Hide background
READ THIS!

Welcome to the Otherkinphenomena forum.

You really have to follow these instructions! Instructions will update as you progress.

If you wish to post on, or access most of the content of our forum and our community, please click here to register first, then follow the instructions below. If you have already registered, please log in, in the above "Hello There, Guest!" box.

Thanks for understanding and see you around.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dragonology (Dr. Ernest Drake)
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick tick 

Dragonology (Dr. Ernest Drake)
One of the things I seem to love doing with my money is spending it on reference type books based on or at least have a fairly large focus concerning dragons. One example in particular is one of the many childrens –ologiy books out. Dragonology is a surprisingly entertaining find that is as interactive as a book can get without being written in one’s and zeroes.

Now, I know the age range for this runs in this single digits, but hear me out. This is some great stuff (at least when taken into consideration the target audience).

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.dragonology.com/">http://www.dragonology.com/</a><!-- m -->

The information is widely researched and based off of a decent amount of accounts that are the most notable. Also, the range of information along with the matter it’s presented was delightful.

So, as fellow otherkin of various draconic sorts (and maybe some of the rest ‘o yah), have you checked this thing out and if so what was your reaction? Way too childish? Just down right silly? Maybe as a useful resource? Mixed feelings of any sorts are also welcome.

I personally got giddy going on about the ‘dragon dust’ in the back that was represented by glitter which I claimed could cause cancer if breathed in the frequently (what? Might have been true in a past life).

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-06-13 10:16
Find
Give Thanks
Shyrokino
Fly on the wall
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

Re: Dragonology (Dr. Ernest Drake)
My mom got me that book when it first came out to help me with drawing dragons. That and she knew that I love dragons. I like the book it is very entertaining. My cousin and I decided to translate the little note or whatever it was that was written in "Dragon". Even though the target audience is younger children I enjoy it a lot ^_^.
2008-06-13 13:56
Find
Give Thanks
Deros
High School/College Student
Kintype:
Otherkin:

It annoys me. Other than the runes and the riddles. When I was a little younger, I swore the death of Dr. Ernest Drake.

[Image: Banner-1.jpg]
I would have learned a lot from life if I hadn't spent most of my time being educated.
2008-06-13 14:46
Find
Give Thanks
Shiari
Veterinary Technician
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

It is entertaining as a work of fiction. The problems begin though when those children fail to realise that it is indeed *fiction*. They grow up a little, come onto otherkin and dragonkin forums, and proceed to spout "knowledge" from this book, and are then shocked/horrified/angry/belligerent when we contest that and say it isn't true. Then there is drama and threads of fire, and it's a general nuisance.
2008-06-13 15:26
Find
Give Thanks
Granamyr
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution: tick 

I don't care for it...too D and Dish if I remember and am thinking of the right book.
2008-06-14 2:48
Find
Give Thanks
farlane
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

i think that it is very cute and enjoyable... you just have to remember the age range that it was meant for

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
2008-08-13 1:34
Find
Give Thanks
chaitea
Registered Nurse
Kintype:
Otherkin:

No wonder I enjoy it so much
(Is not so secretly a five your old in a 22 year olds body)

Home is where the hoard is
[Image: tactless_dragon_banner.png]
2008-08-13 9:58
Find
Give Thanks
farlane
Copy cat
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

sis if your five how old dose that make me*smiles Innocently* though i really love the models that come with the books

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
2008-08-13 17:34
Find
Give Thanks
Stig
Fly on the wall
Kintype:
Otherkin:
Contribution:

I also have this book. I got it for Christmas one year. Yes, it is geared for young people. yes, while based in some fact it is basically fiction. But in my mind seriousness and fact are not the point of the book. Books like this can serve two purposes. One, for young impressionable readers not only can it make them more interested in books in general but it can give a sense of wonder to dragons. Sure, most of the info isn't accurate but if it sparks the interest or the imagination that they will find the more accurate info. And that can only helps us. Second, it shows that we shouldn't really take ourselves too seriously all the time. Lightheartedness and being able to laugh at/about oneself is important. One example is my avatar picture of the chibi red dragon. The 'Fool' is an important archetype to have. This book, i think, brings a sense of wonder and innocence to dragons which is important if people are ever going to see as more than just wild beasts.
2008-11-15 9:59
Find
Give Thanks
Annwyn
Super Moderator
Kintype:
Otherkin:

I have glanced at this and even flipped through (my friend has it) and thought it was really cute. I also have the Wizardology calendar (my parents got it for me for Christmas last year). I think it's all fluff, lol, but still really entertaining at the same time.

--Sarah

Members: Gabriel, Lestat, Nico, Fenrir, and Nathaniel.
2008-11-15 12:52
Find
Give Thanks