sure have come close. Almost drowned saving a girl once, almost gotten eaten by things, almost got beheaded one time for doing something I can't remember, and blades seem to like my body very much in the dreamscape.

The closest I ever came to dream-death was in my recent blood+-themed dream. I got into a swordfight with another girl, but lost terribly. I almost bled to death, blacked out, but in the dream I woke up later after someone saved me.

I suppose I should feel lucky or something. o_o;;
2008-02-02 18:06
Find
Give Thanks
Taiaka
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Take this with a grain of salt, but it has been said that reoccuring dreams of death mean that you are desperately trying to stop a change in your life that is out of your control.

Tai

"Will minus intellect constitutes vulgarity." -Arthur Schopenhauer

[Image: smokersigwt8.jpg]
2008-02-02 19:01
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I frequently die in my dreams, and am usually so annoyed with myself for letting myself get killed that I resurrect in some fashion. XD The only time this doesn't happen is when I dream of dying by falling. I equate those dreams with how I died as a shinoar. But I've been stabbed, shot, had my throat slit, another one where I had a bomb-collar go off ala battle royale, and been beaten to death.
2008-02-03 0:52
Find
Give Thanks
simim23
Eager beaver
Kintype:
Otherkin:

Taiaka Wrote:Take this with a grain of salt, but it has been said that reoccuring dreams of death mean that you are desperately trying to stop a change in your life that is out of your control.

Tai

Well, I *would* agree with you, but I've always had these dreams. I mean, since I can remember. They USED to bug me, but they're not unpleasant now so much as intriguing.

I mean, right now, there is a certain thing I'd love to change but have no control over. But that wouldn't explain having these dreams before the situation came up. Usually, change is change and I like it. ^_^

Simim: Rainbow poop at your disservice.
[Image: 313pq88.png]
2008-02-03 17:34
Find
Give Thanks
pelagic_soul
Trying to get along life while maintaining at least a shred of my sanity.....and there it goes, out the window..
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

You're unsettled, maybe. Unsettled with your current position in life, feel trapped, etc... That's the only thing I can come up with for having so many dreams of where you die. I've only died once in any of my dreams, otherwise I've had people pull guns on me and chase me down in others, but I never die, and the one that I did..was because I was being chased by radioactive, glowing green spiders and jumped off the top of a building to get away ._.

..But then I came back to life.
2008-03-18 23:10
Find
Give Thanks
Archer
Suing You
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick tick tick 

I think the first important question is: what does death signify to you, personally? The second important question is: given that you have different emotional reactions to the deaths, can you see any similarities or connections between different deaths that you react to the same way? Do all "happy" deaths share any other motifs, etc?

Ubi Dubium, Ibi Libertas

Quote:"I have suffered from being misunderstood, but I would have suffered a hell of a lot more if I had been understood."

[Image: neverforgetm.png]
2008-03-18 23:57
Find
Give Thanks